Good atheist/agnostic rebuttals for kent hovind.

Need great atheist/agnostic rebuttals for kent hovind's answer in debate.

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

#1  Postby musicmatters » Aug 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Good day to you all. My Christian friend sent me a very short video of a Kent hovind debate where he seems to have destroyed the other atheist debater with his answer. The question is basically: "If God created the universe then who created God?"

Hovind's answer was very good and intelligent, and would leave any new atheist speechless in a debate. So do you know of any videos of great Atheist/agnostic debaters like hitchens, Sam Harris, etc. That give a good rebuttal to his answer? Here is the YouTube link to his video: https://youtu.be/RVzeojdXbpQ
musicmatters

Name: jay

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Good atheist/agnostic rebuttals for kent hovind.

#2  Postby romansh » Aug 09, 2019 6:15 pm

What's Hovind's answer?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Oh yeah, totally destroyed :lol:
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2019 6:17 pm

That look scripted. He was also wrong when he said the Bible says that time, space, and matter were created at the same time, if we are charitable and accept his interpretation that Earth = matter. Earth was created on the fourth day.

He also didn't answer the question at all. He was asked a how question and responded with a why answer. We're none the wiser as to how the immaterial influences matter.

And what's with the music?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Might this "Christian friend" of yours be known locally as "musicmatters" perchance?
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod » Aug 09, 2019 6:28 pm

What’s the need? My one question to Kent would be as follows:

What empirical evidence do you have to support your base assertion that there is a god at all, and by what means may I replicate your testing?

He, as he always does, would go off on a Gish Gallop and never address the root problem with all supernatural claims. There’s simply no evidence, of an empirical nature, which supports these assertions. Until such time as the adherents of belief come up with some of that evidence the rest of the qualities such people as Kent assign to their deity is nothing but dressing for the cake. Trouble is Kent wants his dressed up cake, and for us to eat it, when there is nothing but an empty plate.

RS
Last edited by theropod on Aug 09, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Aug 09, 2019 6:32 pm

There's no "debate" here, the best approach is leave them to their ignorance and get on with your life. Might as well argue over who's better, Brittany Spears or Taylor Swift.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby theropod » Aug 09, 2019 6:38 pm

How many states of matter have been discovered now? Certainly more than 3.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 09, 2019 6:50 pm

musicmatters wrote:Good day to you all. My Christian friend sent me a very short video of a Kent hovind debate where he seems to have destroyed the other atheist debater with his answer. The question is basically: "If God created the universe then who created God?"

Hovind's answer was very good and intelligent, and would leave any new atheist speechless in a debate. So do you know of any videos of great Atheist/agnostic debaters like hitchens, Sam Harris, etc. That give a good rebuttal to his answer? Here is the YouTube link to his video: https://youtu.be/RVzeojdXbpQ

Kent Hovind is genuinely ignorant. And by ignorant, I mean gob-smackingly thick. His knowledge wouldn't be current 500 years ago. I've witnessed him being schooled by vastly more knowledgeable people so many times, and even though they were clear and efficient in their communication to him, he struggled to grasp even the outline of what they were saying, then continued making the same errors he'd just been educated about in his response.

He's a liar, a charlatan, and a convicted fraud.

I watched the video. I didn't see him 'destroy' anyone or anything. Atheism isn't a steady stream of indoctrination, so whether the atheist is new to it or an atheist of many years is entirely irrelevant; what actually matters is how knowledgeable they are, whether they can think clearly and see through bullshit being spun by a snake-oil seller.

What specifically did you find so compelling there? For me, it was full of errors from a scientific perspective (for example, he's not even aware that there were 4 states of matter known as 'classical states' - he forgot plasma, and he clearly knows bugger all about the dozen modern states of matter ), he failed even to render the Biblical account of Creation accurately given that God didn't create matter at the same time as 'He' created time and space, and it was all merely assertionism from a philosophical perspective.

In essence, his answer to 'where did God come from' was 'God doesn't need to come from anywhere, God just is' by definition i.e. the standard ultimate answer of all presuppositional apologetics and a complete non-answer.

And of course, the response then is 'well, then the universe just is, and the difference is that we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the universe actually exists - no faith needed'.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Animavore wrote:That look scripted.

And what's with the music?

Edited and produced to try to make Hovind look good.

It's this channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FEkSeE2xGY - Alpha-Omega Productions

Peruse the videos they have on offer - astonishing levels of conceited ignorance.

- The TRUTH about SATAN! He really FEARS you will watch and discover this video!
(uploaded multiple times)

- It's not a Concpiracy (sic) anymore! THIRD TEMPLE brings END TIMES-CHRISTIAN, ISLAMIC & JEWISH Prophecies
Uploaded over a year ago, end times still pending

- Imam converts after reading about JESUS IN THE Quran
How the fuck was he an Imam before even having read the Quran?

- Angles caught on video! Solid proof of the spiritual world
Taken with that new spirit lens, no doubt.

- How we Should Pray to get Our Prayers Answered
Magic 8 Ball says yes, no, maybe - our prayers are answered!

- Biggest Discovery Ever Made! Blood of Jesus Tested In Laboratory the Results will Blow your Mind
If you believe that we have the blood of Jesus, you have no mind to be blown

- Never ever do YOGA! The Danger of Yoga
Want to bet they're not talking about putting your back out?

106 videos of pure crackpottery.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Alan C » Aug 19, 2019 9:40 am

This isn't the same Jay that sent emails to the dinosaur corporation is it?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Fenrir » Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am

How about "HaHaHaHaHa, piss off."

Probly more than he deserves.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Theos » Aug 19, 2019 12:57 pm

The first principles of ontology per the imperatives of logic manifestly evince that God must be. Only the abandonment of rationality imagines that it makes sense to conclude that existence can arise from nonexistence, that an infinite regress of causative events is possible, that actual infinities are possible or that the effect of a mechanical cause is not given from eternity.
Theos

Name: Jardo Caetano

Print view this post

#14  Postby theropod » Aug 20, 2019 1:07 am

Theos wrote:The first principles of ontology per the imperatives of logic manifestly evince that God must be. Only the abandonment of rationality imagines that it makes sense to conclude that existence can arise from nonexistence, that an infinite regress of causative events is possible, that actual infinities are possible or that the effect of a mechanical cause is not given from eternity.

Oh do say! If this god is real you will then have no problem at all supplying some empirical evidence in support thereof. Thinking your god into existence doesn’t make him/her/it one iota more real, and those of us that only care about observational reality dismiss your philosophy outright. Riddle me this: Do virtual particles arise from preexisting material? Careful with your response.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Hermit » Aug 20, 2019 2:14 am

Theos wrote:The first principles of ontology per the imperatives of logic manifestly evince that God must be. Only the abandonment of rationality imagines that it makes sense to conclude that existence can arise from nonexistence, that an infinite regress of causative events is possible, that actual infinities are possible or that the effect of a mechanical cause is not given from eternity.

Asserting the existence of an uncaused cause is nothing but an arbitrary decision to put a stop to infinite regress, and it does absolutely nothing to aid our knowledge about the universe we live in. I am perfectly at ease in saying I don't know how or why the universe began to exist (and that is already based on the assumption that it did not always exist). It's no different to claiming that it was created by a god we don't understand for reasons we cannot fathom except for cutting out a component that adds nothing to our understanding.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 20, 2019 4:44 am

Theos wrote:The first principles of ontology per the imperatives of logic manifestly evince that God must be.

Me likes a good declarative sentence, bristling with confident assertions, skipping over any self-awareness.

Theos wrote: Only the abandonment of rationality imagines that it makes sense to conclude that existence can arise from nonexistence,...

Right, because all properties in the universe must be eternal, amirite?

Theos wrote:... that an infinite regress of causative events is possible,...

As opposed to the perfectly rational terminal point of causation where the eternal god wiggled his ineffable nose and magicked everything else into existence.

Theos wrote: that actual infinities are possible...

Perfectly possible as you can see for yourself.

Theos wrote: or that the effect of a mechanical cause is not given from eternity.

Word salad.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 20, 2019 6:52 am

Theos wrote:The first principles of ontology per the imperatives of logic manifestly evince that God must be.

That's an assertion which you need to demonstrate to be the case.

Theos wrote: Only the abandonment of rationality imagines that it makes sense to conclude that existence can arise from nonexistence,

Irrelevant.
The opposite of god is no god, not existence from nothing.

Theos wrote:that an infinite regress of causative events is possible,

Another assertion you fail to demonstrate.

Theos wrote: that actual infinities are possible or that the effect of a mechanical cause is not given from eternity.

And yet more unsubstantiated assertions. :roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Animavore » Aug 20, 2019 7:02 am

Theos wrote:Only the abandonment of rationality imagines that it makes sense to conclude that existence can arise from nonexistence

But this is what the Bible requires you to believe; that God created the universe from nothing, fashioned out of no prior materials. Existence from non-existence. Like a table built, not from wood and other already existing materials, but from thin air.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Blackadder » Aug 20, 2019 7:20 am

Only someone who has shit for brains could take Hovind seriously. He’s an ignoramus with less understanding of the scientific method than the average 9 year old child. And he’s a proven liar.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 20, 2019 8:14 am

The first principles of ontology per the imperatives of logic manifestly evince that unicorns must be.

The first principles of ontology per the imperatives of logic manifestly evince that cosmos-laying chickens must be.

The first principles of ontology per the imperatives of logic manifestly evince that Ooug-boog-bugaloo the Beholder must be.

S'great innit? Asserting that the philosophical question of what it means to exist means that whatever I say exists must exist. If this really were how ontology operated, it would be as useful as theology, chocolate teapots, inflatable dartboards, and all the other things in the Perhaps This Wasn't As Cunning An Idea As We'd First Imagined category.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism