Creationist Double Identities

Two Andrew Snellings?

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Creationist Double Identities

#1  Postby lpetrich » May 20, 2017 12:38 am

Will the Real Dr Snelling Please Stand Up? by Dr Alex Ritchie, The Skeptic, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp 12-15
There appear to be two geologists living, working and publishing in Australia under the name of Dr Andrew A Snelling. Both have impressive (and identical) scientific qualifications - a BSc (Hons), in Geology (University of NSW) and a PhD, for research in uranium mineralisation (University of Sydney).

Curiously, both Drs Snelling use the same address (PO Box 302, Sunnybank, Qld, 4109), which they share with an organisation called the Creation Science Foundation (CSF), the coordinating centre for fundamentalist creationism in Australia.

But the really strange thing about this is that the views of these two Drs Snelling, on matters such as the age of the earth and its geological strata, are diametrically opposed. This article, the result of my extensive searches through the literature, highlights this remarkable coincidence and poses some serious questions of credibility for the Creation Science Foundation and for either or both of the Drs Andrew A Snelling.

For convenience I refer to them below as follows:

(a) Dr A A Snelling 1 - creationist geologist, a director of CSF and regular contributor to, and sometime editor of, the CSF's quarterly magazine, Ex Nihilo (now CREATION ex nihilo).

(b) Dr A A Snelling 2 - consulting geologist who works on uranium mineralisation and publishes in refereed scientific journals.

Snelling 1 seldom, if ever, cites articles written by Snelling 2 and Snelling 2 never cites articles written by Snelling 1.

Andrew Snelling #1 believes that the Universe is only around 6000 years old and that Noah's Flood was a worldwide event that radically reshaped the Earth's crust.

Andrew Snelling #2 believes that there are rock formations more than 2.5 billion years old, and that the Earth's crust has been continually reshaped over all the time of its existence.

Andrew A. Snelling - Wikipedia lists both of their publications.

Another double-identity creationist is Marcus R. Ross - Wikipedia. He did his PhD thesis on some late-Cretaceous marine reptiles called mosasaurs, But he "believes that the Bible is a literally true account of the creation of the universe and that the earth is at most 10,000 years old."

Suspicious Creationist Credentials has more on such credentials. Like Kent Hovind's degree from Patriot University. Here is his PhD thesis: Young-earth creationist Kent Hovind's doctoral dissertation - WikiLeaks, The Dissertation Kent Hovind Doesn't Want You to Read
Last edited by lpetrich on May 20, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Creationist Double Identities

#2  Postby lpetrich » May 20, 2017 2:37 am

Here are some more double-identity creationists:

Jan Peczkis / John Woodmorappe
Jonathan Wells
Nathaniel Abraham
Guillermo Gonzalez

Jonathan Wells (intelligent design advocate) - Wikipedia
Father's [Rev. Moon's] words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism, just as many of my fellow Unificationists had already devoted their lives to destroying Marxism. When Father chose me (along with about a dozen other seminary graduates) to enter a Ph.D. program in 1978, I welcomed the opportunity to prepare myself for battle.

Eventually getting a PhD in molecular and cell biology at UC Berkeley, as well as a PhD in religious studies from Yale.

His best-known work is Icons of Evolution, arguing that many textbook representations of evolution are just plain wrong.

Guillermo Gonzalez (astronomer) - Wikipedia
In 2004 he published The Privileged Planet and its accompanying video, which takes the arguments of the Rare Earth hypothesis and combines them with arguments that the Earth is in prime location for observing the universe. He then proposes that the Earth was intelligently designed. William H. Jefferys, a Professor of Astronomy at the University of Texas at Austin, reviewed the book writing "the little that is new in this book isn't interesting, and what is old is just old-hat creationism in a new, modern-looking astronomical costume."
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Creationist Double Identities

#3  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks for posting, lpetrich. There are some pretty strange people out there! :lol:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism