Virgin Mary's Lips 'move' On Painting During Prayer

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Virgin Mary's Lips 'move' On Painting During Prayer

#1  Postby DoctorE » Jul 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Stunned believers are flocking to the church to witness the unusual sight that has left even sceptics scratching their heads :crazy:
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Virgin Mary's Lips 'move' On Painting During Prayer

#2  Postby Shrunk » Jul 23, 2015 2:51 pm

One Youtube commentator provided the likely explanation:

New cameras use CCD chips to capture an image. When you zoom in too much it's no longer using the optical sensor but instead the CCD (digital) zoom. Basically by mobbing your camera slightly (i.e holding it) it's causing the pixels of that chip to capture different colors around her lips making it look like their moving. Try filming it again with a higher quality camera and no zoom and I doubt you'll see any movement.

At which point, the person who filmed the video and everyone else who believed this was a miracle said, "Why, of course. That's so obvious. Why didn't I think of that? That'll teach me to be so gullible."

In my dreams, anyway.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby felltoearth » Jul 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Considering the above I doubt if this is related but..

If you've ever been to the Rothko Room at the Tate Modern, there are a few paintings that have an interesting effect that I have witnessed where colors seem to "flow" from lighter to darker areas of his canvases. I attribute this to light levels in the room, under and over painting of colors and how the eye adjusts to the colour it is observing.

It is a pretty wild experience.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shrunk » Jul 23, 2015 4:13 pm

felltoearth wrote:Considering the above I doubt if this is related but..

If you've ever been to the Rothko Room at the Tate Modern, there are a few paintings that have an interesting effect that I have witnessed where colors seem to "flow" from lighter to darker areas of his canvases. I attribute this to light levels in the room, under and over painting of colors and how the eye adjusts to the colour it is observing.

It is a pretty wild experience.

I think I've told this story before, but my family went to the Abstract Expressionism New York show at the AGO a few years ago. Normally, my kids (who were 14 and 16 at the time) would go thru an art show more quickly than my wife and I and then wait for us in the gift shop that inevitably forms the final "room" of any big exhibit. This time, however, they doubled back thru the exhibit and when we were done we found them sitting and staring transfixed at one of the Rothkos. We asked if they were ready to leave, and the older replied "Almost."

Back to the topic at hand: If you really thought a picture on your wall was moving its lips, what would you do? You'd pull up a chair or ladder and look at it from as close a distance as you could, right? You wouldn't just take a crappy cell-phone video from a distance and consider the matter settled, like this bozo does. That shows to me he realizes this is just an illusion, and doesn't want to break it.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Jul 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Chuck E. Cheese's lips don't even move, so this must be a miracle.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Evolving » Jul 23, 2015 5:59 pm

It's pretty poor that you can see her lips move while she's speaking for that dummy.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan B » Jul 23, 2015 6:49 pm

Yeah. If you look closely (full screen) at at any of the edges you can see pixilating all over as the image shakes.

Jesus. Some people are so fucking gullible.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Shrunk » Jul 23, 2015 6:56 pm

Alan B wrote:Yeah. If you look closely (full screen) at at any of the edges you can see pixilating all over as the image shakes.

Jesus. Some people are so fucking gullible.

In particular, look at the lighter spot on her right shoulder.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Alan B » Jul 23, 2015 7:13 pm

Missed that. It's bleeding obvious, innit?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Jul 23, 2015 9:50 pm

Oh ye of little faith. Of course it's a miracle! It's God in his infinite power and wisdom and shit sort of kind of maybe making the lips of a fucking painting move. That's some goddamn He-Man grade power there! Now some might say that he could do something a bit more, well, fucking useful, like reverse global warming or growing a few amputated limbs back, but mysterious ways, dude, mysterious ways. Besides, He couldn't test your faith by being too bleeding obvious, could he?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 23, 2015 10:02 pm

It's the work of Satan. Hail Satan!
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Shrunk » Jul 24, 2015 1:28 am

The ironic thing is this guy thinks he's providing evidence for Christianity, when in fact he's doing just the opposite. If a Christian claims that the resurrection must have happened because of the "eyewitness testimony" that proves it, here we have the video evidence to the contrary: People will believe anything if they want to badly enough.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 24, 2015 6:37 am

They would believe anything. Remember the moving statues in Ireland. That made a nice bit of money for the locals.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Blackadder » Jul 24, 2015 6:47 am

The only religious education any child should ever get is to watch Life of Brian once every school term until they leave school. It will equip them to recognise religious fuckwittery a mile off and laugh at it.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 24, 2015 10:20 am

If she is moving her mouth, she doesn't appear to approve.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Christianity