Our Fake World

The world you see is not reality.

Discussions on 9/11, moon landing etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Our Fake World

#61  Postby JustStarDust » Nov 14, 2020 4:56 pm

People (everyone, not just believers, or skeptics) want proof of ... anything, really.

We may be close, but so far. Keep your eyes & mind open. I know that most of you have been through 'this kind of thing' before.

Believer > Skeptic
Skeptic > Believer

When that 'proof' is revealed, it may hit you like a ton of bricks. Whatever that 'proof' may be.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Hermit » Nov 14, 2020 10:14 pm

Still looking for some ultimate truth, JSD?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#63  Postby Caper » Nov 26, 2020 12:36 am

The_Metatron wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
Evolving wrote:That's when I fell for - the leader of the pack.

Leader? I thought we were an autonomous collective. :think:

You're fooling yourself.

You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#64  Postby The_Piper » Nov 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Help Help, I'm being repressed!
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby laklak » Nov 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#66  Postby The_Piper » Nov 26, 2020 10:19 pm

No they could be carried here.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#67  Postby BlackBart » Nov 27, 2020 3:14 am

Ni!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#68  Postby LucidFlight » Nov 27, 2020 9:26 am

JustStarDust wrote:People (everyone, not just believers, or skeptics) want proof of ... anything, really.

We may be close, but so far. Keep your eyes & mind open. I know that most of you have been through 'this kind of thing' before.

Believer > Skeptic
Skeptic > Believer

When that 'proof' is revealed, it may hit you like a ton of bricks. Whatever that 'proof' may be.

'proof' would be a hella gangster street fashion brand. The logo would have to include the inverted commas, of course.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby OlivierK » Nov 27, 2020 11:20 am

Why would proof make anyone a believer? Proof renders belief unnecessary. :dunno:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Caper » Nov 27, 2020 7:01 pm

BlackBart wrote:Ni!

Aww. What sad times are these, when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. The is a pestilence upon this land!
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#71  Postby The_Piper » Nov 28, 2020 12:48 am

Hey Roger. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 30, 2021 11:21 pm

Aww I missed this!

IAMinyou wrote:The world you see is not reality.]

Intriguing.

Is the world I hear not reality?

How about the world I feel?

Smells surely? No?

Are all my senses in cahoots with each other to deceive me?

How then do I reliably navigate reality with such utterly unreliable and outright deceitful senses?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#73  Postby hackenslash » Apr 30, 2021 11:37 pm

Funny thing is, he's not entirely wrong about the world we see not being reality, but not for the reason he thinks. I have a lovely quote I've been saving that illustrates:

Allan Adams wrote:The miracle is not that electrons behave like that. The miracle is that, when you put 1020 of them together, they behave like cheese.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#74  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2021 1:45 am

hackenslash wrote:
Allan Adams wrote:The miracle is not that electrons behave like that. The miracle is that, when you put 1020 of them together, they behave like cheese.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If only all electrons behaved like that. Except for the ones needed for toasting, and the others needed for me to be able to eat the cheesiverse.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#75  Postby hackenslash » May 01, 2021 2:05 am

Indeed.

BTW, I ripped that quote from a truly stupendous lecture series from MIT. Allan Adams is quite probably the best physics lecturer I've ever seen, including Feynman, and that's something. He's really engaging, funny, oodles of daft jokes and anecdotes (his description of Alain Aspect's single electron double-slit experiment is hilarious).

You can find the entire series on MIT Opencourseware channel on Youtube (yes, I know, university of youtube, and all that). It's the 8.04 (Quantum Mechanics) course from 2013, and it really is awesome.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#76  Postby Cito di Pense » May 01, 2021 8:47 am

hackenslash wrote:Indeed.

BTW, I ripped that quote from a truly stupendous lecture series from MIT. Allan Adams is quite probably the best physics lecturer I've ever seen, including Feynman, and that's something. He's really engaging, funny, oodles of daft jokes and anecdotes (his description of Alain Aspect's single electron double-slit experiment is hilarious).

You can find the entire series on MIT Opencourseware channel on Youtube (yes, I know, university of youtube, and all that). It's the 8.04 (Quantum Mechanics) course from 2013, and it really is awesome.

Hey, there, hack! Good to see your recent activity here.

Have you written anything where you enumerate your "properly basic beliefs", what might be termed axiomatic in your epistemology? Say, whatever eventually gets to the acceptance of induction and includes it, statements that we just do not purport to justify. One hopes this is only a couple of handfuls at most. Any time you face down somebody who traffics in "fake world", we'll want to ask the same of them.

I'd give my left nut to see discussion here that wasn't just fighting off the inane antics of a MikeL.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2021 9:28 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
I'd give my left nut to see discussion here that wasn't just fighting off the inane antics of a MikeL.

Ditto.

Here, let me start by raising the level of discursive excellence..

Now, let me see...

I'd give my left nut to see discussion here...

Aha! Got it!

No you wouldn't!

That'll be 5 pounds, please, and also your time is up!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#78  Postby hackenslash » May 01, 2021 12:40 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:Hey, there, hack! Good to see your recent activity here.

Thanks, brother, It's nice to be back, and it's starting to feel a little like that old, favourite pair of slippers, including that there seems to be considerably more space to stretch than I remember.

Have you written anything where you enumerate your "properly basic beliefs", what might be termed axiomatic in your epistemology? Say, whatever eventually gets to the acceptance of induction and includes it, statements that we just do not purport to justify. One hopes this is only a couple of handfuls at most. Any time you face down somebody who traffics in "fake world", we'll want to ask the same of them.

I haven't but, off the top of my head, assuming you mean from a purely epistemic perspective (watch what happens to this), I can probably do it, although maybe not comprehensively without some serious thought.

1. Assume you're wrong on any given topic.
2. If you don't know why you think something is true, discard it until you can justify it.
3. Don't take anybody's word for anything, mine included.
4. The only valid authorities on any subject are the data.

I could possibly add to this if I found a context to expand it. This is first-coffee exposition, so may not be entirely robust. I should add that these look like they're phrased as words of epistemic advice for others, but they only take on the full force of believe when applied to myself.

I've made a lot of noise over the years about how philosophy is 'the art of learning to ask the right kinds of question' but, in the time I've been away, I've encountered a much better formulation in discussion with a professor of philosophy at a good UK university, and her definition was not only more succinct, it gets to the heart of the matter, by drilling down to what the right kind of question is to ask of philosophy itself: how to identify presupposition failure.

I love this definition, because it strips away all the inane bullshit that ensues when you talk about things like Popperian falsification and takes even that to this one simple statement, or, in question form 'have I identified my assumptions and do they stack up?'

That's what I've missed most of all. Indeed, I've massively missed your writing. You know I was always a fan of the way you could deliver snark and insults in such a linguistic labyrinth as to leave most readers entirely unaware of what was going on, and without having to engage in egregious sesquipedalianism to accomplish it.

At the moment, I'm scouring for things to write about on the blog. I know I did some of my best writing here, of the cuff, and on shedloads of topics that have never found their way to the blog. Indeed, after ploughing through Mac Ulloch's FTL thread :shifty: the other day, I realised I hadn't even talked about that on the blog, which is just silly, so that's my next outing, not least because there's new research...
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#79  Postby Spearthrower » May 01, 2021 1:18 pm

Hackenslash wrote:3. Don't take anybody's word for anything,..

Hmmm ok.

Hackenslash wrote:... mine included.

Hey now, wait a minute. That means I shouldn't take your word for not taking anybody's word which means I should take peoples' word meaning I should take yours, meaning I shouldn't take anybody's word.

Ok, cleared that up.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#80  Postby hackenslash » May 01, 2021 2:26 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Hackenslash wrote:3. Don't take anybody's word for anything,..

Hmmm ok.

Hackenslash wrote:... mine included.

Hey now, wait a minute. That means I shouldn't take your word for not taking anybody's word which means I should take peoples' word meaning I should take yours, meaning I shouldn't take anybody's word.

Ok, cleared that up.

Ah, you've spotted Arsehole's Paradox, identified by Buttrind Arsehole in the early 20th century.

That's what happens when you naïvely gather epistemic principles into a set. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Conspiracy Theories