Spin-off from "Dialog on 'Creationists read this' "

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How atheist ideology messed up the human origin story

#2541  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 01, 2018 11:33 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
According to Wikipedia, atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities. From the same source, an ideology is a collection of normative beliefs and values that an individual or group holds for other than purely epistemic reasons

Correct.
A 'non-belief', by definition, cannot be part of a collection of 'normative beliefs'.

It isn't working, Jayjay...

Well to be fair Alan, if it were working, would you recognise that?

Yes, because your arguments would actually be sound and not fallacious, baseless and full of straw. :roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2542  Postby zoon » Dec 01, 2018 3:46 pm

Jayjay4547 wrote:..
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:And humans aren't the only ones with hands.

True again. Come to think of it the great apes have four hands.

Humans are apes.

I said “great apes”. According to Wikipedia disambiguation, Pongidae, or "great apes", [is] a taxon including the gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans, but not humans.

According to the Wikipedia entry on Pongidae here, Pongidae is an obsolete taxon:
Wikipedia wrote:Pongidae, or the Pongids, is an obsolete primate taxon containing the gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans. They are sometimes called "great apes".[1] Pongidae is now known to be paraphyletic. Pongids gave rise to Hominina around seven mya.[2] The corresponding crown group for this taxon is Hominidae. Pongidae has seven extant member species. This taxon is rarely used today but is of historical significance.

In modern classification of animals, the taxons are clades, each clade consisting of a common ancestor and all its descendants:
Wikipedia wrote:A clade (from Ancient Greek: κλάδος, klados, "branch"), also known as monophyletic group, is a group of organisms that consists of a common ancestor and all its lineal descendants, and represents a single "branch" on the "tree of life".[1]

The common ancestor may be an individual, a population, a species (extinct or extant), and so on right up to a kingdom and further. Clades are nested, one in another, as each branch in turn splits into smaller branches. These splits reflect evolutionary history as populations diverged and evolved independently. Clades are termed monophyletic (Greek: "one clan") groups.

Since "Pongidae" includes, as you say, "gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans, but not humans" it is not a clade, because the common ancestor of gorillas, chimpanzees and orangutans was also the ancestor of humans, and the clade with that common ancestor has to include humans.

The modern taxon which includes gorillas, chimpanzees and orangutans is the Hominidae, which also includes humans. As Wikipedia points out, the term "great ape" doesn't have a precise scientific definition, and may be used in different ways:
Wikipedia wrote:The Hominidae (/hɒˈmɪnɪdiː/), whose members are known as great apes[note 1] or hominids, are a taxonomic family of primates that includes eight extant species in four genera: Pongo, the Bornean, Sumatran and Tapanuli orangutan; Gorilla, the eastern and western gorilla; Pan, the common chimpanzee and the bonobo; and Homo, which includes modern humans and its extinct relatives (e.g., the Neanderthal), and ancestors, such as Homo erectus.[1]
note 1: "Great ape" is a common name rather than a taxonomic label, and there are differences in usage, even by the same author. The term may or may not include humans, as when Dawkins writes "Long before people thought in terms of evolution ... great apes were often confused with humans"[2] and "gibbons are faithfully monogamous, unlike the great apes which are our closer relatives."[3]
zoon

Print view this post

#2543  Postby Fenrir » Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm

JayJay wrote:I said “great apes”. According to Wikipedia disambiguation, Pongidae, or "great apes", [is] a taxon including the gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans, but not humans.

Linnaeus wrote:I demand of you, and of the whole world, that you show me a generic character—one that is according to generally accepted principles of classification, by which to distinguish between Man and Ape. I myself most assuredly know of none. ...But, if I had called man an ape, or vice versa, I should have fallen under the ban of all the ecclesiastics. It may be that as a naturalist I ought to have done so.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#2544  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 01, 2018 10:22 pm

I dropped that in his lap three years or more ago, way back here. He'll ignore your doing so now, just as he ignored my doing so then.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2545  Postby Jayjay4547 » Dec 03, 2018 5:00 am

Calilasseia wrote:I dropped that in his lap three years or more ago, way back here. He'll ignore your doing so now, just as he ignored my doing so then.

That post Calilasseia linked to was so bizarrely aimed at someone espousing an utterly different position to my own that it left me completely dispirited. My criticism has always been basically secular; that stories told in the name of evolution and particularly the human origin narrative, have been influenced by social contention. Originally, I argued that the mere persistence of the creationist-evolutionist debate had influenced the established human origin story. - a Fichtean dialectic. I narrowed that down in the current topic, to an influence by atheist ideology.

My own immersion in this social issue influenced and hardened my own position; being sworn at for years turned me back to the Christianity of my youth (I am an Anglican) and to identifying myself as a creationist. I am on the side of anyone who thinks that we were created by something greater than ourselves. Whether they call that agent a biome or nature or continent or JHWH and whatever time scale they use. But my own position has been consistently and clearly rationalist and without invoking denialism.

The truly extreme level of straw man behaviour on this board is exemplified by the popular topic on Mike Spence; the American VP hasn't even come here (has he?) but ratskep posters still endlessly delight in throwing dirt at his effigy.
Jayjay4547

Name: Jonathan
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2546  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 03, 2018 5:17 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:I dropped that in his lap three years or more ago, way back here. He'll ignore your doing so now, just as he ignored my doing so then.

That post Calilasseia linked to was so bizarrely aimed at someone espousing an utterly different position to my own that it left me completely dispirited. My criticism has always been basically secular; that stories told in the name of evolution and particularly the human origin narrative, have been influenced by social contention. Originally, I argued that the mere persistence of the creationist-evolutionist debate had influenced the established human origin story. - a Fichtean dialectic. I narrowed that down in the current topic, to an influence by atheist ideology. I lack respect for the people who promote 'agency' because it's only a belief they demand that I respect.

My own immersion in this social issue influenced and hardened my own position; being sworn at for years turned me back to the Christianity of my youth (I am an Anglican) and to identifying myself as a creationist. I am on the side of anyone who thinks that we were created by something greater than ourselves. Whether they call that agent a biome or nature or continent or JHWH and whatever time scale they use. But my own position has been consistently and clearly rationalist and without invoking denialism.

The truly extreme level of straw man behaviour on this board is exemplified by the popular topic on Mike Spence; the American VP hasn't even come here (has he?) but ratskep posters still endlessly delight in throwing dirt at his effigy.

That's not all you're saying. You're promoting this alternative 'story' of 'creation by agency' to promote a sense of gratitude or reverence to whatever agency is specified, by you or whoever's side you're on. To use another word, worship. But why? You won't even get to the punch line until after your audience takes on board the symbolic notion of agency. Why don't you say a few words about that, too? You're essentially preaching the granting of unearned respect for nothing more than a fucking belief. You see clearly there is a conflict, but the denial is all on your side, denial of the basis of the conflict.

By the way, the man's name is Pence. Don't ever let any facts get in your way, JJ. Reverence, JJ. Somebody's tossing dirt at reverence because respect has not been earned. What a reverence it is, though, that will not let facts get in its way. Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion, but I don't think Pence quite agrees, and what he's after is back-dooring religion the same way you do. I can't force myself to look at the world in terms of this external agency, but perhaps you'd be happy if I just mouthed the reverent words, no matter what I actually believed. Perhaps you'd simply be happy if people stopped telling you the belief in agency hadn't earned any respect, yet.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2547  Postby Fenrir » Dec 03, 2018 5:39 am

Seeing as you adroitly managed to completely avoid addressing the point let us revisit. Very slowly.

You (JayJay), in support of your invented conspiracy, posted this:

JayJay wrote:I said “great apes”. According to Wikipedia disambiguation, Pongidae, or "great apes", [is] a taxon including the gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans, but not humans.

Apparently in support of the contention that humans and apes are intrinsically different by hypocricitally usurping science where you thought you had a gotcha.

I then posted the following quote, and as Cali mentioned, the same quote has been provided to you a number of times in the past:

Linnaeus wrote:I demand of you, and of the whole world, that you show me a generic character—one that is according to generally accepted principles of classification, by which to distinguish between Man and Ape. I myself most assuredly know of none. ...But, if I had called man an ape, or vice versa, I should have fallen under the ban of all the ecclesiastics. It may be that as a naturalist I ought to have done so.

What the Linnaeus quote shows is that, far from an athiest conspiracy, the dialogue over origins has been historically constrained by theological interests, to the point where researchers felt unable to report their results accurately for fear of the consequences.

Do you have the honesty to acknowledge this simple fact?
Fenrir

Male

Print view this post

#2548  Postby Fenrir » Dec 03, 2018 5:41 am

Eppur si muove JayJay.

Eppur si muove.
Fenrir

Male

Print view this post

#2549  Postby Jayjay4547 » Dec 03, 2018 5:50 am

zoon wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:..
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:

True again. Come to think of it the great apes have four hands.

Humans are apes.

I said “great apes”. According to Wikipedia disambiguation, Pongidae, or "great apes", [is] a taxon including the gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans, but not humans.

According to the Wikipedia entry on Pongidae here, Pongidae is an obsolete taxon:
Wikipedia wrote:Pongidae, or the Pongids, is an obsolete primate taxon containing the gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans. They are sometimes called "great apes".[1] Pongidae is now known to be paraphyletic. Pongids gave rise to Hominina around seven mya.[2] The corresponding crown group for this taxon is Hominidae. Pongidae has seven extant member species. This taxon is rarely used today but is of historical significance.

In modern classification of animals, the taxons are clades, each clade consisting of a common ancestor and all its descendants:
Wikipedia wrote:A clade (from Ancient Greek: κλάδος, klados, "branch"), also known as monophyletic group, is a group of organisms that consists of a common ancestor and all its lineal descendants, and represents a single "branch" on the "tree of life".[1]

The common ancestor may be an individual, a population, a species (extinct or extant), and so on right up to a kingdom and further. Clades are nested, one in another, as each branch in turn splits into smaller branches. These splits reflect evolutionary history as populations diverged and evolved independently. Clades are termed monophyletic (Greek: "one clan") groups.

Since "Pongidae" includes, as you say, "gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans, but not humans" it is not a clade, because the common ancestor of gorillas, chimpanzees and orangutans was also the ancestor of humans, and the clade with that common ancestor has to include humans.

The modern taxon which includes gorillas, chimpanzees and orangutans is the Hominidae, which also includes humans. As Wikipedia points out, the term "great ape" doesn't have a precise scientific definition, and may be used in different ways:….

Thanks for that. By using the obsolete term “great apes” I intentionally sidestepped the ideologically involved issue of whether humans “are apes” as Thomas had asserted. Diamond used the term “great apes” in the quote being discussed, that probably came from his book “The Third Chimpanzee”. Seeing that chimps are one of the great apes, Professor Diamond was strictly speaking being inconsistent: how can our ancestors have diverged from the great apes if we are (merely) one them? But actually he was just using language fluidly: the book title was a hook to attract readers like Thomas Eshuis while his use the obsolete term “great apes” was to make a necessary distinction between humans and those dumb, bitey, hairy brachiating guys and dolls.
Jayjay4547

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2550  Postby Jayjay4547 » Dec 03, 2018 7:07 am

Fenrir wrote:Eppur si muove JayJay.

Eppur si muove.

The only denials on this thread are that there is such a thing as an atheist ideology. There has been a turnaround since the days of Copernicus and of Linnaeus. Now the dominant zeitgeist in the West is atheism. Science and its spirit of toleration for open inquiry have put some brake on vicious bullying bigotry. But on this board, not much. I'm not complaining, mind; I come here voluntarily and with my eyes open. Because in the background, these things end up cutting both ways.
Jayjay4547

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2551  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 03, 2018 7:11 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:

Eppur si muove.

The only denials on this thread are that there is such a thing as an atheist ideology. There has been a turnaround since the days of Copernicus and of Linnaeus. Now the dominant zeitgeist in the West is atheism. Science and its spirit of toleration for open inquiry have put some brake on vicious bullying bigotry. But on this board, not much. I'm not complaining, mind; I come here voluntarily and with my eyes open. Because in the background, these things end up cutting both ways.

You'd like to think so, anyway. You call it 'atheist ideology', and I call it intolerance of vapid assertions, such as those you make about 'agency'. It's fine to speak in terms of metaphor, if you admit that's what you're doing and state your aims. If all you're seeking to do is restore grimly-borne lip service to vapid assertions, please carry on splendidly. Intolerance of vapid assertions is not bigotry, however much you drama-queen the poor reception your vapid assertions (including those concerning "atheist ideology") are receiving.

I see that you're having trouble accepting the reality of the situation, and that because of that, you're translating that as there being something wrong with somebody else. I don't get how the flaws you think you detect in others help to elevate you in any way, but that's the way a lot of folks operate. You're making an obvious mistake from my perspective, which is failing to accept the reality of the situation, which is only that your vapid assertions aren't getting the respect you demand. Try to buck up, sweetheart.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2552  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 03, 2018 7:39 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:

That post Calilasseia linked to was so bizarrely aimed at someone espousing an utterly different position to my own that it left me completely dispirited.

Hey, whatever helps you dodge the point being made, right? :nono:

Jayjay4547 wrote: My criticism has always been basically secular; that stories told in the name of evolution and particularly the human origin narrative, have been influenced by social contention.

For which you consistently fail to present evidence and which you insist on linking to atheism even though you've been repeatedly corrected on that, including by your own source.

Jayjay4547 wrote: Originally, I argued that the mere persistence of the creationist-evolutionist debate had influenced the established human origin story. - a Fichtean dialectic. I narrowed that down in the current topic, to an influence by atheist ideology.

An ideology which cannot and does not exist according to your own source and as has been explained to you multiple times.

Jayjay4547 wrote:

And the earth is flat and the moon made of cheese, right? :roll:

Jayjay4547 wrote:

Thank you for demonstrating you don't know what a straw-man is. :thumbup:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2553  Postby Fenrir » Dec 03, 2018 7:40 am

I really didn't expect honesty.

Still, giving them every chance is the decent thing to do (atheistic even).
Fenrir

Male

Print view this post

#2554  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 03, 2018 7:42 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Thanks for that. By using the obsolete term “great apes” I intentionally sidestepped the ideologically involved issue of whether humans “are apes” as Thomas had asserted.

Stop bullshitting Jayjay.
Humans are apes. That's not just something I assert, it's a demonstrable fact and has fuck all to do with ideology.
Denying that fact, on the other hand, has everything to do with choosing ideology over reason.

Jayjay4547 wrote: Diamond used the term “great apes” in the quote being discussed, that probably came from his book “The Third Chimpanzee”. Seeing that chimps are one of the great apes, Professor Diamond was strictly speaking being inconsistent: how can our ancestors have diverged from the great apes if we are (merely) one them? But actually he was just using language fluidly: the book title was a hook to attract readers like Thomas Eshuis

Stop making shit up Jayjay.
It is you who is denying basic facts of evolution. Stop trying to project it onto me.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2555  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 03, 2018 7:42 am

Fenrir wrote:I really didn't expect honesty.

Still, giving them every chance is the decent thing to do (atheistic even).

Jayjay asserted that he did not address my past posts because I pointed out that his were full of lies.
I gave him a second chance, but he just kept on lying. So I'm not going to indulge him in another chance.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2556  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 03, 2018 7:46 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:

Eppur si muove.

The only denials on this thread are that there is such a thing as an atheist ideology.

Your own fucking source denies it Jayjay.
It's been explained multiple times to you, in multiple ways, that the absence of a belief is not a belief and therefore cannot be an ideology as that is a set of beliefs.
You can keep ignoring that as much as you want, it will only serve to demonstrate ideological bigotry on your part.

Jayjay4547 wrote: There has been a turnaround since the days of Copernicus and of Linnaeus. Now the dominant zeitgeist in the West is atheism.

Except that it isn't. Stop treating your rectum as a source of information Jayjay.

Jayjay4547 wrote: Science and its spirit of toleration for open inquiry have put some brake on vicious bullying bigotry.

And yet you persist in exactly that with every post you make in this thread.
Look at the plank in your own eye Jayjay.

Jayjay4547 wrote:
But on this board, not much. I'm not complaining, mind; I come here voluntarily and with my eyes open. Because in the background, these things end up cutting both ways.

Given your demonstrated propensity to make shit up and to stick to said bullshit despite refutations, I cannot take your assessment of this forum (or much else for that matter) seriously.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2557  Postby Jayjay4547 » Dec 05, 2018 6:38 am

Fenrir wrote:Seeing as you adroitly managed to completely avoid addressing the point let us revisit. Very slowly.

You (JayJay), in support of your invented conspiracy, posted this:

If I imagined or invented a conspiracy then surely somewhere in the 128 pages of this topic I would have used the word “conspiracy”. But you will only find that word (and copiously) in the text of ratskep posters . No; I am claiming that you are willing slaves to an ideology; you actually can’t help yourselves from thinking and talking in accordance with its interest. Although you could free yourselves from that bondage even just a little bit, by considering the possibility that an atheist ideology might exist and have influenced how the flagship theory of atheism has been presented. That’s really not asking for much; historians happily use the term “historicity” which deals with that kind of issue, and without individual historians abandoning their political or spiritual beliefs.

Fenrir wrote:

Apparently in support of the contention that humans and apes are intrinsically different by hypocricitally usurping science where you thought you had a gotcha.

If you look over the posts on the quote from Jared Diamond, you will see that my point was never to assert that humans and apes are intrinsically different. It was to make the point that Diamond’s characterisation of how we are different*, was unreasonable and that could be explained as the influence of ideology.

Fenrir wrote:I then posted the following quote, and as Cali mentioned, the same quote has been provided to you a number of times in the past:

What the Linnaeus quote shows is that, far from an athiest conspiracy, the dialogue over origins has been historically constrained by theological interests, to the point where researchers felt unable to report their results accurately for fear of the consequences.

Do you have the honesty to acknowledge this simple fact?

Like I already said in a response to Cito, there has been a turnaround since the days of Linnaeus. So that today, those who have internalised the theory of evolution, tend to be slaves of an atheist ideology. Partly, because of the way the human origin narrative has been told using the theory of evolution.

* What Diamond was quoted as saying: “As a species, we are “bizarre in our nearly continuous practice of sex,”[…] Along with posture and brain size, sexuality completes the trinity of the decisive aspects in which the ancestors of humans and great apes diverged.”

What I said on the 3rd December was “his [Diamond’s] use the obsolete term “great apes” was to make a necessary distinction between humans and those dumb, bitey, hairy brachiating guys and dolls.

See, I wasn’t making out that humans and apes aren’t related. I claim that how we are different from the great apes, is most practically described in other terms than Diamond's. Suppose you were walking down a street and you saw an adult chimp come lolloping down towards you on feet and knuckles. Speaking for myself, my mind would either freeze or go into overdrive. How the hell did this thing ESCAPE? Because I know that, cousins as we are, adult chimps are kept in cages. Then, I would try to get out of its way, for fear of getting my face bitten off. I wouldn’t even think of talking to it as I might try talking to a gunman. And if the ape got up into a tree I'd be relieved but I’d think, there is no way it could be got down again.
Jayjay4547

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2558  Postby Fallible » Dec 05, 2018 8:26 am

:picard:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2559  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 05, 2018 10:36 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:I claim that how we are different from the great apes, is most practically described in other terms than Diamond's.

Of course you do. That's your theist ideology, talking, and hence, the whole reason you've invented its counterpart in atheist ideology to match up with it; otherwise, you're stuck permanently holding the short end of a stick that no one else is attached to, madly beating the air with it.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2560  Postby TopCat » Dec 05, 2018 11:18 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:I claim that how we are different from the great apes, is most practically described in other terms than Diamond's.

Of course you do. That's your theist ideology, talking, and hence, the whole reason you've invented its counterpart in atheist ideology to match up with it; otherwise, you're stuck permanently holding the short end of a stick that no one else is attached to, madly beating the air with it.

Indeed, and the irony is that theist ideology is intended, supposedly, by its adherents at least, to be about truth.

But of course if JayJay was concerned about truth he'd be looking honestly at the evidence for evolution, perhaps even starting by getting some education, rather than obfuscating by erecting this extraordinary smokescreen about ideologies at all.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism