Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

Günter Bechly denounces Neo-Darwinism

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#81  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 27, 2017 3:38 pm

What I love about threads like these is even if the OP is the same old, tired long- discredited creationist wishful thinking, I still end up learning something about some other topic.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14510
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#82  Postby laklak » Dec 27, 2017 3:44 pm

We're sho' nuff Renaissance peeps 'round these parts.

I find it interesting that when some dude decides to become religious (or has a cerebral event or whatever causes it) it's major news in Creationist circles, but when hundreds of thousands of people abandon religion it isn't.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20871
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#83  Postby felltoearth » Dec 27, 2017 5:57 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:What I love about threads like these is even if the OP is the same old, tired long- discredited creationist wishful thinking, I still end up learning something about some other topic.

Hear hear! :cheers:

This is why we need to get notifications working again. We need more chew toys around here.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13928
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#84  Postby NineBerry » Dec 27, 2017 6:00 pm

felltoearth wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:What I love about threads like these is even if the OP is the same old, tired long- discredited creationist wishful thinking, I still end up learning something about some other topic.

Hear hear! :cheers:

This is why we need to get notifications working again. We need more chew toys around here.


Maybe Life has turned into a fundamentalist Christian as well and is now busy spreading the good news :ask:
User avatar
NineBerry
RS Donator
 
Posts: 6133
Age: 42
Male

Country: nSk
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#85  Postby Wortfish » Dec 27, 2017 8:00 pm

laklak wrote:We're sho' nuff Renaissance peeps 'round these parts.

I find it interesting that when some dude decides to become religious (or has a cerebral event or whatever causes it) it's major news in Creationist circles, but when hundreds of thousands of people abandon religion it isn't.

I suspect very few formerly religious people lost their faith by examining all of the scientific evidence.
User avatar
Wortfish
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#86  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Not one of them have. There isn't any.

Alternatively, all of them have. It took only a second or two.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21021
Age: 57
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#87  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Wortfish wrote:
laklak wrote:We're sho' nuff Renaissance peeps 'round these parts.

I find it interesting that when some dude decides to become religious (or has a cerebral event or whatever causes it) it's major news in Creationist circles, but when hundreds of thousands of people abandon religion it isn't.

I suspect very few formerly religious people lost their faith by examining all of the scientific evidence.

Its true, you don't need to eat an entire apple to see it's rotten. But it is funny to watch the particularity credulous apologists for their religion try to choke it down anyway.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14510
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#88  Postby Macdoc » Dec 27, 2017 8:50 pm

What's scary for me is that people in power takes this tripe seriously and who knows what plotting goes on to "impose".
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 17156
Age: 73
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#89  Postby theropod » Dec 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Wortfish wrote:
laklak wrote:We're sho' nuff Renaissance peeps 'round these parts.

I find it interesting that when some dude decides to become religious (or has a cerebral event or whatever causes it) it's major news in Creationist circles, but when hundreds of thousands of people abandon religion it isn't.

I suspect very few formerly religious people lost their faith by examining all of the scientific evidence.


ALL of the scientific evidence? This is not possible for any one human being to accomplish. For this formerly ordained minister in a fundamentalist sect of Christianity all it took was being exposed to the facts surrounding the fossil record. I went to a nearby university to my own which had a really good section of their library devoted to the geology of my state. When I learned how to to apply critical examination to the support for deep time and the force of evolution acting across the entire biosphere I became convinced that the allegorical language of the Bible is a weak attempt to conjure up a way imagined to escape mortality. It is at the root of all faith. When we became aware that we are mortal creatures it was only a matter of time until someone came up with religious myths that provide a “get-out-of-jail-free” card if rules are followed. One of the rules is to never question the religion.

The world is flat and the entire universe orbits our importance.
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
User avatar
theropod
RS Donator
 
Name: Roger
Posts: 7529
Age: 67
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#90  Postby Macdoc » Dec 27, 2017 11:04 pm

I suspect rather most lost the tooth fairy urge early on .....some celebrate their purposeful ignorance. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 17156
Age: 73
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#91  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 27, 2017 11:11 pm

I am deeply glad we never once subjected our boys to such shit. They've never had to rationalize what they would know to be bullshit anyway.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21021
Age: 57
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#92  Postby Blackadder » Dec 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Fenrir wrote:
laklak wrote:Tripe is a misunderstood delicacy. Just cook it outside.
... outside someone elses house, for preference a house in another country. One that is about to be hit by a cyclone.


My Indian grandmother used to cook tripe curry until inspectors from the British Government's Porton Down chemical weapons research unit came and shut her down.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
User avatar
Blackadder
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3774
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#93  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 31, 2017 5:35 pm

theropod wrote:...ALL of the scientific evidence? This is not possible for any one human being to accomplish.
...

Now you are taking a leaf out of the literalist book (viz a viz the use of "all". :naughty:

EDIT: Oh, no! You'll probably go nuts again, because I dared to criticise your wording - again!
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#94  Postby felltoearth » Dec 31, 2017 5:44 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
theropod wrote:...ALL of the scientific evidence? This is not possible for any one human being to accomplish.
...

Now you are taking a leaf out of the literalist book (viz a viz the use of "all". :naughty:

EDIT: Oh, no! You'll probably go nuts again, because I dared to criticise your wording - again!

You're taking the comment out of context. The ALL isn't the point of the post.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13928
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#95  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 31, 2017 5:53 pm

felltoearth wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
theropod wrote:...ALL of the scientific evidence? This is not possible for any one human being to accomplish.
...

Now you are taking a leaf out of the literalist book (viz a viz the use of "all". :naughty:

EDIT: Oh, no! You'll probably go nuts again, because I dared to criticise your wording - again!

You're taking the comment out of context. The ALL isn't the point of the post.

No, I'm not. The post started with "ALL the evidence", and theropod apparently took it literally, when it was obviously just a turn of phrase.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#96  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 31, 2017 5:56 pm

felltoearth wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
theropod wrote:...ALL of the scientific evidence? This is not possible for any one human being to accomplish.
...

Now you are taking a leaf out of the literalist book (viz a viz the use of "all". :naughty:

EDIT: Oh, no! You'll probably go nuts again, because I dared to criticise your wording - again!

You're taking the comment out of context. The ALL isn't the point of the post.

Either way it's an inane semantic point followed by a personalised edit.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31073
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#97  Postby felltoearth » Dec 31, 2017 5:59 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
theropod wrote:...ALL of the scientific evidence? This is not possible for any one human being to accomplish.
...

Now you are taking a leaf out of the literalist book (viz a viz the use of "all". :naughty:

EDIT: Oh, no! You'll probably go nuts again, because I dared to criticise your wording - again!

You're taking the comment out of context. The ALL isn't the point of the post.

No, I'm not. The post started with "ALL the evidence", and theropod apparently took it literally, when it was obviously just a turn of phrase.

Yes. And then there were words after it.
"How can you say it's a mixed deciduous forest?! The first tree I came across was coniferous!"
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13928
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#98  Postby felltoearth » Dec 31, 2017 5:59 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
theropod wrote:...ALL of the scientific evidence? This is not possible for any one human being to accomplish.
...

Now you are taking a leaf out of the literalist book (viz a viz the use of "all". :naughty:

EDIT: Oh, no! You'll probably go nuts again, because I dared to criticise your wording - again!

You're taking the comment out of context. The ALL isn't the point of the post.

Either way it's an inane semantic point followed by a personalised edit.


True true.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13928
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#99  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 31, 2017 6:02 pm

felltoearth wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Now you are taking a leaf out of the literalist book (viz a viz the use of "all". :naughty:

EDIT: Oh, no! You'll probably go nuts again, because I dared to criticise your wording - again!

You're taking the comment out of context. The ALL isn't the point of the post.

No, I'm not. The post started with "ALL the evidence", and theropod apparently took it literally, when it was obviously just a turn of phrase.

Yes. And then there were words after it.
...

It was the words after it that were exactly of the problem:
theropod wrote:This is not possible for any one human being to accomplish.


EDIT: That is why it seemed that theropod was taking a leaf out of the literalist's book! And why it is you, not me, that appears to be ignoring the context.
Last edited by DavidMcC on Dec 31, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#100  Postby felltoearth » Dec 31, 2017 6:04 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
You're taking the comment out of context. The ALL isn't the point of the post.

No, I'm not. The post started with "ALL the evidence", and theropod apparently took it literally, when it was obviously just a turn of phrase.

Yes. And then there were words after it.
...

It was the words after it that were exactly of the problem:
theropod wrote:This is not possible for any one human being to accomplish.


http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... l#p2606846
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13928
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest