Do any Christians post here?

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Do any Christians post here?

#1  Postby OrdinaryClay » Jun 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Or is this sub-forum for self affirmation among atheists?
OrdinaryClay
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 109

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Do any Christians post here?

#2  Postby Rumraket » Jun 06, 2017 5:48 pm

OrdinaryClay wrote:Or is this sub-forum for self affirmation among atheists?

You're here posting now, so that basically answers the question. There have been various theists here in the past (not just christians iirc). I don't know why but this subforum seemed to pretty much die out over the last 5 years or so.

Back in 2010-2012 was when the creationists and ID proponents of their various stripes seemed to be the most active. In general, I see much less activity from such people these days. I don't really know why that is, though it seems in some part because the ID movement is past it's prime. Or I guess at least in part because of the rise of mediums such as facebook, twitter, youtube and the like, people argue on those instead of on discussion forums like these.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
 
Posts: 13215
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#3  Postby OrdinaryClay » Jun 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Your point about other mediums is a very good one. It may have a lot to do with it.

ID is still very active. I myself am an old earth ID proponent and the community is still very active.
OrdinaryClay
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 109

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#4  Postby Fallible » Jun 07, 2017 7:53 am

Well they don't generally come here anymore. The forum as a whole has become much less active as the years have gone by anyway.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#5  Postby tuco » Jun 07, 2017 8:09 am

I think its a pity as rationalskepticism.org is decent address and rational skepticism decent world view. Perhaps what I would call narrow and confrontational focus on (anti)theism, unlike general and constructive focus on skepticism, also played part in decline of activity. Putting all eggs in one basket so to say.
tuco
 
Posts: 15550

Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#6  Postby Rumraket » Jun 07, 2017 8:23 am

Actually I just think the rise of social media explain most of the general decline of discussion forums.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
 
Posts: 13215
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#7  Postby tuco » Jun 07, 2017 8:29 am

Yes you said that already. Saying it repeatedly does not make it true.

btw none of the media you listed is suited, perhaps even meant, for discussions. For arguing .. oh I got it now.
tuco
 
Posts: 15550

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Do any Christians post here?

#8  Postby Ironclad » Jun 07, 2017 9:35 am

Maybe discussion fora are known now to be far too savage a platform for shit ideas. :dunno:
YouTube ain't a place ID will face more visible losses?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23920
Age: 52
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#9  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 07, 2017 11:02 am

Those creationists that are still actively propagandising for their failed ideas, are more likely to turn to Facebook these days, because the FB format is far less suited to the presentation of contrary data, and lends itself to Gish Gallops.

Trying to embed lengthy extracts from scientific papers on FB is a pain in the arse for anyone who has tried this. As a consequence, forums like this, that facilitate exactly this counter-attack with ease, are now being avoided because they're too readily recognised as fatal terrain for creationist propaganda.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22089
Age: 59
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 07, 2017 11:07 am

Never on FB but dont you have more control over contributors? That is one thing theists dont seem to get used to here. We dont have an ignore button.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43119
Age: 72
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#11  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 07, 2017 11:28 am

Indeed, on FB you can limit posting rights to your declared "friends" if you so wish.

However, that's a two edged sword. Because in order to spread their propaganda, creationists have to post on other people's feeds, and the moment they do that, it's the recipient's settings that apply. If the recipient decides to make said propaganda a free fire zone, the creationist has no way of preventing this.

Consequently, creationist propagandising on FB tends to be a mutual appreciation society, and as a corollary, handicaps itself. The typical creationist seen on FB, however, falls into two basic phenotypes. One is too stupid and self-absorbed, to recognise the self-handicapping effect of trying to wield authoritarian levels of editorial control, on a medium that wasn't designed for this (and was designed instead for maximum dissemination of content), the other is too much of a snowflake to expose his precious ideas to proper scrutiny.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22089
Age: 59
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#12  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 07, 2017 11:31 am

I will just stick to discussion forums.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43119
Age: 72
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#13  Postby felltoearth » Jun 08, 2017 8:39 pm

tuco wrote:Yes you said that already. Saying it repeatedly does not make it true.

btw none of the media you listed is suited, perhaps even meant, for discussions. For arguing .. oh I got it now.


If others fora weren't shutting down, i would say you're onto something. But that's not the case as a number of fora I'm a member of have been in decline over the last few years. A once very active music forum I am a member of is shutting down in a few weeks.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 14067
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#14  Postby tuco » Jun 08, 2017 8:46 pm

I said:

also played part in decline of activity


Think of it as competition. Some fora decline, some stagnate and some prosper. I do not have any hard numbers on this but it cannot be any other way ;)

Sure, as fora compete so do platforms. Identifying just one factor for this dynamic is imo shallow and inaccurate.
tuco
 
Posts: 15550

Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#15  Postby felltoearth » Jun 08, 2017 9:01 pm

I don't see any prospering fora nowadays. That's the point.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 14067
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Do any Christians post here?

#16  Postby tuco » Jun 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Do I understand it correctly that since you do not see prospering fora nowdays its for a fact that they do not exist? Its for fact that all discussion communities with similar format to this fora declined since <insert year>?
tuco
 
Posts: 15550

Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#17  Postby Weaver » Jun 08, 2017 10:57 pm

tuco wrote:Yes you said that already. Saying it repeatedly does not make it true.

Saving for later quotation.
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 52
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#18  Postby Weaver » Jun 08, 2017 11:01 pm

OrdinaryClay wrote:Your point about other mediums is a very good one. It may have a lot to do with it.

ID is still very active. I myself am an old earth ID proponent and the community is still very active.

ID isn't actually active - it's just that there are many die-hards still going round and round and getting nowhere, but assuring each other that they're right and everyone else is wrong.

If ID were active, they would be coming up with falsifiable models and publishing in scientific journals. You know, like they promised they would do a decade and more ago.

Most of ID has even given up on the pretense that they aren't just repackaged religion - and Christianity specifically. Or, as they so famously labeled themselves, "cdesign proponentsists".
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 52
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#19  Postby tuco » Jun 08, 2017 11:05 pm

When I repeat myself, which I do because nobody seems to listen for first time, I write: I repeat, one more time, or reiterate unlike: actually to signify fact or emphasize surprise. However, you can even use it in your signature, I allow it :)

You are welcome.
tuco
 
Posts: 15550

Print view this post

Re: Do any Christians post here?

#20  Postby Mazille » Jun 08, 2017 11:17 pm

tuco wrote:Do I understand it correctly that since you do not see prospering fora nowdays its for a fact that they do not exist? Its for fact that all discussion communities with similar format to this fora declined since <insert year>?

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... l&q=forums

I get the idea. You're on facebook/reddit anyway, most likely. If you're interested in - say - keeping pet frogs, why would you join five different forums with seperate usernames and passwords when you can get the same service right on facebook/reddit by just joining a couple of groups/following a couple of /r's with a click or two from a page you start your day with anyway?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 35
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest