Developmental Pathways, Problems for Darwinism

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Developmental Pathways, Problems for Darwinism

#1  Postby evolutiondebunked » Jul 15, 2010 12:46 am

I mentioned this problem for evolution in another thread, but everyone seems to be dancing around the issue and ignoring it. I thought I'd start a thread on the topic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6P6bXA50c0[/youtube]

:dance:
Last edited by evolutiondebunked on Jul 15, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
evolutiondebunked
Banned User

Name: John

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Developmental Pathways, Problems for Darwinism

#2  Postby pawiz » Jul 15, 2010 12:47 am

Praise Jeebus
It is my deeply held belief that (insert name of favored deity here) is a complete fuckwit. Please respect my beliefs.
pawiz

Name: Paul
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby evolutiondebunked » Jul 15, 2010 12:49 am

pawiz wrote:Praise Jeebus

:lol: That's it? No refutation? No debunking?
evolutiondebunked
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby pawiz » Jul 15, 2010 12:50 am

evolutiondebunked wrote:

Show me your credentials and than if you're man enough I'll come and play
It is my deeply held belief that (insert name of favored deity here) is a complete fuckwit. Please respect my beliefs.
pawiz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby pawiz » Jul 15, 2010 12:51 am

BTW - what is Darwinism?
pawiz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby evolutiondebunked » Jul 15, 2010 12:56 am

pawiz wrote:
evolutiondebunked wrote:

Oh, so since I don't have any scientific credentials I don't deserve an explanation? I'm starting to see how evolutionists think. When you ask questions about evolutionism, they ignore you if you don't have a Phd. Well, the folks at the discovery institute do have their degrees. So you're not responding to me. Watch the video and respond to THEM. What is your critique of their video?

I know I'm not going to get an answer. You'll just laugh, or say "aw this is TOO funny." "EDB is soooo stupid."
evolutiondebunked
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby pawiz » Jul 15, 2010 12:58 am

evolutiondebunked wrote:
pawiz wrote:
evolutiondebunked wrote:

Oh, so since I don't have any scientific credentials I don't deserve an explanation? I'm starting to see how evolutionists think. When you ask questions about evolutionism, they ignore you if you don't have a Phd. Well, the folks at the discovery institute do have their degrees. So you're not responding to me. Watch the video and respond to THEM. What is your critique of their video?

I know I'm not going to get an answer. You'll just laugh, or say "aw this is TOO funny." "EDB is soooo stupid."

Not at all. I'm just trying to determine your basic level of understanding. Once I have that, I can talk to you at the appropriate level.
pawiz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby dionysus » Jul 15, 2010 1:02 am

Why did you make me watch that pile of crapola? Congratulations, you've wasted 5 minutes of my life, are you proud of yourself?
dionysus

Name: Lukasz
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby evolutiondebunked » Jul 15, 2010 1:07 am

dionysus wrote:Why did you make me watch that pile of crapola? Congratulations, you've wasted 5 minutes of my life, are you proud of yourself?

Here we go again, more joke and assertions that it's crapola. Tell me WHY it's crapola. Obviously nobody here can debunk what they're saying. The more you play games and dance around the issue, the more I believe in creation. :dance:
evolutiondebunked
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby pawiz » Jul 15, 2010 1:07 am

evolutiondebunked wrote:
dionysus wrote:Why did you make me watch that pile of crapola? Congratulations, you've wasted 5 minutes of my life, are you proud of yourself?

Here we go again, more joke and assertions that it's crapola. Tell me WHY it's crapola. Obviously nobody here can debunk what they're saying. The more you play games and dance around the issue, the more I believe in creation. :dance:

Why do you think it's valid?
pawiz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby tytalus » Jul 15, 2010 1:11 am

I see the YEC is hot to trot over this video, so I'll just repost for the record.

tytalus wrote:Well, having watched the 'homology problem' video and after a small amount of research, it's interesting to find the answer; it seems to be the difference between homologies and analogies. And with the greater ability of modern science to track embryonic development and gene expression, it becomes easier to tell one from the other -- not something they could necessarily do in 1843 when the term was coined, or in the time of Aristotle the YEC's video cites. Or perhaps not in the time of the clip at the front of that video, since it's a bit fuzzy and B&W.

In the end, it seems that the cdesign proponentsists are merely identifying analogies as homologies in order to attack the term -- a sort of straw manning that takes a few minutes' time to identify. Which must be beyond the average YEC to perform.
Futurama wrote: Bender: Dying sucks butt. How do you living beings cope with mortality?
Leela: Violent outbursts.
Amy: General slutiness.
Fry: Thanks to denial, I'm immortal.
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby evolutiondebunked » Jul 15, 2010 1:11 am

pawiz wrote:
evolutiondebunked wrote:
pawiz wrote:
evolutiondebunked wrote:

Not at all. I'm just trying to determine your basic level of understanding. Once I have that, I can talk to you at the appropriate level.

:lol: thanks for the condescending smug. It's becoming clear that you can't critique the video. :dance:
evolutiondebunked
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby PhiloKGB » Jul 15, 2010 1:13 am

evolutiondebunked wrote:Here we go again, more joke and assertions that it's crapola. Tell me WHY it's crapola. Obviously nobody here can debunk what they're saying. The more you play games and dance around the issue, the more I believe in creation. :dance:

I sure hope so. I can't imagine someone as insufferable and underhanded as you doing science any favors.
PhiloKGB

Print view this post

#14  Postby pawiz » Jul 15, 2010 1:20 am

evolutiondebunked wrote:
:lol: thanks for the condescending smug. It's becoming clear that you can't critique the video. :dance:

Clearly not. It's a work of genius. Logical fallacy anyone?
pawiz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby dionysus » Jul 15, 2010 1:26 am

evolutiondebunked wrote:

Knock yourself out: go and believe what you want to believe. As for why it's crapola:

1) No citations on its claims. And serious work of research has citations.
2) It comes from the well-known propaganda machine the Discovery Institute which couldn't even defend ID in a court of law in front of a conservative judge hand-picked by George W. Bush, let alone scientific peer review.
3) Genes mutate and so it's obvious that the gene for one creature's body structure will be different from the gene for another creature's body structure.
4) This video (I think intentionally) conflates homologous structures with analogous structures.
dionysus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby DaveD » Jul 15, 2010 1:29 am

tytalus wrote:I see the YEC is hot to trot over this video, so I'll just repost for the record.

tytalus wrote:Well, having watched the 'homology problem' video and after a small amount of research, it's interesting to find the answer; it seems to be the difference between homologies and analogies. And with the greater ability of modern science to track embryonic development and gene expression, it becomes easier to tell one from the other -- not something they could necessarily do in 1843 when the term was coined, or in the time of Aristotle the YEC's video cites. Or perhaps not in the time of the clip at the front of that video, since it's a bit fuzzy and B&W.

In the end, it seems that the cdesign proponentsists are merely identifying analogies as homologies in order to attack the term -- a sort of straw manning that takes a few minutes' time to identify. Which must be beyond the average YEC to perform.

So since the "point" raised in the OP, has already been dealt with in another thread, shouldn't the two threads be merged?
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby dionysus » Jul 15, 2010 1:32 am

evolutiondebunked wrote:

Condescending smug...this coming from the person who keeps using the dancing smiley, thinks he's just debunked 150 years worth of science, and is already declaring victory despite the fact that only 15 or so replies (half of them yours) have been posted and not giving the more knowledgeable members such as Cali and Theropod a chance to reply yet...and we're the smug ones, riiiiiiight.
dionysus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby hotshoe » Jul 15, 2010 1:34 am

DaveD wrote:So since the "point" raised in the OP, has already been dealt with in another thread, shouldn't the two threads be merged?

Eh, six of one, half dozen of the other. The "homology" derail from the other thread should really be split off to come here -- leaving the "chimp" content for that OP.

On the other hand, that's a lot more work for the moderators.

Not like we're going to get any substantive discussion between us and the dancing boy either way. :dance:
Last edited by hotshoe on Jul 15, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby pawiz » Jul 15, 2010 1:34 am

hotshoe wrote:
So since the "point" raised in the OP, has already been dealt with in another thread, shouldn't the two threads be merged?

Eh, six of one, half dozen of the other. The "homology" derail from the other thread should really be split off to come here -- leaving the "chimp" content for that OP.

On the other hand, that's a lot more work for the moderators.

Not like we're going to get any substantive discussion between us and the dancing boy either way. :dance:

:dance:
pawiz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby DaveD » Jul 15, 2010 1:38 am

Let's all join in!
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)