Ken Ham's "Ark Park" project on verge of collapse

It's all the fault of those darned atheists!

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Ken Ham's "Ark Park" project on verge of collapse

#1  Postby Shrunk » Jan 10, 2014 4:59 pm

http://fatlip.leoweekly.com/2014/01/06/ ... l-himself/

Bloomberg reported on Friday that creationist ministry Answers in Genesis must sell $29 million in unrated junk bonds by Feb. 6, or else their entire bond structure will collapse for the construction of Ark Encounter — the proposed evangelical tourist attraction in Grant County that will feature a giant boat telling the story of how a 600-year old man rounded up dinosaurs and fire-breathing dragons onto Noah’s Ark a few thousand years ago.

The Bloomberg story cites an email from AiG’s overlord Ken Ham to potential investors, warning that the clock is ticking and asking “Will you please step out in faith with us?” Considering these unrated junk bonds are similar to lottery tickets, I’d say that “faith” is certainly at play here.

The story then quotes an email Ham sent out as a final plea for funds:

Please be aware that the associated complications and struggles have been beyond our control. The battles were another reminder of the truth of Ephesians 6:12: “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.”

As you have read in some of my prior emails, many challenges and road blocks came up as we worked through the stages of the bond offering and the first closing. From atheists attempting to register for the bond offering and disrupting it, to secular bloggers and reporters writing very misleading and inaccurate articles about the bonds, to brokerage firms saying “yes” but after reading these incorrect reports saying “no” in allowing the Ark bonds into their client accounts—the obstacles were numerous and disruptive. Frankly, it has been an extremely stressful and frustrating time for all of us.

:waah:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Ken Ham's "Ark Park" project on verge of collapse

#2  Postby theropod » Jan 10, 2014 5:01 pm

One would think gawd would shower a few pennies from heaven.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Onyx8 » Jan 10, 2014 5:20 pm

What, Ken doesn't have $29m to throw at his own gig? Oh man of little faith.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 10, 2014 5:23 pm

I don't understand - is the Ark Park part of the Creation Museum? Is the Creation Museum not doing terrible well? I was sure it was. If it's bringing in money, I don't understand how they can't finance the Ark Park. $29m is a lot of cheddar for certain but a for-profit tourist attraction with thousands of adoring local fans and loons from all over the world making pilgrimages to it can make that pretty quick.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CADman2300 » Jan 10, 2014 5:28 pm

:crazy: Sorry Hammy but your precious Yahweh isn't going to drop down from the heavens and shower you with money, no matter how you delude yourself with the ironic notion that secularists are lying about you.
CADman2300

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby CADman2300 » Jan 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I don't understand - is the Ark Park part of the Creation Museum? Is the Creation Museum not doing terrible well? I was sure it was. If it's bringing in money, I don't understand how they can't finance the Ark Park. $29m is a lot of cheddar for certain but a for-profit tourist attraction with thousands of adoring local fans and loons from all over the world making pilgrimages to it can make that pretty quick.

Attendance at his "museum" has been at an all-time low these last few years, so to shell out 29 million at this point would set him back for years with little or no hope for financial recovery. Remember that to a guy like Ham, religion is all about business and profits, not about morality and prophets. Don't forget that he did try to get the Kentucky state to pay for some of this project through tax rebates back when the cost was at a much-higher 172 million.
CADman2300

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Jan 10, 2014 5:45 pm

The museum has been in financial straits for a couple of years now, but apparently they've sold out the "debate" between Hambone and Bill Nye.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Blackadder » Jan 10, 2014 6:15 pm

So the Ark project is sinking? I'll raise a glass to that.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby trubble76 » Jan 10, 2014 6:25 pm

The lord moves in mysterious ways. :lol:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Supporting Caste » Jan 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Blackadder wrote:So the Ark project is sinking?

:lol:
Supporting Caste

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby lyingcheat » Jan 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Shrunk wrote;
The story then quotes an email Ham sent out as a final plea for funds...

Oh Ham of little faith... wasting time sending out emails.

He should just pray for investors to march up two by two
> Insert Witty Signature Phrase Here <
lyingcheat

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby aban57 » Jan 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Where did Noah find $29M to build his ark ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby theropod » Jan 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Enron stock?

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Onyx8 » Jan 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Floated some stock?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby james1v » Jan 10, 2014 9:58 pm

I wonder if hes got a few million stashed "resting" in an account somewhere. I dont think this guy will ever be poor.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby CADman2300 » Jan 18, 2014 11:06 pm

According to this article: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... _park.html
Ham tried to get the financial ball rolling by selling high-risk bonds to investors. Only problem is that they're written so that the investors can never get their money back if they decide to pull out, and if the theme park crashes and burns they lose their entire investment. That's why they're called junk bonds.

Under Obamacare, Ark Encounter would have been required to cover Plan-B contraceptives for its employees, and since this is a fundie organization we're dealing with, it comes as no surprise that they were against that.
CADman2300

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Alan C » Jan 19, 2014 2:45 am

Oh Canned Ham, I'm strangely unsympathetic.

:popcorn:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jan 19, 2014 2:55 am

james1v wrote:I wonder if hes got a few million stashed "resting" in an account somewhere. I dont think this guy will ever be poor.

In terms of intellect and honesty, he is one of the poorest people alive.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#19  Postby Shrunk » Jan 19, 2014 1:25 pm

CADman2300 wrote:According to this article: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... _park.html
Ham tried to get the financial ball rolling by selling high-risk bonds to investors. Only problem is that they're written so that the investors can never get their money back if they decide to pull out, and if the theme park crashes and burns they lose their entire investment. That's why they're called junk bonds.

So what happens to the investors' money when this project collapses?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Presumably, Ham and his organisation pockets the lot.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism