Dialog on "Creationists Read This"

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Dialog on "Creationists Read This"

#1021  Postby ADParker » Sep 15, 2014 11:33 am

Shrunk wrote:
ADParker wrote:Most people fail to realize how 'scary' smart Alan Turing was.

And humanity was denied the full benefit of his intelligence, because at the age of 41 he was driven to suicide by people who were convinced he was indecent and degenerate based on nothing more than one of the "other ways of knowing" that Wilberforce1860 is attempting to defend here. That is the fruit of your "way of knowing", Wil. Not knowledge, but hatred and ignorance.

Heh. I actually started to write, then decided to skip it, much the same thing; that this makes the circumstances of his death that much sadder. ;)
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1022  Postby Rumraket » Sep 15, 2014 11:57 am

Wilberforce1860 wrote:And in doing so, they have stumbled upon new dark mysteries. For example, where does the information in DNA come from? Please describe in exquisite detail, and with empirically verifiable quantitative accuracy.

Gene duplication, point mutation and natural selection.

DNA is a polymer of nucleic acids. When DNA is replicated, mutations are introduced. One type of mutation, and a particularly frequent one, is called gene-duplication. An existing gene is accidentally copied over to the new genome twice (or some times even more). This new surplus copy can then take on mutations, without compromising the function of the original copy and therefore not being detrimental to the organism.

When that surplus copy undergoes additional mutations that change the sequence of nucleic acid bases, that means the sequence of nucleic acids has been changed. The information in the original copy is still there, but the new copy that has mutated now has different information. This different information is new, it was not there before. By chance, some of those changes will change the function of DNA. When enough generations have passed, enough mutations have been introduced that the changing copy has nothing left of the original, it has been completely changed into a new gene. That's how new DNA information originates through evolution.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1023  Postby Shrunk » Sep 15, 2014 12:07 pm

ADParker wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

And humanity was denied the full benefit of his intelligence, because at the age of 41 he was driven to suicide by people who were convinced he was indecent and degenerate based on nothing more than one of the "other ways of knowing" that Wilberforce1860 is attempting to defend here. That is the fruit of your "way of knowing", Wil. Not knowledge, but hatred and ignorance.

Heh. I actually started to write, then decided to skip it, much the same thing; that this makes the circumstances of his death that much sadder. ;)

Somehow I never realized he died so young. Fuck, at 41 a scientist is just barely getting started.

There's supposedly a pretty good movie coming out about Turing. Maybe it'll help elucidate for Wil the difference between an actual way of knowing, and a false one.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1024  Postby catbasket » Sep 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Shrunk wrote:

Well said, Shrunk.
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1025  Postby Made of Stars » Sep 15, 2014 1:08 pm

Agreed
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1026  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
Wilberforce1860 wrote:...

You like to consider possibilities right?

Do you think it is POSSIBLE that there is a thing that people who have educations in life sciences and other sciences know that you do not know? Things that make such things as your RNA challenge embarrassing for you.
Is it possible? All I'm asking.

Certainly. I acknowledged that in my Welcome from Virginia introductory post. I believe Calilasseia knows more about many subjects in science than I do.

However, I know enough to determine whether the subject of how life arose from non-chemicals is settled or not. It isn't. RNA life could prove to be a total dead end. Until it is demonstrated, it remains a hypothesis, and not a fact.

Except that this "hypothesis" is accompanied by a vast raft of empirical evidence, that the requisite chemical reactions work. On the other hand, we have zero evidence for an invisible magic man. Once again, you have three guesses which of the two choices I'm going to run with.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:It's amusing to see Wilberforce assert that abiogenesis isn't the topic of this thread, when abiogenesis, and canards about this subject, are among the topics I covered when compiling my canards list, which he was supposed to be addressing way back on page one ...

I'm not sure we need to discuss it more here.

Well those of us who accept the evidence that the requisite chemical reactions work, certainly don't feel the need to discuss that fact, because that fact is now overwhelmingly established. Which of those chemical reactions were actually implicated in the origin of life is, of course, still open to question, but the mere fact that scientist can now generate model protocells in the laboratory, in order to investigate the behaviour thereof, tells those of us who paid attention in science classes, that the scientists working in the field have something a bit more substantial than blind assertions to offer on the subject. Or what part of the words "empirical demonstration" with respect to this did you not understand?

Wilberforce1860 wrote:I haven't gotten that far in your list. I'm on point [0], which is worldview.

Except that many of the topics I've covered in my list aren't a matter of "worldview", they're a matter of empirical evidence.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:This includes immaterial versus the material

Still waiting for real evidence that "immaterial" entities exist, as opposed to being merely asserted to do so.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:and various ways of knowing.

I've already listed two ways of knowing that have been demonstrated time and again to be reliable generators of substantive knowledge, namely empirical test of postulates with observational consequences, and deductive proof of mathematical theorems. I'm still waiting for you to add to this list.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:Some questions have been posed about things not explained by science

Except that most of those "questions" have been nothing more than blind assertions to the effect that because science hasn't alighted upon all of the answers yet, as a result of being a human endeavour subject to time constraints, this somehow means that unsupported mythological assertions purportedly constitute fact. They don't.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:or which might be better explained by creationism

Creationism doens't "explain" anything. It's a gigantic pile of assertions, erected as a result of the desperate need on the part of mythology fetishists to keep their mythology alive.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:which is relevant to ways of knowing.

When are we going to see you provide explicit statements about these purported "other ways of knowing"? We're all still waiting for you even to define one of these.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:I'm not trying to settle anything in this thread, but to highlight where we agree or disagree.

But at some point, if you want us to treat your assertions as something other than mere assertions, you're going to have to settle important questions.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:My objective is to determine what type of foundation for further discussions we have.

I'll tell you, right now, what are the foundations of any process of discourse. Viz:

[1] Assertions, when first presented, posssess the status "truth value unknown".

[2] The purpose of proper discourse is to remedy that deficit, and assign a truth value to assertions presented.

[3] This is achieved by testing assertions, to see if they are in accord with extant knowledge. Assertions that cannot be thus tested are useless, as they tell us nothing.

[4] Assertions that are testable only tell us something when they are tested.

[5] If the test tells us the assertions are false, then those assertions are discarded.

Apply those five steps, and the rest follows.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:It may limit what we discuss (we know we won't agree on premises and thus can't agree on conclusions).

Those five steps above, are the means by which we determine which premises are likely to form the foundations upon which to build substantive knowledge.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:To summarize what we have discussed I am working on several tables:

1. An update (minor revisions) to the table previously posted on "Attributes of Thoughts and Emotions Versus Other Things (Immaterial versus the Materal)" (p. 20, #385 and #389).

2. A table entitled "Arguments For and Against Immaterial Qualities of Thoughts and Emotions"

3. A table entitled "Ways of Knowing"

4. A table entitled "Thread Comments and Responses on Ways of Knowing"

5. A table entitled "Questions, and Ways of Knowing That Answer (or Don't Answer) Them

Except that the contents of your tables fail woefully to address key issues.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:Reading through all posts to date is going more slowly than I had hoped. I am on page 32.

I have made reasonable progress on the tables, but don't want to omit from consideration any points made by thread posters on pages 32-51 (and counting). I don't plan to post the tables until I get through reading all relevant posts. I can't predict when that will be.

Makes one wonder how I found the time to examine hundreds of scientific papers in detail, doesn't it?

Wilberforce1860 wrote:I will be on vacation from September 17-September 21 to visit my mother and celebrate her 90th birthday. I may not be able to read or post during that time.

I managed to fit my posts in between helping to run an entomology society. It isn't that hard.

Moving on ...

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
Wilberforce1860 wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:Find a leaf on a tree. Look at it and tell me everything that is going on inside the leaf. Not just reductive science, I want to know what each chloroplast is up to right now. For every branch in every vein tell me how it got that way. What encoded it's particular unique shape and network of veins? What's in those veins? Exactly? What is the stuff in those veins doing?

I am not remotely qualified to do as you ask.

But the point is that there are people who are qualified to answer these questions, and what's more, they've produced solutions to the requisite problems, and demonstrated that those solutions work in real living organisms.

Take for example, the question of how the veins in a leaf acquired their particular pattern. This is a question that is tailor made for what are known as reaction-diffusion systems, the first paper on these having been published way back in 1952, by none other than Alan Turing, the mathematician who cracked the Engima code during World War II. Quite simply, he demonstrated, in that paper, submitted to the Royal Society, that a wide range of observed biological structures can be accounted for, by the presence of two substances, one promoting cell growth, the other inhibiting cell growth, moving through the requisite tissues in a manner described by a system of parabolic partial differential equations.

Now it so happened that he was ahead of the game with respect to the discovery of such substances in actual living organisms, and experimental verification of the applicability of his reaction-diffusion system hard to wait until various foundations were laid in molecular biology, such as the discovery of DNA, the discovery of the genetic code, and the development of tools facilitating the analysis of the behaviour of the proteins coded for by various genes. However, once these foundations were in place, scientists alighted upon dozens of proteins that perform Turing-type morphogenetic functions, in accordance with his mechanism. In metazoans, there are the hox genes (at the last count, something like 30 of these were known), the bmp genes (20 of these are currently known), the wnt genes, the fgf genes, and a host of other genes such as dlx1, dlx2, barx1, barx2, pax6 and pax9.Indeed, over at the now defunct Richard Dawkins forums, when Stevebee turned up there, I had much fun embarrassing him with 17 scientific papers covering the role of many of these genes in tooth morphogenesis, which he, despite claiming to be a professional dentist, knew nothing about. I'm also aware of at least 10 scientific papers covering the application of the Turing morphogenetic system to the development of mimetic wing patterns in Papilio dardanus butterflies.

Now it turns out that quite a few of these genes possess a section known as a homeobox domain, and homeobox proteins possess numerous roles in signal transduction cascades, which, in short, are chemical pathways determining which substances are activated in a given location, and which substances are deactivated. Some of these proteins are themselves growth promoters in certain circumstances, growth inhibitors in others, and in other circumstances, affect whether or not other growth promoters or inhibitors are themselves allowed to perform their usual function.

Even more interestingly, it turns out that organisms other than metazoans have homologous collections of genes. Plants, for example, possess homeobox genes that perform functions analogous to those of the hox genes in animals, and since the homeobox domains are tightly conserved right across the entire biosphere, we can apply molecular phylogeny to the different homeobox domains, and determine 'family trees' for those genes, leading back to simpler antecedent common ancestors. What's more, the variations found in plants behave in pretty much the same way as those found in animals, in fungi and for that matter, in single celled yeasts. In the case of single celled organisms, some of those genes originally controlled the internal organisation of those cells, and when multicellular lineages arose, several of those genes were then co-opted to perform growth regulation functions within groups of cells, and thus the foundations for tissue differentiation were laid.

The fun part being, of course, that reaction-diffusion mechanisms are also found in a number of non-living chemical systems. A variation on the theme of one-component reaction-diffusion systems is the Zeldovitch Equation, used to describe combustion processes. Another variation is the Rayleigh-Bénard Equations, used to describe certain classes of thermal convection that arise in certain exothermic chemical reactions. Even more interestingly, a system of parabolic partial differential equations in this class can lead to the emergence of Schrödinger's Equation, which historically was derived via a different path, but understanding how this is achieved requires fairly deep understanding of the calculus of variations within tensor fields.

This is simply one example of the vast body of knowledge that has been developed, without once referring to mythology.

This is a great post (up to here, where there is nothing for me to disagree with), and thanks for mentioning some of the things Turing proposed in the area of biology. At the time he proposed it would you classify this as an "intuitive leap"?

No, because he spent years analysing the problem. Which is why he was able to submit his original paper to the Royal Society.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
Wilberforce1860 wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
Now try telling me all about one single rock the size of a plum by looking at its outside.

Ditto.

I await your point.

I think I've made the point adequately above. Namely, that scientists have alighted upon testable natural processes in enormous quantity. They are able to describe, in exquisite detail, and with empirically verifiable quantitative accuracy, the behaviour of systems that even just a century ago, were regarded as dark mysteries.

And in doing so, they have stumbled upon new dark mysteries.

No they haven't. They've alighted upon additional questions that are within the remit of testable natural processes to answer.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:For example, where does the information in DNA come from?

The arrangement of the nucleotides within the molecule. Change that arrangement, and you have different information. Indeed, as I've already stated on numerous occasions in the past, information is nothing more than the observable data with respect to the current state of a system of interest. This view of information was the basis upon which Turing wrote his 1936 paper On Computable Numbers, within which he introduced the world to Turing machines.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:Please describe in exquisite detail, and with empirically verifiable quantitative accuracy.

See above.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:Science is not qualified to answer some of the dark mysteries that we have discussed on this thread

Wrong. Another blind assertion that belongs in the bin.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:as it does not address the issue of intent.

If there's no entity possessing intent responsible for a given class of entities and phenomena, then your objection is irrelevant.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:For example, why do we have to die?

Wear and tear combined with energy equations. Quite simply, if you cannot extract from your food, sufficient energy to support your life processes, they grind to a halt. As time passes, that capacity becomes reduced.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:Nor can it determine the origin of the big bang

Please tell that to the world's leading cosmologists. Who are busy working on the solutions you assert above purportedly don't, or never will, exist.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:nor whether there is life after death.

Well since this is merely another untestable assertion from supernaturalists, it's not the fault of science that it can't test untestable assertions.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Not once did the scientists responsible for those advances in knowledge, regard the ad hoc introduction of asserted magic entities as necessary, and through those advances, demonstrated that said ad hoc introduction of asserted magic entities was superfluous to requirements and irrelevant. It's testable natural processes all the way down,

Science is great when it operates within its limited sphere.

Those limits are rather less of a constraint than you think.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:and there is zero evidence that this state of affairs is going to change any time soon.

I hope not. But it doesn't mean it will somehow be able to answer questions of intent

Oh but we can answer those questions, in the case of entities whose existence is established, such as human beings. There's an entire branch of science devoted thereto. It's called psychology.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:or where matter came from

Steinhardt & Turok are over there.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:or what happens after death.

You decompose.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:The only people asserting otherwise, are pedlars of duplicitous apologetic fabrications, desperately trying to prop up mythology-based doctrines, in the face of supertanker loads of evidence that those mythology-based doctrines and their assertions are plain, flat, wrong.

I won't address that in this thread.

At some time, if you want to try and persuade us that creationism is something other than a grandiose castle of assertionist fabrications, you'll have to.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1027  Postby Varangian » Sep 15, 2014 11:36 pm

Funny that people who believe in transsubstantiation and similar shit have such a hard time accepting abiogenesis...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#1028  Postby tolman » Sep 16, 2014 12:23 am

Wilberforce1860 wrote:I'm not sure we need to discuss it more here. I haven't gotten that far in your list. I'm on point [0], which is worldview. This includes immaterial versus the material, and various ways of knowing.

You don't even seem to have usefully gone into what 'other ways of knowing' there are which even vaguely deserve the name.

What 'other ways of knowing' exist which make meaningful claims about shared reality, and where there exist objective processes to allow other people to sensibly decide between multiple contradictory claims made by people [supposedly] using such 'ways of knowing'?

In the absence of any sensible process to allow the results of some 'other way of knowing' to be suitably compared with other such results, surely any such results are basically subjective claims which it seems simply dishonest for people to pretend are 'knowledge about reality'.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#1029  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 16, 2014 1:21 am

Varangian wrote:Funny that people who believe in transsubstantiation and similar shit have such a hard time accepting abiogenesis...

Weird isn't it? All this "in your face" evidence, and yet the "truth" is to be found in something that can't be seen, can't be tested, and does not even make sense. :lol: :lol:

Like dead people and dead cockroaches are actually-------which are actually---wait for it-----DEAD! But no, there is something more, something "out there". :crazy: Something that can't be detected, has no known mechanism[s]. Something that can't be modelled or described.

Then there is chemical evolution. We can investigate mechanisms, test evidence, model alternatives. Not perfectly, because this abiogenesis seems to have happened at least 3.6 billion years ago, so of course some evidence will have been lost. But we can be quietly confident methodological naturalism can narrow down the options by a process of elimination. We can eliminate the thermodynamically impossible pathways, for example.
Perhaps all that is needed is a self-replicating molecule with auto-catalytic properties, an energy gradient, and a polar solvent. It would be nice to find life elsewhere. And once life is established, it would tend to "lock out" other ways of life. One system that is more efficient would become dominant, and then the ONLY system....or so I imagine. :)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#1030  Postby SpeedOfSound » Sep 16, 2014 1:26 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
Varangian wrote:Funny that people who believe in transsubstantiation and similar shit have such a hard time accepting abiogenesis...

Weird isn't it? All this "in your face" evidence, and yet the "truth" is to be found in something that can't be seen, can't be tested, and does not even make sense. :lol: :lol:

Like dead people and dead cockroaches are actually-------which are actually---wait for it-----DEAD! But no, there is something more, something "out there". :crazy: Something that can't be detected, has no known mechanism[s]. Something that can't be modelled or described.

Then there is chemical evolution. We can investigate mechanisms, test evidence, model alternatives. Not perfectly, because this abiogenesis seems to have happened at least 3.6 billion years ago, so of course some evidence will have been lost. But we can be quietly confident methodological naturalism can narrow down the options by a process of elimination. We can eliminate the thermodynamically impossible pathways, for example.
Perhaps all that is needed is a self-replicating molecule with auto-catalytic properties, an energy gradient, and a polar solvent. It would be nice to find life elsewhere. And once life is established, it would tend to "lock out" other ways of life. One system that is more efficient would become dominant, and then the ONLY system....or so I imagine. :)

I was trying to explain this to Cali in another thread. Belief is a very real function of the mammalian brain. It involves markers that we build over the course of our lives. Once you understand this you can get around it by being willing to rethink anything that is challenged by others. But then that requires faith in others. :grin: WF believes that he has found holes in science and he also believes that we are like we think he is. That we refuse to see the holes.

It's two guys shouting at each other over the backyard fence. Always a tough night.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#1031  Postby tolman » Sep 16, 2014 1:42 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:

And, interestingly, has different 'truths' claimed to be 'known' about it by different people, with no meaningful mechanism for telling between the 'truths' beyond observing that none have any actual evidence behind them, yet with different people convinced they are right and other people are wrong even though the obvious strongest influence on what any particular believer believes is indoctrination
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#1032  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 16, 2014 1:50 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:

I was trying to explain this to Cali in another thread. Belief is a very real function of the mammalian brain. It involves markers that we build over the course of our lives. Once you understand this you can get around it by being willing to rethink anything that is challenged by others. But then that requires faith in others. :grin: WF believes that he has found holes in science and he also believes that we are like we think he is. That we refuse to see the holes.

It's two guys shouting at each other over the backyard fence. Always a tough night.

I suppose beliefs [in the sense of "habits of mind"] can be very useful. They save one from having to "re-invent the wheel" all the time. I don't think beliefs are toxic in themselves, but we do tend to emotionally invest in them, rather regarding them as merely utilitarian. I always shave before I shower. There is reasoning behind it-it prevents the shaving mirror being clouded by steam from the shower. Of course, there are unconscious assumptions at work here. In the heat of summer, I generally shower with cold water, so the sequence of my morning routine does not matter, because cold water will not fog the mirror. Nevertheless, I can feel uncomfortable if I shower first in summer-then I grin and remember the reason for the sequence and realize I am being silly so no reason. And why I should worry about a misty mirror is anyone's guess, when a quick swipe with a towel will resolve the problem! :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#1033  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 16, 2014 2:05 am

tolman wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:

And, interestingly, has different 'truths' claimed to be 'known' about it by different people, with no meaningful mechanism for telling between the 'truths' beyond observing that none have any actual evidence behind them, yet with different people convinced they are right and other people are wrong even though the obvious strongest influence on what any particular believer believes is indoctrination

<bum custard follows>
I guess it is because tribalism was so successful in human history. The tribes that managed to get people to believe in ONE thing tended to be more successful than those who thought for themselves and just became a herd of cats. [It does not really matter if the belief was true or not for it to work]. Unfortunately, we must now think of the whole human race as a single tribe. Because what the different tribes believed was arbitrary [in the sense of not being evidence-based], we now have all this conflict. The various religions are "right" about one thing-if we all believed the same, then conflict would end. Hence evangelicalism. Religious, political --whatever.
People will often suppress their intelligence and skepticism and individualism because they believe they will be better off thinking what the tribe thinks. Knowledge becomes dangerous.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#1034  Postby Varangian » Sep 16, 2014 6:13 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
tolman wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:

<bum custard follows>
I guess it is because tribalism was so successful in human history. The tribes that managed to get people to believe in ONE thing tended to be more successful than those who thought for themselves and just became a herd of cats. [It does not really matter if the belief was true or not for it to work]. Unfortunately, we must now think of the whole human race as a single tribe. Because what the different tribes believed was arbitrary [in the sense of not being evidence-based], we now have all this conflict. The various religions are "right" about one thing-if we all believed the same, then conflict would end. Hence evangelicalism. Religious, political --whatever.
People will often suppress their intelligence and skepticism and individualism because they believe they will be better off thinking what the tribe thinks. Knowledge becomes dangerous.

..."forbidden fruit" and all that. Religion is codified conformism.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#1035  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 16, 2014 6:38 am

Varangian wrote:

Religion is codified conformism

Indeed! I like your post much better, saves a lot of ink or electrons or whatever. :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#1036  Postby Varangian » Sep 16, 2014 6:52 am

I'm just lazy ;)

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#1037  Postby Shrunk » Sep 16, 2014 3:12 pm

I was thinking about this thread when I heard a story on the news this morning celebrating the 25th anniversary of the discovery of the gene responsible for Cystic Fibrosis, which was made at a hospital in my city. That single discovery has led to new treatments that have literally doubled the life expectancy of a child born with CF. It struck me that, if Wilberforce1860 was correct, things like that shouldn't be happening. According to him, we are fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of reality and instead of limiting our investigations to things like genes, proteins and other molecules, we should be looking for invisible spooks and other such immaterial things which he insists exist and which he believes are really determining what we observe and experience.

There'd be a lot of kids with CF lying in their graves today if researchers were wasting their time on that.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1038  Postby bert » Sep 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Well, there is probably someone willing to take credit for that because he prayed to god to help the scientists.

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#1039  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 17, 2014 2:02 am

Shrunk wrote:I was thinking about this thread when I heard a story on the news this morning celebrating the 25th anniversary of the discovery of the gene responsible for Cystic Fibrosis, which was made at a hospital in my city. That single discovery has led to new treatments that have literally doubled the life expectancy of a child born with CF. It struck me that, if Wilberforce1860 was correct, things like that shouldn't be happening. According to him, we are fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of reality and instead of limiting our investigations to things like genes, proteins and other molecules, we should be looking for invisible spooks and other such immaterial things which he insists exist and which he believes are really determining what we observe and experience.

There'd be a lot of kids with CF lying in their graves today if researchers were wasting their time on that.

You materialistic swine! You and your ilk have deprived those CF kids of an earlier reunion with the sweet baby Cheeses! :evilgrin:

Atheist morality! :doh: :crazy:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#1040  Postby Varangian » Sep 17, 2014 7:05 am

Yeah, interrupting in God's plan for them and all!

Varangian
RS Donator

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism