What are the superiorities of Christianity over Islam ?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: What are the superiorities of Christianity over Islam ?

#121  Postby Thommo » May 03, 2016 1:40 pm

Just for you, I've put the two images (of the full data set for the same period this time) side by side.

I can't say I find the lack of a blank space under the second one makes the slightest difference whatsoever. Unsurprisingly the shapes look pretty much identical. Neither one resembles an exponential curve more than the other.

Personally I think saying that two and a half million people is "hardly any" growth is vastly more misleading, but there you go. Whatever it was that caused you to think this was some shape that you now think it isn't needn't be worried about any further.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby Leucius Charinus » May 12, 2016 3:13 am

IMO Christianity and Islam are book religions that were implemented in antiquity by warlords at the zenith of their military power in order to efficiently rule large geographical areas that they had recently conquered. War is a racket. The centralised monotheistic state book religions of Christianity and Islam (to name only two) are the spin-off rackets of the racket of war.

Christianity was implemented in a political sense in the 4th century by the Roman Emperor Constantine, the supreme military commander of the Roman EMpire, on the wings of civil war which his army won. Ditto more than three centuries later those who inherited the military power of Muhammad's Empire implemented Islam as a centralised monotheistic state religion.

There are no superiorities of one over the other. They are both Orwellian. If anything the Christian cult has had an additional three hundred years to become more progressive and humane but even today the church is often seen as a safe harbour for paedophiles and scammers. Go back three hundred years and the Christians were enforcing blasphemy and heresy laws, were executing those deemed to be heretics and were conducting inquisitions. There are no superiorities in any of this.

Just my 2c worth.

FWIW

"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

#123  Postby Briton » May 12, 2016 9:49 am

Sgt Kelly wrote:
Briton wrote:One thing about Christianity, it doesn't have a name for non-Christians. Islam has kafirs and Judaism gentiles but Christianity doesn't seem to talk about non-Christians in the same way the other obnoxious Abramahic religions do.

Of course it does. Heretics, heathens, unbelievers, unsaved, take your pick.

Missed this. When speaking English the other religions could use those though. I don't see a Christian equivalent to kafir and gentile.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#124  Postby NineBerry » May 12, 2016 11:00 am

"Heretic" is not originally an English word.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#125  Postby Briton » May 12, 2016 4:39 pm

NineBerry wrote:"Heretic" is not originally an English word.

Many English words are not originally English words. It's not really comparable to kafir or gentile either.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#126  Postby laklak » May 12, 2016 5:30 pm

They're both shite.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#127  Postby NineBerry » May 12, 2016 6:50 pm

Briton wrote:
NineBerry wrote:"Heretic" is not originally an English word.

Many English words are not originally English words. It's not really comparable to kafir or gentile either.

Yeah. But when it was introduced into England, it was a foreign word and specifically used by the Christian church to refer to unbelievers. So the idea that Christianity doesn't have special words compared to Islam and Judaism is faulty.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby SkyMutt » May 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Briton wrote:
Sgt Kelly wrote:
Briton wrote:One thing about Christianity, it doesn't have a name for non-Christians. Islam has kafirs and Judaism gentiles but Christianity doesn't seem to talk about non-Christians in the same way the other obnoxious Abramahic religions do.

Missed this. When speaking English the other religions could use those though. I don't see a Christian equivalent to kafir and gentile.

Perhaps no longer. "Miscreant" originally meant "infidel," and carried with it such negative associations that it became a general term for "villainous" and "depraved." Now it has weakened so that it often means "minor offender."
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#129  Postby aban57 » May 12, 2016 7:51 pm

SkyMutt wrote:
Briton wrote:
Sgt Kelly wrote:

Perhaps no longer. "Miscreant" originally meant "infidel," and carried with it such negative associations that it became a general term for "villainous" and "depraved." Now it has weakened so that it often means "minor offender."

This word still keeps the same meaning today in French, a "mécréant" is an unbeliever (among other more modern meanings).
Don't know who took it from whom though.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity