Undesigned coincidences in the Gospels

a few examples; discussion invited

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Undesigned coincidences in the Gospels

#181  Postby Shrunk » Apr 11, 2012 10:15 am

Onyx8 wrote:Fancy what?

Another undesigned coincidence, of course: After the fictitious exodus of the fictitious Israelites from Egypt, they committed a fictitious genocide against the fictitious Canaanites. I guess you add up all those fictitious events and by some magical alchemy the become non-fictitious.

What is not fictitious is the "moral" lesson to be drawn from the latter story: That genocide is OK if God orders it.
Last edited by Shrunk on Apr 11, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#182  Postby proudfootz » Apr 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:Fancy what?

Another undesigned coincidence, of course: After the ficititious exodus of the fictitious Israelites from Egypt, they committed a fictitious genocide against the fictitious Canaanites. I guess you add up all those fictitious events and by some magical alchemy the become non-fictitious.

What is not fictitious is the "moral" lesson to be drawn from the latter story: That genocide is OK if God orders it.

Yes, many have taken away this 'moral message' based on stories invented by men and used it as justification for their very real genocidal rampages.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#183  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 12, 2012 7:22 am

Shrunk wrote:Another undesigned coincidence, of course: After the fictitious exodus of the fictitious Israelites from Egypt, they committed a fictitious genocide against the fictitious Canaanites. I guess you add up all those fictitious events and by some magical alchemy the become non-fictitious.

And thereby setting the Biblical precedent for that pillar of moral homilies "Two wrongs make a right". :smug:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity