Does the Earth spin/rotate about it's axis?

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Does the Earth spin/rotate about it's axis?

#2601  Postby Goldenmane » Aug 27, 2014 12:28 pm

tolman wrote:
Veida wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
Veida wrote:How do they explain how the Earth is shaped and that g varies from poles to equator, if the Earth doesn't rotate?

What we see is what the designer wanted.

Boring.

Actually, somewhat interesting.

When it comes to religiously-inspired Christian geocentrists, as opposed to, for example, freelance fuckwits and delusionals, their argument is effectively that their deity has made a universe which by every rational measure isn't geocentric while in reality it is, purely in order to deceive people.

That is, they actually believe their deity is petty, scheming and dishonest.
And made them in its own image.

Same line of reasoning creationists have sometimes deployed regarding God planting fossils to test our faith. :coffee:
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2602  Postby Veida » Aug 27, 2014 12:50 pm

tolman wrote:Actually, somewhat interesting.

When it comes to religiously-inspired Christian geocentrists, as opposed to, for example, freelance fuckwits and delusionals, their argument is effectively that their deity has made a universe which by every rational measure isn't geocentric while in reality it is, purely in order to deceive people.
So it would in effect be lying?

tolman wrote:That is, they actually believe their deity is petty, scheming and dishonest.

I seem to recall that there are some pronouncements in their wolly book that say that their deity cannot lie. Which would make that a rather strange position to hold.
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#2603  Postby Goldenmane » Aug 27, 2014 1:11 pm

Veida wrote:

tolman wrote:That is, they actually believe their deity is petty, scheming and dishonest.

I seem to recall that there are some pronouncements in their wolly book that say that their deity cannot lie. Which would make that a rather strange position to hold.

I always found that an interesting restriction to place on their omnipotent god. Surely the magic fuck has the power to lie.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

#2604  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Goldenmane wrote:
Veida wrote:

I always found that an interesting restriction to place on their omnipotent god. Surely the magic fuck has the power to lie.

He can lie about not being able to lie. I suppose for the people who agree with the "can't lie" part and yet think he placed fossils as a test or made it look like Earth was moving as a test would argue that he isn't lying just testing. Or that we can't understand god and thus what we think of as a lie is really not, like Obi Wan and his bullshit I didn't lie I just told you a different version of the truth.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2605  Postby Goldenmane » Aug 27, 2014 1:25 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:
Goldenmane wrote:
Veida wrote:

He can lie about not being able to lie. I suppose for the people who agree with the "can't lie" part and yet think he placed fossils as a test or made it look like Earth was moving as a test would argue that he isn't lying just testing. Or that we can't understand god and thus what we think of as a lie is really not, like Obi Wan and his bullshit I didn't lie I just told you a different version of the truth.

Meh. That's why I always ask for definitions.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

#2606  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Goldenmane wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:
Goldenmane wrote:
Veida wrote: So it would in effect be lying?

A wise thing to do, it at least helps you get on the same page. Even if their apologetics twist that page into a swan.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2607  Postby Goldenmane » Aug 27, 2014 1:36 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:
Goldenmane wrote:
DarthHelmet86 wrote:
Goldenmane wrote:

A wise thing to do, it at least helps you get on the same page. Even if their apologetics twist that page into a swan.

Usually, that page is twisted into a poo.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2608  Postby KeenIdiot » Aug 27, 2014 1:58 pm

There's a bit in the bible where God sends spirits of deception to mislead people.
So see? He didn't lie, he just sent spirits of deception to lie for him. He never lies!

And also, fixed and unmoving means rotating about the sun.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2609  Postby lucek » Aug 28, 2014 12:50 am

hackenslash wrote:I had already considered that, and I plan to do a mammoth debunking if the thread is still running when I have leisure. I also want to know how he explains geomagnetism with a static earth.

He keeps citing a paper by Thirring that I'm unfamiliar with, which he says states that frame-dragging is sufficient to explain the coriolis effect.

Yeah I'm familiar with that. a pendulum is pulled along with the space whipping round the earth faster then light but for some reason geostationary satellites aren't. It's basic cherry picking.

Oh with this thread revived a great video series that deserves more love.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2610  Postby tolman » Aug 28, 2014 2:14 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:He can lie about not being able to lie.

I'm not sure I would trust individuals (real or mythical) who made a big point about how honest they were.

It's like believing a believer banging on about how Deeply Humble they are.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#2611  Postby Someone » Aug 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Defense Mechanism. See Freud.
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Name: James

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism