Ex-atheist professor says God responsible for Big Bang

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Ex-atheist professor says God responsible for Big Bang

#1  Postby DoctorE » Nov 18, 2014 9:39 am

NEW ORLEANS – A Tulane physics professor is working on a project that's getting attention around the country – he's trying to prove mathematically and through experimentation that God exists.

Professor Frank Tipler has studied the universe for decades – from the splendor of the earth to the wonder of the heavens above.

Tipler admits that when he started on the research, he was the ultimate doubter – an atheist.

Now though, he's changed his tune.

"There is a God out there that created everything that is," he said recently.

He considers it a scientific epiphany. When Tipler started, he studied the work of fame physicist and atheist Stephen Hawking but he said he realized that modern science actually harkened back to the work of the middle-ages theologians like St. Thomas Aquinas.

Tipler's research is based on theory that if before everything there was nothing, then only a god could have brought into existence what had never existed before.

In other words, he said God is the Big Bang.

Continues: http://www.wwltv.com/story/life/2014/11 ... /19192557/
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Ex-atheist professor says God responsible for Big Bang

#2  Postby chairman bill » Nov 18, 2014 9:56 am

Tipler's research is based on theory that if before everything there was nothing, then only a god could have brought into existence what had never existed before.

That's not a theory, it's a fanciful notion, grounded in an unfounded premise.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby GrahamH » Nov 18, 2014 10:03 am

Tipler has a natural explanation for every miracle of Christianity, including those not in the Bible but infallibly validated by the Roman Church. All are caused by God, though “never ever” by abrogating any law of physics.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/the_stran ... ngs_tipler

Puny god.

Here is a typical paragraph about Jesus’s Resurrection:

I am proposing that the Son and Father Singularities guided the worlds of the multiverse to concentrate the energy of the particles constituting Jesus in our universe into the Jesus of our universe. In effect, Jesus’ dead body, lying in the tomb, would have been enveloped in a sphaleron field. This field would have dematerialized Jesus’ body into neutrinos and antineutrinos in a fraction of a second, after which the energy transferred to this world would have been transferred back to the other worlds from whence it came. Reversing this process (by having neutrinos and antineutrinos—almost certainly not the original neutrinos and antineutrinos dematerialized from Jesus’ body—materialize into another body) would generate Jesus’ Resurrection body.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Nov 18, 2014 10:19 am

How does this bloke get from the idea that there must be a deity behind existence, to the specifics of the Christian God? Why not a deist perspective on life, the universe & everything?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby quisquose » Nov 18, 2014 10:25 am

chairman bill wrote:How does this bloke get from the idea that there must be a deity behind existence, to the specifics of the Christian God? Why not a deist perspective on life, the universe & everything?

Because a deist perspective won't get his research paid for?
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Fenrir » Nov 18, 2014 10:29 am

chairman bill wrote:How does this bloke get from the idea that there must be a deity behind existence, to the specifics of the Christian God?

Um, same way he got to deity in the first place, by making shit up?
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 18, 2014 10:29 am

DoctorE wrote:
He considers it a scientific epiphany. When Tipler started, he studied the work of fame physicist and atheist Stephen Hawking but he said he realized that modern science actually harkened back to the work of the middle-ages theologians like St. Thomas Aquinas.

When I started, I studied the work of famous mythographist and Christian Robert Graves but soon realized that modern science harkened back to the work of the ancient Greeks like Aristotle, Democritus, Eratosthenes, and Thales, and so I now believe that out of Chaos sprang Erebus and Night.

Stupid reasoning.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 18, 2014 10:33 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_J._T ... _cosmology

The Omega Point is a term Tipler uses to describe a cosmological state in the distant proper-time future of the universe that he maintains is required by the known physical laws. According to this cosmology, it is required for the known laws of physics to be mutually consistent that intelligent life take over all matter in the universe and eventually force its collapse.

Criticism

Critics of the final omega point principle say its arguments violate the Copernican principle, that it incorrectly applies the laws of probability, and that it is really a theology or metaphysics principle made to sound plausible to laypeople by using the esoteric language of physics. Martin Gardner dubbed FAP the "completely ridiculous anthropic principle" (CRAP).[12] Oxford-based philosopher Nick Bostrom writes that the final anthropic principle has no claim on any special methodological status, it is "pure speculation", despite attempts to elevate it by calling it a "principle".[13] Philosopher Rem B. Edwards called it "futuristic, pseudoscientific eschatology" that is "highly conjectural, unverified, and improbable".[14]

What's particularly amusing is that one doesn't need to abbreviate it to CRAP when it already has a perfectly appropriate acronym for Final Anthropic Principle.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Nov 18, 2014 10:36 am

DoctorE wrote:

Wait, what? Either there was nothing or there was a God. Which is it?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby catbasket » Nov 18, 2014 10:38 am

Wikipedia says:
Tipler has authored books and papers on the Omega Point, which he claims is a mechanism for the resurrection of the dead. Some have argued that it is pseudoscience.[3] He is also known for his theories on the Tipler cylinder time machine. Tipler was a fellow of the International Society for Complexity, Information, and Design, a society advocating intelligent design.

The Strange Case of Frank Jennings Tipler book review by Martin Gardner, CSICOP March/April 2008:

I am proposing that the Son and Father Singularities guided the worlds of the multiverse to concentrate the energy of the particles constituting Jesus in our universe into the Jesus of our universe. In effect, Jesus’ dead body, lying in the tomb, would have been enveloped in a sphaleron field. This field would have dematerialized Jesus’ body into neutrinos and antineutrinos in a fraction of a second, after which the energy transferred to this world would have been transferred back to the other worlds from whence it came. Reversing this process (by having neutrinos and antineutrinos—almost certainly not the original neutrinos and antineutrinos dematerialized from Jesus’ body—materialize into another body) would generate Jesus’ Resurrection body.

For a few moments, after finishing The Physics of Christianity, I began to wonder if the book could be a subtle, hilarious hoax. Sadly, it is not.
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 18, 2014 11:07 am

catbasket wrote:
The Strange Case of Frank Jennings Tipler book review by Martin Gardner, CSICOP March/April 2008:

For a few moments, after finishing The Physics of Christianity, I began to wonder if the book could be a subtle, hilarious hoax. Sadly, it is not.

Woah dude, that's some serious shit! I hope he ain't driving!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Nebogipfel » Nov 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Pfff. That sort of thing happens all the time on Star Trek: Voyager.
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Methinks perhaps Frank has tippled a little too much.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism