clams on mount everest

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Ironclad, Onyx8

clams on mount everest

#1  Postby Net Traveller » Apr 20, 2011 8:58 am

Hi I just want to say that I know the real reason that clams and sea shells have been found on mount everest is due to plate tectonics, everest was once under the sea. But we all know creationist like to use the sea shells on mount everest argument as evidence that Noah's flood was real. anyway I saw one creationist post that when clams die they open up and that the clams found on everest and other mountains are all closed therefore he reasons they died under pressure (from a global flood) and rejects plate tectonics. what is the answer to this? how can i rebut this claim?
self-respect is simply the act of respecting your own wants and needs.
It is simply listening to what yourself is telling you, acknowledging that, and then acting upon it.
Net Traveller

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: clams on mount everest

#2  Postby hackenslash » Apr 20, 2011 9:04 am

By pointing out that the global flud is a fantasy, along with all the evidence against it. If you want a wealth of information in this regard, you could do worse than to read the Great Flood Debate Peanut Gallery Thread on the old forum. It's very long (862 pages), but with much ROFLing and lots of good info and hard empirical evidence.
Dogma is the death of the intellect
There is no more thunderous prescient of doom than the flutter of tiny wings...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby trubble76 » Apr 20, 2011 10:15 am

I don't get it. The claim seems to be that when clams die in normal circumstances (ie in water) their shells open up, but during the flud when they were under water, their shells did not open. Was the Flud not made of water? Also, do clams float to the surface (ie the top of mountains that are now submerged)?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby lordshipmayhem » Apr 20, 2011 2:21 pm

trubble76 wrote:Was the Flud not made of water?

It was made of imaginary water, using anime physics.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HughMcB » Apr 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Just read any Noahs Ark thread and its full of debunking wisdom.
"Call Kenny Loggins...'cuz you're in the Danger Zone" - Archer
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod » Apr 20, 2011 11:50 pm

More importantly, to me, than the clams found on the flanks of Everest are the ammonites. These are clearly remains that can be dated from the Cretaceous and are not found above the K-T boundary anywhere on the planet. The K-T boundary is no younger than 65 million years. Unless they want to make a Byers-like assertion that the K-T boundary is a marker for the "great flood"they should shut the fuck up about the fossils of marine creatures. Maybe they should just shut the fuck up and attempt to learn some real science. :ask:

RS
14 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby james1v » Apr 21, 2011 12:20 am

Net Traveller wrote:Hi I just want to say that I know the real reason that clams and sea shells have been found on mount everest is due to plate tectonics, everest was once under the sea. But we all know creationist like to use the sea shells on mount everest argument as evidence that Noah's flood was real. anyway I saw one creationist post that when clams die they open up and that the clams found on everest and other mountains are all closed therefore he reasons they died under pressure (from a global flood) and rejects plate tectonics. what is the answer to this? how can i rebut this claim?

The answer is below.

"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Gallstones » Apr 21, 2011 2:29 am

hackenslash wrote:By pointing out that the global flud is a fantasy, along with all the [alleged] evidence against for it. If you want a wealth of information in this regard, you could can't do worse than to read the Great Flood Debate Peanut Gallery Thread on the old [RDF] forum. It's very long (862 pages), but with much ROFLing and lots of good info and hard empirical evidence.
Gallstones

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 21, 2011 2:51 am

Net Traveller wrote:Hi I just want to say that I know the real reason that clams and sea shells have been found on mount everest is due to plate tectonics, everest was once under the sea. But we all know creationist like to use the sea shells on mount everest argument as evidence that Noah's flood was real. anyway I saw one creationist post that when clams die they open up and that the clams found on everest and other mountains are all closedtherefore he reasons they died under pressure (from a global flood) and rejects plate tectonics. what is the answer to this? how can i rebut this claim?

He/she is making shit up, or simply believes the shit that Kent Hovind makes up.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 21, 2011 3:57 am

trubble76 wrote:I don't get it. The claim seems to be that when clams die in normal circumstances (ie in water) their shells open up, but during the flud when they were under water, their shells did not open. Was the Flud not made of water? Also, do clams float to the surface (ie the top of mountains that are now submerged)?

They realised that this may be their only opportunity to climb Everest. So, what did they do? They clambered up there.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: QUANTUM CAT

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Robert Byers » Apr 21, 2011 6:36 am

Net Traveller wrote:Hi I just want to say that I know the real reason that clams and sea shells have been found on mount everest is due to plate tectonics, everest was once under the sea. But we all know creationist like to use the sea shells on mount everest argument as evidence that Noah's flood was real. anyway I saw one creationist post that when clams die they open up and that the clams found on everest and other mountains are all closed therefore he reasons they died under pressure (from a global flood) and rejects plate tectonics. what is the answer to this? how can i rebut this claim?

This is probably what they said. Everest didn't exist before the flood. its just crumpled up land from the crashings etc of the land masses during the biblical flood. So as they rose they brought up what had been thrown on them . All this while under water. so the great water pressure or the water prssure on sediment didn't allow the clams too open as usual upon death. Thy were entombed before opening and this entombing was the origin of their instant fossilization.
so they not opening is a clue that such a great number could only of been instantly covered and killed under sediment or water pressure.
A fair point based on observations of nature.
Robert Byers

Name: Robert Byers

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 21, 2011 7:29 am

Robert Byers wrote:Everest didn't exist before the flood. its just crumpled up land from the crashings etc of the land masses during the biblical flood.

So, God didn't creat Everest initially (when he created the Earth); it was formed during the forty days of the flood?
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: QUANTUM CAT

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13  Postby tnjrp » Apr 21, 2011 7:35 am

Oh :hello: again Mr. Byers!

You may not have noticed that we've got another interesting thread about the Flood here. It's a bit quiet as of now but I'm sure your input would be greatly appreciated there -- especially viz. the YES vs. OEC position and the globality vs. locality of the Flood.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#14  Postby stijndeloose » Apr 21, 2011 7:39 am

tnjrp wrote:Oh :hello: again Mr. Byers!

You may not have noticed that we've got another interesting thread about the Flood here. It's a bit quiet as of now but I'm sure your input would be greatly appreciated there -- especially viz. the YES vs. OEC position and the globality vs. locality of the Flood.

:this:
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Scar » Apr 21, 2011 7:40 am

Robert Byers wrote:

This is probably what they said. Everest didn't exist before the flood. its just crumpled up land from the crashings etc of the land masses during the biblical flood. So as they rose they brought up what had been thrown on them . All this while under water. so the great water pressure or the water prssure on sediment didn't allow the clams too open as usual upon death. Thy were entombed before opening and this entombing was the origin of their instant fossilization.
so they not opening is a clue that such a great number could only of been instantly covered and killed under sediment or water pressure.
A fair point based on observations of nature.

Yeah, if you are basing it on ignoring observations of nature.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby theropod » Apr 21, 2011 10:12 am

Sorry folks, I used Mr. Byers as an example of fuck-up thinking associated with this flood idea, and that seems to have attracted him. I'll be more careful from now on.

RS
14 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby ADParker » Apr 22, 2011 12:59 am

This is an old standard of Kent Hovind (and of course his son Eric who does little but parrot is old man.)
It is not true that all clams open when they die. Nor can I find any support for the assertion that all the clams fossils on those mountains are closed anyway.

Furthermore; the assertion that this is evidence for Teh Flud is just question begging nonsense. All they are doing is saying "See this could have fit within our flood story, therefore it is strong evidence for it." Rubbish; merely fitting within an idea does not count as anything close to positive evidence.

If it is true that there are a mass of closed fossil clams on Mount Everest, then all this would infer is that for some reason (of which there could be many, including disease, any manner of rapid burial etc.) they died that way. Not that this particular physically impossible global flood of myth actually occured! Or even that those kinds of fossils at that period of history didn't tend to open on death. :dunno:
Reason Over Faith
ADParker

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 22, 2011 3:28 am

They open when you cook them in boiling water. Why/how would they open if they die under the sand where they live?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby ADParker » Apr 22, 2011 3:51 am

Onyx8 wrote:They open when you cook them in boiling water. Why/how would they open if they die under the sand where they live?

Because clams produce a protein called paramyosin, which enables them to hold their shells closed in contraction, for as long as a month, even after death, until that protein breaks down. A live clam will however open in 'panic' when boiled alive, and tends to eventually open over time after death due to the natural breakdown of the protein.
Any number of pressures of course can easily keep them closed after death long enough to be sealed in other ways (calcification etc.)
Reason Over Faith
ADParker

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 22, 2011 3:55 am

Indeed, the basic premise is flawed. As usual.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism