What are the superiorities of Christianity over Islam ?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

What are the superiorities of Christianity over Islam ?

#1  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 31, 2016 6:36 am

Such a title would be very popular in any other forum but to tell the truth I don't expect that much attention, still want to know if there are things you feel better for society and personal life in Christianity over Islam.

As usual people prefer to keep some of the rules of religion and not to keep others when there is disadvantage for their objectives. So it's hard to call this is a rule of this religion.

But if we keep going on the mainstream Christianity we can accept an absolute peace message first of all.

This is something I found very attractive about Christianity but only in narrow sense which I'll discuss in a likely thread under Islam title.

Another thing I envy in Christianity it's very compatible with secularism and today's modern state system when compared with Islam.

Even if there is any political objective of Christianity I never heard of it, can we say returning of Jews to promised land for the second coming of Jesus ? This isn't mentioned as much mentioned as Muslims planned takeover of Rome.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What are the superiorities of Christianity over Islam ?

#2  Postby Scar » Mar 31, 2016 6:45 am

Christianity is just more deceptive and hypocritical than Islam. Islam, in many parts of the world, at lest admit it wants to fuck up people. Peace message my ass.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Mar 31, 2016 6:47 am

If you want to make thread "popular" just say the magic words .. "militant atheist" lol

I dunno much about Christianity and fuck all about Islam. From my experience community here is well educated in Christianity but knows fuck all about Islam. Also it could be useful to distinguish between practice and theory, especially in historical context as I do not think comparing contemporary Christianity is fair comparison to contemporary Islam.

Political objective of Christianity is, to me, clear: to get more followers thus more influence.

---
edit: see for example here: Should Christianity be credited for the rise of the West? - http://www.rationalskepticism.org/histo ... t7252.html

on this board, no religion except militant atheism lol will get credit and much less superiority.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby Briton » Mar 31, 2016 8:51 am

Islam is superior to Christianity in protecting it's self from the Enlightenment and preventing it's victims (Muslims) from recieving the benefits of social progress.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Mar 31, 2016 9:10 am

None. Christianity is just as trash as Islam. The idea of separation of church and state came into effect in America because early settlers of different Christian sects were knocking the crap out of each other and in towns where they were a minority, were making life difficult for anyone else. A phenomena which is still seen today in parts.

Just look to Africa where some American preachers have gotten their grubby mitts into. In Uganda they even influenced the death penalty against homosexuals. Something which they would love to implement over here if they got the chance.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby campermon » Mar 31, 2016 9:11 am

In answer to the title;

Beer and Bacon.

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Mar 31, 2016 9:19 am

Considering issues western societies have with obesity and cancer and issues stemming from alcohol abuse, I do not think so.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 9:44 am

campermon wrote:In answer to the title;

Beer and Bacon.

/thread
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby tuco » Mar 31, 2016 9:52 am

Indeed, close it, mods, close it.
tuco

Print view this post

#10  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 31, 2016 10:07 am

tuco wrote:Indeed, close it, mods, close it.

:nanana:
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby tuco » Mar 31, 2016 10:16 am

I told you ...
tuco

Print view this post

#12  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 31, 2016 8:25 pm

The only reason Christianity gives the appearance of being more compatible with secular societies than Islam, is because Europe had a long period of internecine religious wars, during which different sects demonstrated that they couldn't be trusted not to resort to homicidal repression of the opposition. As a result, the Enlightenment brought in secularism to stop the various sects from trying to murder each other. The power of various churches to meddle in politics was subject to increasing restraint, as that murderous history made it manifest that this was needed. Make no mistake, if Christian sects ever regained the power they had in the past, they'd be just as murderous as they once were. in that respect, the only possible reason for preferring Christianity over Islam at the moment, is because Christianity's homicidal tendencies have been more effectively dealt with than those endemic to Islam.

The Islamic world hasn't yet had its full millennium of internecine warfare between different sects on the same scale, though there are definite signs that this is now beginning. When the Islamic world has had that millennium of internal slaughter, it might become as fed up with religion as the West became. But I suspect it'll take a millennium of murderous mayhem internally, before the Islamic world decides to embrace secularism.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby scott1328 » Mar 31, 2016 8:28 pm

When someone resolves this question, then perhaps answer this one:

What is superior: stage IV brain cancer or stage IV lung cancer.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Sendraks » Mar 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Calilasseia wrote:The Islamic world hasn't yet had its full millennium of internecine warfare between different sects on the same scale, though there are definite signs that this is now beginning. When the Islamic world has had that millennium of internal slaughter, it might become as fed up with religion as the West became. But I suspect it'll take a millennium of murderous mayhem internally, before the Islamic world decides to embrace secularism.

I think the more telling thing is that whilst Islam does have its different sects which have variously attempted to murder and oppress each other throughout history, the religion hasn't experienced the sort of challenge to the religious leaders which Christianty experienced through Protestantism.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 31, 2016 9:30 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:The Islamic world hasn't yet had its full millennium of internecine warfare between different sects on the same scale, though there are definite signs that this is now beginning. When the Islamic world has had that millennium of internal slaughter, it might become as fed up with religion as the West became. But I suspect it'll take a millennium of murderous mayhem internally, before the Islamic world decides to embrace secularism.

I think the more telling thing is that whilst Islam does have its different sects which have variously attempted to murder and oppress each other throughout history, the religion hasn't experienced the sort of challenge to the religious leaders which Christianty experienced through Protestantism.

Which is going to be slightly more difficult to achieve, because last time I checked, Islam doesn't have its equivalent of the Pope. It's had internal tensions between the Sunni and Shia branches from very early on in its history, and hasn't had a monolithic absolute ruler of the sort that the Pope constituted within Christianity for the best part of a millennium. Each of the major branches will need their own analogue of the Reformation, if the parallel scenario you envisage is going to occur. As a consequence, I think it's more likely that increasing disgust with internecine warfare will be the principal factor, rather than any direct theological challenge of the sort Martin Luther provided as the launchpad for the Reformation.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Ven. Kwan Tam Woo » Apr 01, 2016 4:55 am

campermon wrote:In answer to the title;

Beer and Bacon.

And not encouraging people to cut off baby girls' clitties.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within."
- Cicero

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex
Ven. Kwan Tam Woo

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Ven. Kwan Tam Woo » Apr 01, 2016 5:48 am

Calilasseia wrote:The only reason Christianity gives the appearance of being more compatible with secular societies than Islam, is because Europe had a long period of internecine religious wars, during which different sects demonstrated that they couldn't be trusted not to resort to homicidal repression of the opposition.

...and pay no attention to that whole "render unto Caesar" thingy that Jesus said. Islam has had 14 centuries of factional war, the Sunni/Shia split goes right back to the time of Mohammed's death and it was just as bitter then as it is now.

As a result, the Enlightenment brought in secularism to stop the various sects from trying to murder each other.

Relative to Islamic sacred texts, the New Testament is quite ambiguous, tolerant and similar to Hellenistic thought. Unlike Islam, Christianity has no formal doctrine of abrogation which tells you which contradictory verses to follow and which to ignore, just as it has no officially recognized biography or supplementary collection of the sayings and doings of Jesus (like the Sira and Hadith respectively) which provide clarification about how to interpret ambiguous verses in the Bible. Were this not the case, the Enlightenment either would have been crushed in its infancy or - like in the Islamic world- never even would have happened in the first place. The New Testament merely threaten unbelievers, blasphemers and apostates with eternal hell-fire, while Islamic sacred texts explicitly demand that they be killed as well.

The power of various churches to meddle in politics was subject to increasing restraint, as that murderous history made it manifest that this was needed.

So why hasn't the murderous history of Islamic factions made the same thing clear to the Muslim world? Oh that's right, because at it's core Islam is a totalitarian political ideology masquerading as a religion. It is an ideology which makes it clear that Mohammed is the supreme paragon of human virtue and that all morality is to be assessed based on what he did, said and revealed in the Quran. And Mohammed did, said, and revealed some pretty fucking nasty things.

Make no mistake, if Christian sects ever regained the power they had in the past, they'd be just as murderous as they once were.

How can you know that?

in that respect, the only possible reason for preferring Christianity over Islam at the moment, is because Christianity's homicidal tendencies have been more effectively dealt with than those endemic to Islam.

And you don't think the inherent doctrinal differences between the two ideologies might - just might - have something to do with that?

The Islamic world hasn't yet had its full millennium of internecine warfare

It's had almost fourteen hundred years of internecine warfare!

When the Islamic world has had that millennium of internal slaughter, it might become as fed up with religion as the West became. But I suspect it'll take a millennium of murderous mayhem internally, before the Islamic world decides to embrace secularism.

No it won't, because: 1) ALL virtue in Islam is derived from the example and teachings of Muhammad, and Muhammad was a bloodthirsty megalomanaical psychopath; and 2) a perverse form of artificial selection is at work in the Muslim world, whereby the most reasonable and intelligent of people either get killed for daring to openly think for themselves, flee from Muslim lands and then leave Islam, or are pressured (especially if they're women) into marrying a cousin and producing idiot inbred children. That, incidentally, is a big part of why the Muslim world has never returned to its much-pined-for "Golden Age" - and never will.

Each of the major branches will need their own analogue of the Reformation, if the parallel scenario you envisage is going to occur.

Ha! Don't hold your breath. First of all, the Christian Reformation was about getting back to the Bible and following it closely as possible. So you could say that there already is a "Reformation" going on in Islam right now, and it's being led by groups like Boko Haram and Islamic State. Secondly, the Islamic sacred texts are quite adamant on the point that you absolutely cannot remove or edit parts of them (not even the abrogated bits), nor can you reinterpret them in ways which are inconsistent with the example of Mohammed. Thirdly, if any of the branches of Islam actually tried to have a Reformation of the fanciful kind that you are referring to, the other branches would promptly exterminate them for their blasphemy/apostasy.

As a consequence, I think it's more likely that increasing disgust with internecine warfare will be the principal factor, rather than any direct theological challenge of the sort Martin Luther provided as the launchpad for the Reformation.

It's hard to have disgust for such violence when you've been drilled to believe from a very young age that it's a fast track to eternal paradise. For Muslims, the life of this world pales in significance compared to the afterlife. As it stands, Islam has many factors which are pushing it to become even more violent and intolerant as time goes on. The impending Islamic conquest of Western Europe (United Kaliphat of Al Beeyon included) is one such factor.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within."
- Cicero

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex
Ven. Kwan Tam Woo

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Sendraks » Apr 01, 2016 9:37 am

Ven. Kwan Tam Woo wrote:It's had almost fourteen hundred years of internecine warfare!

Not nearly to the extent that the Christian world has had. Not by a long shot.

Ven. Kwan Tam Woo wrote: The impending Islamic conquest of Western Europe (United Kaliphat of Al Beeyon included) is one such factor.

How impending is it? Tomorrow? A months time? A year? A decade? A century? To a timeframe that would make the use of the word "impending" look inappropriate?

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Nicko » Apr 01, 2016 9:47 am

scott1328 wrote:When someone resolves this question, then perhaps answer this one:

What is superior: stage IV brain cancer or stage IV lung cancer.

Or who would win in a fight, Santa or the Easter Bunny?

Just kidding, that one's easy. Batman of course.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby NineBerry » Apr 01, 2016 9:48 am

The funny thing is that the rise of fundamentalist thought that we see in the Islamic world today (and among some of the Muslim minorities in the West) is not that different from the Reformation in Christian Europe.

The message of the Reformation was to question the established authorities. do away with folk religiosity, all the new stuff like saints etc that were introduced over time and return to a pure version of the religion. This is not that far from the fundamentalist Islamists that want a pure religion based on Quran and Hadiths alone.

And we must not forget that it was the Reformation that sparked a century of very violent religious conflict in Europe. And one can argue that many forms of early reformed Christianity was much more violent and strict than mainstream Catholicism at that time. For example, witch hunts at that time were more prevalent among Protestant communities than Catholic communities.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity