It's Fucking Alabama, What Do You Expect?

Creationists Trying To Pervert Education Again

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: It's Fucking Alabama, What Do You Expect?

#21  Postby laklak » Aug 21, 2018 2:06 am

How Darwin thought life originated has no bearing on evolutionary theory, not even on his original theory of natural selection. Abiogenesis =/= evolution.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby felltoearth » Aug 21, 2018 12:07 pm

laklak wrote:How Darwin thought life originated has no bearing on evolutionary theory, not even on his original theory of natural selection. Abiogenesis =/= evolution.

Yep, there’s that too. Strike two on that post.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby theropod » Aug 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Wortfish wrote:
theropod wrote:
Wortfish wrote:It's funny. I read a book on Human Evolution by palaeontoogist, Bernard Wood, and, guess what, at the beginning it talks about creationism and the account in Genesis of Adam's creation from slime. Darwin also claims in The Origin of Species, that the Creator breathed life into the first living organism(s). Creationism and Evolutionism are just two sides of the same coin.

Just can’t get past the argument from authority can you? In case you haven’t noticed evolutionary biologists have made some new discoveries since Mr. Darwin published his work, and in the course of this investigative work not one shred of evidence has been found which overturns the base premise that evolution is an absolute fact. Creationism is a campfire tale told by idiots to other idiots that wouldn’t know an empirical data point if it bent them over a log and ass fucked them for a week solid.

RS

You miss the point. entirely which is that the theory of evolution has roots in creationism. Darwin himself was a creationist at one point and used creationist imagery like the "tree of life" and so on.

No, you missed the point, and purposely. The intellectual dishonesty at work in your post is palpable. It doesn’t matter one iota what Darwin was, did or said. You are still attempting to use an argument from authority, but can’t seem to own it. All you are doing is following the play book a million other apologist have followed. It’s not original. It’s not useful. It’s not representative of the basic tenets of Christianity, or of any other faith based on the “Great Golden Book of Myths”.

When the first serious students of geology set out to prove the earth experienced a global flood, because they were all creationists desperate to “prove” the biblical myth was factual, they found the opposite. Whether they abandoned their blind faith, or not, has no bearing on their findings. Neither does the position of Darwin have any bearing whatsoever on the fact that there is no empirical support for special creation. He could have preached creationism at the Vatican, and used terms word for word from the great book of fairy tales, and it would have no bearing on the facts. Wrap your head around this, and stop playing these silly games.

If you only knew how many other faith holders we here have seen employ these pathetic tactics you would change your course. Of course this would require you to have a modicum of open mindedness to the possibility of being an adherent to a grand set of lies designed precisely to control your thinking.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Wortfish » Aug 21, 2018 4:05 pm

theropod wrote:
If you only knew how many other faith holders we here have seen employ these pathetic tactics you would change your course. Of course this would require you to have a modicum of open mindedness to the possibility of being an adherent to a grand set of lies designed precisely to control your thinking.RS

Tell me what is so wrong about exploring creationism and ID, critically, within the classroom? You can talk all you like about "faith" and "apologetics" but, even if they are religiously-based, so are many things that exist in secular society.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Wortfish » Aug 21, 2018 4:07 pm

laklak wrote:How Darwin thought life originated has no bearing on evolutionary theory, not even on his original theory of natural selection. Abiogenesis =/= evolution.

Not the point. If you allow for some divine intervention at one instance, then this opens up intervention more broadly. What stopped God from intervening in the Cambrian to create all those metazoan phyla from some sort of worm-like organisms?
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Animavore » Aug 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Right. Darwin was a creationist before he was a Darwinian.

And Einstein was a Newtonian before we was an Einsteinian.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Animavore » Aug 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Wortfish wrote:

Not the point. If you allow for some divine intervention at one instance, then this opens up intervention more broadly. What stopped God from intervening in the Cambrian to create all those metazoan phyla from some sort of worm-like organisms?

What stopped aliens from intervening in Ancient Eygpt to create all of those pyramids from rocks?

:ask:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2018 4:28 pm

nvm.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Wortfish wrote:It's funny. I read a book on Human Evolution by palaeontoogist, Bernard Wood, and, guess what, at the beginning it talks about creationism and the account in Genesis of Adam's creation from slime. Darwin also claims in The Origin of Species, that the Creator breathed life into the first living organism(s). Creationism and Evolutionism are just two sides of the same coin.

More sub-par trolling from our bridge-dwelling member.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#30  Postby laklak » Aug 21, 2018 4:32 pm

I'm not saying it was awiens, but
Attachments
awiens.jpg
awiens.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Wortfish wrote:
theropod wrote:
If you only knew how many other faith holders we here have seen employ these pathetic tactics you would change your course. Of course this would require you to have a modicum of open mindedness to the possibility of being an adherent to a grand set of lies designed precisely to control your thinking.RS

Tell me what is so wrong about exploring creationism and ID, critically, within the classroom? You can talk all you like about "faith" and "apologetics" but, even if they are religiously-based, so are many things that exist in secular society.

A reminder for you:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Wortfish » Aug 21, 2018 4:40 pm

felltoearth wrote:

I find this deeply amusing because Richard Dawkins has quite often claimed that "Darwinism explains life". In this video he claims Darwin blew away theistic notions about a creator of life (7:50): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBDUPAgy5zk&t=6s
But without an origin to life, there can be no diversity of life.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Fallible » Aug 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Wortfish wrote:
theropod wrote:

Such as..?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Wortfish wrote:
theropod wrote:

Tell me what is so wrong about exploring creationism and ID, critically, within the classroom?

Because there isn't a single shred of evidence for either of them. There's nothing to teach.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby laklak » Aug 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Wortfish wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

I find this deeply amusing because Richard Dawkins has quite often claimed that "Darwinism explains life". In this video he claims Darwin blew away theistic notions about a creator of life (7:50): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBDUPAgy5zk&t=6s

So? Why do so many theists think Dawkins speaks for every evolutionary biologist and every atheist? Is is because they're so used to allowing somebody else (or some moldy old book) to do their thinking for them? "Explains life" is NOT the same thing as "explains the origin of life". Dawkins has never, ever, not one time, granted any credence to creationism, and any attempt to cherry pick or misconstrue his words is blatant bullshit. On a similar note, why do theists insist that once Darwin wrote On the Origin of Species evolutionary theory was chiseled in stone? Are you incapable of understanding that he published it 159 years ago and that we've moved on since then?

What next? Trot out that old "Darwin converted on his deathbed" chestnut?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Wortfish wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Do you know the reason there have been no noticeable subsequent incidences of abiogenesis wortfish? I worked it out for myself; thought I might possibly have been groundbreakingly clever in doing so because I'd never heard that explanation before, then read Charlie D had got there already. No googling allowed, just a fun little quiz oh warty one...
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#37  Postby Blackadder » Aug 21, 2018 5:35 pm

I think that many of those in the grip of the mind virus of Christianity assume that Darwin was a bit like Moses, handing down the Commandments of Evolution on stone tablets; and that the recipients of said commandments thereafter and forevermore gave up using their brains to critically evaluate Darwin's theory.

A classic case of self-projection, in fact.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby felltoearth » Aug 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Wortfish wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Amused by strike three?

Where does Dawkins say that the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection involves how life started on earth?

Oh, that’s right, he didn’t.

You’re out.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Wortfish wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

I find this deeply amusing

Laughing at your own idiocy won't make it any less foolish Wortfish.

Wortfish wrote: because Richard Dawkins has quite often claimed that "Darwinism explains life".

And as has been pointed out to you countless times neither atheism nor evolution has a pope or other central authority figure.
It matters fuck all what Dawkins says. What matter is what he, or anyone else who makes a claim, can support with evidence.
And for over 5000 years of recorded history theists of every and any cult have failed to present any evidence for their theological claims.

Wortfish wrote:But without an origin to life, there can be no diversity of life.

Without knowing how primordial planlife looked like you cannot know how an apple tree works. :roll:
Are you even attempting to up your trolling? :roll:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2018 6:17 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
theropod wrote:

Tell me what is so wrong about exploring creationism and ID, critically, within the classroom?

Because there isn't a single shred of evidence for either of them. There's nothing to teach.

Just a tiny correction. There is no either. ID = creationism.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism