Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

Günter Bechly denounces Neo-Darwinism

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#1  Postby Wortfish » Dec 25, 2017 4:10 pm

German paleontologist and entomologist, Günter Bechly, is famous for his work on dragonflies in the fossil record. However, after studying the bacterial flagellum, he became convinced that Darwinism could not explain its origin. A former atheist, he has since become a Christian and has endorsed intelligent design:

He has stated his total opposition to naturalism, atheism and materialism on his website: https://gbechly.jimdo.com/

I am a Roman Catholic Christian and strongly oppose atheism, materialism, naturalism, and scientism. I have not become a Christian in spite of being a scientist but because of it. My conversion was based on a critical evaluation of empirical data and philosophical arguments, following the evidence wherever it leads. I am skeptical of the Neodarwinian theory of macroevolution and support Intelligent Design theory for purely scientific reasons.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Entomologist's crusade against naturalism and atheism

#2  Postby Macdoc » Dec 25, 2017 4:17 pm

No cure for stupid decisions...

Wikipedia Erases Paleontologist Günter Bechly | Evolution News
https://evolutionnews.org/2017/10/wikip ... er-bechly/
Oct 10, 2017 - Günter Bechly is a distinguished paleontologist, specializing in fossil dragonflies, exquisitely preserved in amber for tens of millions of years. After revealing his support for the theory of intelligent design, he was pushed out as a curator at the State Museum of Natural History in Stuttgart, Germany.

what's the term for reversion to infantile delusion....

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Wortfish wrote:German paleontologist and entomologist, Günter Bechly, is famous for his work on dragonflies in the fossil record. However, after studying the bacterial flagellum, he became convinced that Darwinism could not explain its origin.

That just demonstrates he either doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, or being dishonest.

Wortfish wrote: A former atheist, he has since become a Christian and has endorsed intelligent design:

Only makes him more of an idiot or dishonest person.

Wortfish wrote:

He has stated his total opposition to naturalism, atheism and materialism on his website: https://gbechly.jimdo.com/

I am a Roman Catholic Christian and strongly oppose atheism, materialism, naturalism, and scientism. I have not become a Christian in spite of being a scientist but because of it. My conversion was based on a critical evaluation of empirical data and philosophical arguments, following the evidence wherever it leads. I am skeptical of the Neodarwinian theory of macroevolution and support Intelligent Design theory for purely scientific reasons.

Like every other creationist he fails completely to present even a single sound scientific reason.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Dec 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Whenever I hear the word "philosophical" I reach for my Luger.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Wortfish » Dec 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Like every other creationist he fails completely to present even a single sound scientific reason.

Actually, he does. He claims that the ontogenesis of the bacterial flagellum shows that it couldn't have been built by recruiting precursor parts.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Actually, he does.

Only if you (dishonestly pretend to) not understand what scientific reasoning is.

Wortfish wrote:He claims that the ontogenesis of the bacterial flagellum shows that it couldn't have been built by recruiting precursor parts.

Which is a blind assertion, that, at best would say something about bacterial flagelli, not evolution as a whole.
But since it doesnt do that, my original comment stands: no scientific reason whatsoever.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Wortfish » Dec 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Macdoc wrote:

He goes on to say the following:

"I strongly reject the modern surrogate religion of atheistic naturalism (esp. "New Atheism"), secular humanism, eliminative materialism, functionalist physicalism, mechanistic determinism, and reductionistic scientism as incoherent, irrational, empirically refuted, and ultimately absurd faith."
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Macdoc wrote:

He goes on to say the following:

"I strongly reject the modern surrogate religion of atheistic naturalism (esp. "New Atheism"), secular humanism, eliminative materialism, functionalist physicalism, mechanistic determinism, and reductionistic scientism as incoherent, irrational, empirically refuted, and ultimately absurd faith."

What he blindly asserts about a silly collection of straw-men is completely irrelevant.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Dec 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Interesting. He says he's a Catholic, yet the Pope accepts evolution. I guess he doesn't believe in Papal infallibility either.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Wortfish wrote:German paleontologist and entomologist, Günter Bechly, is famous for his work on dragonflies in the fossil record. However, after studying the bacterial flagellum, he became convinced that Darwinism could not explain its origin. A former atheist, he has since become a Christian and has endorsed intelligent design:

Sad to see a scientist fooled by a neat bit of evolution:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13663-evolution-myths-the-bacterial-flagellum-is-irreducibly-complex/
Evolution myths: The bacterial flagellum is irreducibly complex
By Michael Le Page
Actually, flagella vary widely from one species to another, and some of the components can perform useful functions by themselves. They are anything but irreducibly complex.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Actually, evolution naturally produces "irreducible complexity" - it's the way it works when there are multiple independently evolved components of a system, that can then work together to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby zulumoose » Dec 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Animavore wrote:Interesting. He says he's a Catholic, yet the Pope accepts evolution. I guess he doesn't believe in Papal infallibility either.

Isn't it the last 4 or 5 popes already?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#13  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 25, 2017 5:26 pm

I hope a friend of Günter Bechly will have a word in his ear about how evolutionary biology can work.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Dec 25, 2017 5:35 pm

zulumoose wrote:
Animavore wrote:Interesting. He says he's a Catholic, yet the Pope accepts evolution. I guess he doesn't believe in Papal infallibility either.

Yeah, I think Pope Pius was the first to officially state there was no conflict between evolution and Catholicism.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Wortfish » Dec 25, 2017 5:42 pm

He accepts common descent, just not Neo-Darwinian evolutionism. He is a saltationist.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Wortfish » Dec 25, 2017 5:43 pm

DavidMcC wrote:I hope a friend of Günter Bechly will have a word in his ear about how evolutionary biology can work.

He is a well-known palaeontologist. That's why the ID camp regards his defection as akin to a top KGB operative joining the CIA (in the days of the Cold War).
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Animavore wrote:
zulumoose wrote:

Yeah, I think Pope Pius was the first to officially state there was no conflict between evolution and Catholicism.

Saying he's a Catholic isn't the problem. A supposed scientist denying evolution IS, whether he's a Catholic or not.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Animavore » Dec 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Wortfish wrote:

He accepts common descent, just not Neo-Darwinian evolutionism. He is a saltationist.

Well that's just stupid.

Anyway, the Pope accepts Darwinism.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Animavore » Dec 25, 2017 6:17 pm

Wortfish wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:I hope a friend of Günter Bechly will have a word in his ear about how evolutionary biology can work.

He is a well-known palaeontologist. That's why the ID camp regards his defection as akin to a top KGB operative joining the CIA (in the days of the Cold War).

A tacit admission that ID proponents are ideologues fighting what they believe is an ideological war and this had nothing to do with a debate over sscientific facts.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Wortfish wrote:

All the more reason why it is important to get him to think again. He needs to re-think his evolutionary biology theory.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism