Vaccinated Children Have More Disease Than Unvaccinated

I need to stop lurking on some websites

Discussions on 9/11, moon landing etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Vaccinated Children Have More Disease Than Unvaccinated

#1  Postby Sovereign » Jun 19, 2012 10:12 pm

This is going around the interwebz

Suspicions have been confirmed for those wary of vaccinating their children. A recent large study corroborates other independent study surveys comparing unvaccinated children to vaccinated children.

They all show that vaccinated children have two to five times more childhood diseases, illnesses, and allergies than unvaccinated children. Continued...

http://www.naturalnews.com/036220_vacci ... z1yFQ4eOZN
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Vaccinated Children Have More Disease Than Unvaccinated

#2  Postby Wiðercora » Jun 19, 2012 10:27 pm

You heard it here first folks - bedwetting is a disease.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Jun 19, 2012 10:28 pm

I suspect there is a procedural aspect here as idjit anti-vax don't go to doctors so what is reported??? nada
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby GenesForLife » Jun 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Original paper here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057555/

Concludes the opposite.

The prevalence of allergic diseases and non-specific infections in children and adolescents was not found to depend on vaccination status.

My conclusion is that the arseholes who wrote the Natural News article are despicable cunts, as are the utter berks who are buying into said dreck. And no, I am not really saying what I feel like saying.

:evilgrin:
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby GenesForLife » Jun 19, 2012 10:51 pm

I will do a detailed debunking tomorrow. A bit late now.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Here we go again.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Onyx8 » Jun 20, 2012 1:00 am

GenesForLife wrote:I will do a detailed debunking tomorrow. A bit late now.

Look forward to it, this is bound to be shoved down my throat soon.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Shrunk » Jun 20, 2012 1:13 am

GenesForLife wrote:Original paper here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057555/

Concludes the opposite.

The prevalence of allergic diseases and non-specific infections in children and adolescents was not found to depend on vaccination status.

My conclusion is that the arseholes who wrote the Natural News article are despicable cunts, as are the utter berks who are buying into said dreck. And no, I am not really saying what I feel like saying.

:evilgrin:

I think your post is a bit confusing, and seems to suggest that this is the paper they are actually referring to in the Nature News article. Rather, that article simply reports surveys done by anti-vax organizations of their own members! By all means, provide us with your detailed debunking if you wish, GenesForLife. But is should be blatantly obvious what is wrong with a "study" like this:

Perhaps the most informal grass-roots survey going on now is by Tim O'Shea, DC, author of Vaccination is Not Immunization. He simply has non-vaccinating parents email him with comparisons of their children's health to friends and families they know with vaccinated children. That and more is available on his site.

:crazy:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Dogmatic Pyrrhonist » Jun 20, 2012 3:51 am

Same shit as the homeopathetics trot out to "show" their mystic shit has 'scientific proof'. Pick some study that's distantly related and just claim it supports what you want it to, assuming the audience couldn't be arsed following up.
Dogmatic Pyrrhonist
AKA https://plus.google.com/u/0/105518842266362138077/about (google has decided my name isn't a 'real' name)

Dogmatic Pyrrhonist

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby chairman bill » Jun 20, 2012 5:15 am

Lying for homeopathy?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Wuffy » Jun 20, 2012 7:13 am

What you mean a study that involves participants volunteering to be included might be Biased?

Say it ain't so!
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#12  Postby GenesForLife » Jun 20, 2012 10:40 am

I think your post is a bit confusing, and seems to suggest that this is the paper they are actually referring to in the Nature News article. Rather, that article simply reports surveys done by anti-vax organizations of their own members! By all means, provide us with your detailed debunking if you wish, GenesForLife. But is should be blatantly obvious what is wrong with a "study" like this:

I was referring to this bit in particular from their article.

Originally, the recent still ongoing study compared unvaccinated children against a German national health survey conducted by KiGGS involving over 17,000 children up to age 19.

The dubious nature of their study lies in the fact they used the KiGGS as a standard, despite the fact that the standard itself showed conclusions that were opposite. A clear sign of mendacity to use control studies and then ignore the fact that the control refutes your test hypothesis, isn't it?
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Shrunk » Jun 20, 2012 10:47 am

GenesForLife wrote:

I was referring to this bit in particular from their article.

Originally, the recent still ongoing study compared unvaccinated children against a German national health survey conducted by KiGGS involving over 17,000 children up to age 19.

The dubious nature of their study lies in the fact they used the KiGGS as a standard, despite the fact that the standard itself showed conclusions that were opposite. A clear sign of mendacity to use control studies and then ignore the fact that the control refutes your test hypothesis, isn't it?

Yes. Thanks for clarifying that, I understand now. The also mention that "this currently ongoing survey study was initiated by classical homoeopathist Andreas Bachmair", which further creates the misimpression that the results support their beliefs. (Bachmair's name does not appear in the reference you provided, so I'm not sure what they means by him "initiating" it).
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Clive Durdle » Jun 20, 2012 11:17 am

So dead children and children with Polio is OK? And isn't cyanide natural? Has smallpox already been forgotten?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby GenesForLife » Jun 20, 2012 3:20 pm

What has basically happened, Shrunk, is that they've taken stats of how often vaccinated children fall sick from KiGGS as a representative of illness rates in vaccinated populations in general, ignored the KiGGS findings that there is no statistically significant difference in allergy and infectious disease rates for which vaccines are not available relative to unvaccinated children, and have asked american anti-vaxxers (or those moronic enough to visit their sites) to answer a questionnaire about how often their kids fall sick. Then, they have come out with the claim that allergy rates, for instance, are 500% higher in vaccinated children. They have also ignored the fact that KiGGS showed that there was a statistically significant difference in vaccine-preventable illnesses between the two populations.

Even a complete muppet can see the obvious, glaring flaw in the study design of these anti-vax muppets - the difference seen between the German population and those outside can be due to anything that is different between the two populations. To portray results from a "study" as pathetically controlled for confounding as this makes me weep. :whine:
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Onyx8 » Jun 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Confirmation bias writ large.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 20, 2012 3:24 pm

chairman bill wrote:Lying for homeopathy?

Works for jeebus. Why not?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Microfarad » Jun 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Of course, none of these studies were picked up by the MSM (mainstream media). None were funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the World Health Organization (WHO) or any national or international health agency or medical profession group

Therefore it must be true. What a plot! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Warning: the content of the post above may content inaccuracies, nonsense or insults to human intelligence. Read at your own risk.
Microfarad

Male

Italy (it)
Print view this post

#19  Postby GenesForLife » Jun 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Here goes...

The survey they talk about, that was supposedly set off by a “classical homeopathist” (as opposed to what exactly?) compares volunteers who answer surveys on various anti-vax sites against data from the German KiGGS study. Anybody with elementary training in epidemiology can see the immediate problem this poses – to facilitate a direct comparison between two variables or two groups that vary by a single factor, all other factors need to be randomised so they appear in similar frequencies in both populations. The only thing that can be legitimately compared to the vaccinated children in the KiGGS cohort is the unvaccinated children in the KiGGS cohort, and when this was done, the results debunked the very premise of the drivel in question. ( KiGGS original paper can be found here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057555/ )

To quote

“The prevalence of allergic diseases and non-specific infections in children and adolescents was not found to depend on vaccination status.”

and worse for the anti-vaxxers, they did find a statistically significant difference in the occurrence of vaccine-preventable illnesses. (See graph below)

Note that a p-value of less than 0.05 is a statistically significant result, and in all the other analyses carried out, there was no statistically significant results indicating that allergies and chronic illnesses are higher in vaccinated people.

Now, having taken care of the excuse for a study that seeks to compare data against the KiGGS study, let us look at some of the others that have been quoted by the article in question.

[1] The IAS survey they refer to has no P.values, meaning that it is impossible to verify if the differences they found were statistically significant or not. Of course, the study itself is moot in light of large scale meta-analyses that have found no evidence that vaccinated children have higher rates of chronic conditions, infectious or otherwise. See the discussion section of the KiGGS paper for associated literature that showed no evidence for such a link.

[2] The study in Christchurch they refer to (Kemp et al) could not rule out differential reporting as a cause of differences.

To quote http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9345669
“These findings do not appear to be due to differential use of health services (although this possibility cannot be excluded) or con-founding by ethnicity,socioeconomic status, parental atopy, or parental smoking.”

Of course, yet more meta-analyses have found no statistically significant link at all between vaccination and asthma http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... 1269.short

While one or two studies have pointed to a link between whole-cell pertussis vaccine and increased risk of allergy, there are acellular vaccines available, and with re-emergence of whooping cough, partly with the increased prevalence of unvaccinated children, death by whooping cough is not an option.

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccine ... ping-cough

Some of the egregious piffle on the site, such as trying to insinuate there is some sort of stupid conspiracy theory against the Bachmair “study”, which was the first thing I dealt with for flaws in study design because people daren’t compare the health of vaccinated against unvaccinated children really takes the cake. The studies that led to the replacement of whole-cell pertussis vaccine with acellular vaccines all appeared in conventional scientific journals, and by insinuating that studies funded by the WHO are somehow biased, the article makes potentially libellous accusations, as well as committing the fallacy of poisoning the well.

If they can produce proper data and get it published, they will have something valid to contribute to discourse on vaccines, otherwise they can, and should, sod off in my humble opinion.

As for Obukhanych, maybe she would be well advised to go back in history and examine the efficacy of the smallpox vaccine, which obviously was in action long before big pharma, the favourite punching bag in the wet dreams of every anti-vaxxer was around. More recently, one can point to solid evidence that vaccines work, even in extremely high-risk populations, even when examined using double blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trials, like this http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NE ... 0093031501

Vaccines clearly reduce the occurrence of the diseases they are designed to immunize people against. And that, it would appear, is the end of that.

And finally, for O’Shea’s “grassroots survey”, even schoolchildren can carry out more rigorous, well-controlled research http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/7/2/168 , there is clearly no standardization involved in asking parents of unvaccinated children to compare their own kids with vaccinated children of friends and family, especially because anti-vaxxers, as evident from the bilge that characterises the comments on that thread, might hold the belief that their children are somehow healthier a priori, and in the absence of rigorous data-collection, this can introduce bias.

* A copy of this also appeared on my blog.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby kiore » Jun 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Excellent work GFL :thumbup:
Ammunition for those that have to fight this nonsense regularly.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Next

Return to Conspiracy Theories