Georgia Guidestones

what's it about?

Discussions on 9/11, moon landing etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Ironclad, Onyx8

Georgia Guidestones

#1  Postby inkaStepa » Feb 21, 2011 3:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones They talk about "the age of reason" but what's up with these? Is it some kind of hoax or I don't understand why they are there to be honest. I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories but this is just weird.
inkaStepa
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 463
Age: 23
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Georgia Guidestones

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 21, 2011 4:16 pm

What is it you don't understand? What do you mean by a hoax? I don't really get what your trouble is here?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods.
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 18055
Age: 38
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#3  Postby inkaStepa » Feb 21, 2011 4:28 pm

It has rules for governing humanity....and I'm wondering why someone would randomly put them up.
inkaStepa
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 463
Age: 23
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#4  Postby Invictus_88 » Feb 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Shits and giggle?
User avatar
Invictus_88
 
Posts: 293

Guernsey (gg)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#5  Postby inkaStepa » Feb 21, 2011 5:02 pm

If it were on private property I wouldn't bat on eye but it's not...am I the only one who thinks it's weird?
inkaStepa
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 463
Age: 23
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#6  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 22, 2011 6:44 am

inkaStepa wrote:It has rules for governing humanity....and I'm wondering why someone would randomly put them up.


To encourage people to question, to instigate discussion, to express an opinion, for a laugh, to confuse people?

Why do people do anything? If you don't know the person, and don't know their motive, their actions can often seem obscure or opaque.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods.
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 18055
Age: 38
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 22, 2011 6:50 am

inkaStepa wrote:If it were on private property I wouldn't bat on eye but it's not...am I the only one who thinks it's weird?



It's obviously not a usual occurrence, but I am a bit concerned about agreeing to it being 'weird' when I am not sure what it is you find so strange here. You seem to be making something mystical out of a human action. Perhaps you could offer a little more detail about the things here you find so hard to reconcile?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods.
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 18055
Age: 38
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Georgia Guidestones

#8  Postby NeedAnswers » Feb 22, 2011 6:59 am

Well personally, I like the Georgia Guidestones. They are either Social Darwinist guidelines for running humanity (hard to reconcile) or perhaps post-apocalyptic guidelines for properly running humanity (totally acceptable in this case).

I've read that the supposed people who did these were Rosicrucians. Nobody knows for sure whether or not that is true, but it sounds and seems like it could be.
User avatar
NeedAnswers
 
Posts: 612

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#9  Postby tnjrp » Feb 22, 2011 7:07 am

It is obvious that whoever commisioned these to be put up wants everybody in the woo-woo land to think he/she is or has connections to the Rosicrucians. As to if that's really the case or not is unknown since we don't know who actually was behind this. Maybe someday we will, and possibly also find out if it is meant as a serious statement or something else.

My conspiracy theory: it's expensive viral marketing for some movie/tv-show/other-entertainment project that never materialized :mrgreen:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp
 
Posts: 3587
Age: 49
Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#10  Postby laklak » Feb 23, 2011 2:19 am

For teh lulz, I'd imagine.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Posts: 9112
Age: 60
Male

Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#11  Postby NeedAnswers » Feb 23, 2011 6:01 am

tnjrp wrote:It is obvious that whoever commisioned these to be put up wants everybody in the woo-woo land to think he/she is or has connections to the Rosicrucians. As to if that's really the case or not is unknown since we don't know who actually was behind this. Maybe someday we will, and possibly also find out if it is meant as a serious statement or something else.

My conspiracy theory: it's expensive viral marketing for some movie/tv-show/other-entertainment project that never materialized :mrgreen:


Well they have a good idea of who it was, the guy had a name and that name has been "connected" to the Rosicrucians but they don't claim the guidestones are theirs and they don't claim to have any type of evil will towards mankind. So then either they're lying or that explanation doesn't work.

I just find the guidestones themselves interesting. They're in Georgia, of all places. The heart of the "South" and they've got words in many different languages in an attempt to reach every kind of person. Why Georgia, of all places? :yuk:
User avatar
NeedAnswers
 
Posts: 612

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#12  Postby inkaStepa » Feb 23, 2011 6:09 am

I didn't mean they're weird in a mystical way but in a "what's the point of constucting something like this for no reason" way. Since I guess it's pointless then whoever paid for it must be an incredibly bored person...
inkaStepa
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 463
Age: 23
Female

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#13  Postby tnjrp » Feb 23, 2011 7:59 am

NeedAnswers wrote:Well they have a good idea of who it was, the guy had a name and that name has been "connected" to the Rosicrucians but they don't claim the guidestones are theirs and they don't claim to have any type of evil will towards mankind. So then either they're lying or that explanation doesn't work.
Err... Okay. Not. IOW, I'm not at all sure what you are saying here. Do Rosicrusians have some "evil will towards mankind" because "that explanation doesn't work" or what? :scratch:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp
 
Posts: 3587
Age: 49
Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#14  Postby NeedAnswers » Feb 24, 2011 3:20 am

tnjrp wrote:
NeedAnswers wrote:Well they have a good idea of who it was, the guy had a name and that name has been "connected" to the Rosicrucians but they don't claim the guidestones are theirs and they don't claim to have any type of evil will towards mankind. So then either they're lying or that explanation doesn't work.
Err... Okay. Not. IOW, I'm not at all sure what you are saying here. Do Rosicrusians have some "evil will towards mankind" because "that explanation doesn't work" or what? :scratch:


:shock: I'll reexplain that...

They do have an idea of a name for the guy who built or commissioned the guidestones to be built (they believe it to be a false name).

The Rosicrucians do not claim that they built the guidestones.

Either the RSC are lying about their motives (the things written on the guidestones can be taken in one of only a few popular understandings) and that they built it, or the idea that a Rosicrucian built it and the group backed it's words is not the correct explanation for the guidestones.

Sorry about the lack of clarity.
User avatar
NeedAnswers
 
Posts: 612

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#15  Postby tnjrp » Feb 24, 2011 8:05 am

NeedAnswers wrote:They do have an idea of a name for the guy who built or commissioned the guidestones to be built (they believe it to be a false name)
I do believe it is in fact known that the stones were commissioned by R.C. Christian, which is a quite direct allusion to the most probably legendary founder of the at-least-semilegendary original Rosicrusianism. Indeed it seems to have been always assumed a pseudonym but I'm not entirely sure on how thorough research this has been based on.

The Rosicrucians do not claim that they built the guidestones.
And it would be rather difficult to credit any such comments, be they denials or admittances. AFAIK there isn't any single group, sect or organization that can absolutely and without a contest claim to be the Rosicrusians, so you'll have to continue by specifying who is it you mean when using that term.

Either the RSC are lying about their motives (the things written on the guidestones can be taken in one of only a few popular understandings) and that they built it, or the idea that a Rosicrucian built it and the group backed it's words is not the correct explanation for the guidestones
What would be these popular undestandings that conflict with the ideas of enlightenment of humanity that has been part of the "Rosicrucian ethos" from the begining (as I understand)?
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp
 
Posts: 3587
Age: 49
Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Georgia Guidestones

#16  Postby Vaizard » Feb 26, 2011 3:39 am

Didn't they just do an episode about this on The History Channel? I don't know what happened to this channel, it used to be decent. Now whenever I turn it on it's some conspiracy theory nonsense with Freemasons, some shit on aliens, or something about bibilical prophecies.

Yeah, here it is. It was on Decoded a couple weeks back. I actually kind of like this show because they do a pretty decent job debunking conspiracy theories even if it is a bit melodramatic at times.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=257qyyK6KmI[/youtube]
Vaizard
 
Posts: 49

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#17  Postby NeedAnswers » Feb 26, 2011 4:07 am

In fact that was the episode that I was referring to when I said "they", tnjrp. I followed up on some research to see whether or not any sect of Rosicrucians take credit for the Guidestones, but I could not find any source that said that they did.

I agree with what the guidestones say in principle, however a few people argue about the context.

Either they're calling for a genocide (one popular, alarmist interpretation) or this is a post-apocalyptic guideline (the other idea). Those are just the two most popular that I've heard of, I don't know whether there are any other interpretations. Usually it's just that "Maintain population of 500m in balance with nature) thing that gets everyone.
User avatar
NeedAnswers
 
Posts: 612

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#18  Postby tnjrp » Feb 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Hmm, Histrionics Channel document you say? Interesting. As in "probably not, at least not in a good way". But maybe I shall have to try and take a look at it all the same to see what they are claiming.

I think the most obvious interpretation of the text is indeed that it's addressed to the survivors of an EOTWAWKI event. The most obvious perp therefore might be some Y2Kist with a little too much free money on his hands, and possibly Rosicrusian aspirations. It requires some jumping through the fruit loops from the NWO conspiracy loonies to twist it into something sensational enough to sell another book or DVD. The demographic is pretty acclimatized to all kinds of calamity after all.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp
 
Posts: 3587
Age: 49
Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#19  Postby NeedAnswers » Feb 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Eh, I like History Channel. I do agree it has turned itself into the Conspiracy Theory channel, but I'm always up for taking a look at the worst of what could be in terms of interesting events. At least they "investigate them", yet I always find that the most pressing questions are rarely asked, the team does not seem truly interested enough (they feign interest I feel, because they don't ask the right questions or dig deeper) and due to a "reality tv" trend some time is wasted with melodramatic arguing or bickering.

Still, the Guidestones make some good points to me. How do you feel about what is actually said on the guidestones?

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely - improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion - faith - tradition - and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth - beauty - love - seeking harmony with the infinite.
10. Be not a cancer on the earth - Leave room for nature - Leave room for nature.[4]


Maybe I'm a Rosicrucian or something, but I love this. There are some interesting things that can be gleaned from these points, and some of them are things that I came upon in my personal "soul searching" throughout my childhood and into my late teenage life. Numbers 2 and 3 are the only ones that confuse me, and leave a little room for someone to step up and say or do something radical and unwise. Guiding reproduction is essentially Eugenics. I don't believe in that, though it's a conundrum for me because I don't know whether or not people who are badly formed or who have unhealthy DNA should be able to reproduce. It's almost like an abortion to me, you are nearly ensuring that your child will die or live a scarred, difficult life. I don't know where I stand on abortion either. The other one, the living language, I'm on the fence about that. We could use a worldwide language but it should be optional, I wouldn't want to get rid of cultural languages that have persisted over thousands of years.
User avatar
NeedAnswers
 
Posts: 612

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Georgia Guidestones

#20  Postby aspire1670 » Feb 28, 2011 2:47 pm

The ten points read like a manifesto for eugenics with a little national socialism added for good measure.
psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670
 
Posts: 1454
Age: 65
Male

Country: UK
Print view this post

Next

Return to Conspiracy Theories

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest