Whoops, no saint after all

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Whoops, no saint after all

#1  Postby Simon_Gardner » Mar 06, 2010 11:07 am

The Guardian wrote:Pope’s sainthood setback after ‘miracle cure’ nun reported to be ill again

Hopes John Paul’s canonisation would be fast-tracked by Sister Marie Simon-Pierre’s recovery from Parkinson’s receive set back

It was the miracle that set Pope John Paul II on the road to sainthood and provided faithful followers with proof of his holy powers. But hopes that the former pope’s canonisation would be fast-tracked by Sister Marie Simon-Pierre’s recovery from Parkinson’s disease have been set back by reports that the French nun has fallen ill again.

Simon-Pierre described three years ago how she regained her health after a night of prayer to the then recently deceased Polish pontiff. John Paul also suffered from Parkinson’s disease, which is incurable.

“It’s like a second birth,” she said at the time. “I feel like I’ve discovered a new body, new limbs.”

In 2007 Simon-Pierre could barely move her left side, could not write legibly, drive or move around easily and was in constant pain.

Her disease worsened after the pope’s death, and her order prayed for his intervention to ease her suffering. Then after writing his name on a paper one night, she woke up the next day apparently cured and returned to work as a maternity nurse with no traces of the disease.

But according to the Polish daily newspaper Rzeczpospolita, one of the doctors charged with scrutinising the nun’s case believed she might have been suffering from a similar nervous disease, not Parkinson’s, which could go into sudden remission. A report on the paper’s website went further, saying that the 49-year-old nun had become sick again with the same illness.

The Vatican was making no comment on the grounds that the late pope’s case was still under examination.

Although no date has been fixed for the late pope’s beatification, there had been an expectation that it would be announced in mid-October. His case was fast-tracked by his successor, Pope Benedict, and the anniversary of John Paul’s election falls on 16 October.

The first sign that all might not be as it should be came when the Vatican fixed the canonisation of six new saints for the following day, a Sunday, making a beatification the same weekend impossible.

Vatican sources stressed that the panel of doctors which will examine the evidence relating to Simon-Pierre’s recovery was not due to meet until April, when it will consider a report by two medical experts.

Beatification is an intermediate step on the road to canonisation, though not all of those declared “blessed” go on to become saints. Beatification requires at least one miracle. A second is needed for sainthood.

The Vatican, whose congregation [department] for the cause of saints deals with canonisations and beatifications, has been under relentless pressure to speed up John Paul’s progress. On the day of his funeral in 2005 there were unparalleled scenes in St Peter’s Square, when the crowd took up a chant of “santo subito”, or “saint straightaway”.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/05/nun-cured-pope-parkinsons-ill
Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Whoops, no saint after all

#2  Postby DoctorE » Mar 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Ohh magic dilemma at Hogwarts houses.. uhh the Vatican; :lol:
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#3  Postby fossil-fish » Mar 06, 2010 7:33 pm

God can be a real bastard sometimes.
:roll:
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Douglas Adams
fossil-fish

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Ashton Black » Mar 07, 2010 1:53 pm

What a waste of brain matter religion is.
Ashton Black

Print view this post

#5  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Do you think they actually suggest all of this bullshit with a straight face, or d'you reckon it's just cynical (and not particularly sophisticated) propaganda that someone like Kim Jong Il might put out?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 07, 2010 3:55 pm

I rather suspect it's done with true belief. It's just that thanks to advances in medicine, it's getting harder and harder to identify spontaneous remission as a "miracle" any more.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 07, 2010 4:23 pm

lordshipmayhem wrote:I rather suspect it's done with true belief. It's just that thanks to advances in medicine, it's getting harder and harder to identify spontaneous remission as a "miracle" any more.

Really? We all know they're desperately looking for a miracle they can attribute to Mother Teresa.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Shaker » Mar 08, 2010 11:22 am

Pope’s sainthood setback after ‘miracle cure’ nun reported to be ill again

I'm sorry, I know this may be harsh of me as I wish nobody ill, but that headline just made me :lol:
To be boosted by an illusion is not to live better than to live in harmony with the truth ... these refusals to part with a decayed illusion are really an infection to the mind. - George Santayana
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 09, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:Do you think they actually suggest all of this bullshit with a straight face, or d'you reckon it's just cynical (and not particularly sophisticated) propaganda that someone like Kim Jong Il might put out?

I really am not sure. I remember when people were saying how, in this day ande, they weren't going to be able to give Mother Therea sainthood as it required three miracles. Got to have witnesses.

Well, how many people swear they saw Elvis alive?

The first girl I ever went on a date with (yes I was raised in Fundamentalist, USA) swore she saw a man do the 'loafs and fish' miracle. She had some sort of nervous disorder but hey. I met more than one person who swore they saw miracles. Never seemed to happen when I was there though and I was a believer then. I guess it was because I didn't count certain scenarios as miracles while other people did.

Preacher: We've never met before right?

Man in wheelchair: Gosh sakes, George, I'm your brother.

Preacher: Shut up, you idiot, and stand up.

Man jumps up.

Oh I'm cured, I'm cured. Praise da Lord and give me my paycheck.

Okay, I never saw anything quite that bad but close. To quote the sheriff from "Blazing Saddles", "They is dumb."
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

Return to Christianity