Kent Hovind has been indicted again

just as he was about to be released

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Kent Hovind has been indicted again

#1  Postby NamelessFaceless » Nov 10, 2014 2:13 am

Poor Kent. When will he realize Gawd hates tax cheats? He was just about to reach the end of his ten year sentence when he was indicted again for trying to keep the IRS from collecting on his last conviction.

Hovind, 61, is approaching the end of that sentence, but he is now facing a new suite of charges on allegations that he tried to stymie the government's efforts to collect on his outstanding debt.

According to an Oct. 21 federal indictment filed against Hovind and Paul John Hansen — a Nebraska man known for his vigorous opposition of government tax and property laws — the duo has been charged with mail fraud and criminal contempt for interfering with the sale of Pensacola properties Hovind was forced to forfeit as a result of the 2006 case.

Here's a link to the full article, but I would avoid reading the comments unless you just need fodder for the 'What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?' thread.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2014/11/0 ... /18730293/
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Kent Hovind has been indicted again

#2  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 10, 2014 3:16 am

Ah well, couldn't happen to a nicer lying shitbag.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Weaver » Nov 10, 2014 5:03 am

Here's a better article - and I recommend reading the comments, as they really bring light to why the government is after Hovind this time.

EDIT - Ah, crap, forgot the link. Thanks, Spearthrower.

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2014/10/kent-hovind-in.html
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

'Dr. Dino' facing new legal woes

#4  Postby DoctorE » Nov 10, 2014 8:38 am

A Pensacola evangelist known as Doctor Dino has long maintained that all of his ministry's finances and property belong not to him, but to God, and that the Almighty's belongings are not subject to humanity's tax laws.

Naturally, the federal government disagrees with the good doctor, and in 2006 Kent Hovind was sentenced to a decade in prison for failing to report some $430,000 in taxable income and employee wages.

Hovind, 61, is approaching the end of that sentence, but he is now facing a new suite of charges on allegations that he tried to stymie the government's efforts to collect on his outstanding debt.

According to an Oct. 21 federal indictment filed against Hovind and Paul John Hansen — a Nebraska man known for his vigorous opposition of government tax and property laws — the duo has been charged with mail fraud and criminal contempt for interfering with the sale of Pensacola properties Hovind was forced to forfeit as a result of the 2006 case.

Continues: http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2014/11/0 ... /18730293/
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: 'Dr. Dino' facing new legal woes

#5  Postby NineBerry » Nov 10, 2014 10:26 am

Hovind's literal reading of the bible seems to stop somewhere after Genesis and before "Give unto Cesar..."
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Strontium Dog » Nov 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby NamelessFaceless » Nov 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks for posting that. The Pensacola News Journal has a habit of putting articles behind a paywall after a few days.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 10, 2014 5:14 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Topics merged.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 10, 2014 5:44 pm

NineBerry wrote:Hovind's literal reading of the bible seems to stop somewhere after Genesis and before "Give unto Cesar..."

Well, he maintains that the money does belong to God. He's just holding onto it for him in the form of material assets of which he was personally caretaking.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ironclad » Nov 10, 2014 5:50 pm

Onyx8 wrote:Ah well, couldn't happen to a nicer lying shitbag.

:rofl: Fair play
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 10, 2014 6:00 pm

According to the indictment document, Hovind and the other character involved filed bogus legal documents, purporting to be on behalf of "trustees" of fictitious trusts, claiming that said fictitious trusts were the real owners of the properties being forfeited. Upon further investigation, it was determined that the "trusts" were bogus entities fabricated by Hovind and the other character.

It's hardly surprising that the IRS is pushing for another trial, in the light of this information. Hovind's conduct is a blatant abuse of the legal system to avoid forfeiture of the properties in question, and the settling of the outstanding tax bill. The liens and lis pendens documents were filed deliberately to make the properties unattractive to prospective purchasers once the IRS offered the properties for sale, because those documents would have the effect of making the true ownership of the properties uncertain. The documents are a deliberate stalling device, intended to render the collection of the tax debt unenforceable, which, if successful, would result in Hovind keeping the properties once a ten year statute of limitations period had elapsed following the filing of the liens.

Mindful of the deliberate nature of this tactic, the IRS filed an injunction forbidding Hovind from filing further liens and lis pendens documents for this manifestly fraudulent purpose. An injunction that he has duly ignored. As a corollary, the IRS is now pressing for further charges to be brought against Hovind and his fellow tax cheat, in order to bring his continued criminal tax evasion to a halt.

The liens were filed in an attempt to attribute ownership of the forfeited properties to the aforementioned fictitious trusts, and the lis pendens documents were filed after the liens, in order to alert prospective buyers to the presence of lawsuits (i.e., the aforementioned liens) attached to the properties, the outcome of which would have financial consequences upon any buyers. This would immediately cause buyers and lenders to give the properties a wide berth, and frustrate any attempts by the IRS to reclaim the outstanding tax debt.

In short, it's a blatant piece of criminal fiddling on Hovind's part. That he's engaged in this fiddling whilst still in prison, shows that he's completely unrepentant about his tax evasion offences, and intends to continue engaging in fraudulent financial conduct.

Don't you just love the way Magic Man attracts such people?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Nevermind, I am sure his rectum is sufficiently stretched by now to accommodate another few years of ministering to his fellow prisoners.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby JackRussell » Nov 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Nevermind, I am sure his rectum is sufficiently stretched by now to accommodate another few years of ministering to his fellow prisoners.

ST,
How dare you project your vile thoughts on the saintly Mr Kent Hovind. Do you not tremble before a scientist of his esteemed stature.

And by the way, Our Lord Jesus Christ took every one up the arse during his time of trouble.

Truly loving is Our Lord.
JackRussell

Name: Mark
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Interesting, so attempting to fight the IRS is a crime.

The indictment says that in 2011, Hansen filed liens on nine of Hovind's forfeited properties on North Palafox Street, Cummings Road and Oleander Drive.

In 2012 the government was granted an injunction ordering that neither Hovind nor any agent acting on his behalf file or attempt to file any "liens, notices, financing titles and claims of whatever nature ... to cloud the title of the properties."

The following year, both Hovind and Hansen reportedly mailed additional documents disputing the ownership of the property.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:Interesting, so attempting to fight the IRS is a crime.

The indictment says that in 2011, Hansen filed liens on nine of Hovind's forfeited properties on North Palafox Street, Cummings Road and Oleander Drive.

In 2012 the government was granted an injunction ordering that neither Hovind nor any agent acting on his behalf file or attempt to file any "liens, notices, financing titles and claims of whatever nature ... to cloud the title of the properties."

The following year, both Hovind and Hansen reportedly mailed additional documents disputing the ownership of the property.

Obstruction is ok with you, then? Because, that sort of shit isn't contesting the IRS in court, it's obstruction of legal processes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 10, 2014 10:36 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Obstruction is ok with you, then? Because, that sort of shit isn't contesting the IRS in court, it's obstruction of legal processes.

Well, that is the government claim, that Hovid used legal maneuvers to prevent the IRS from taking the property.

If is wasn't legal, then the government could just take the property.

Kinna' like the 'structuring' claim the IRS made. Doing something within the law is deemed illegal. That is just a very dangerous power to give government.

Don't misunderstand, I think he was cheating the system by not paying taxes. He absolutely should be jailed based upon what I have read.

My problem is the government, the IRS in particular, determining that someone following the law is breaking the law by following the law.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby lucek » Nov 10, 2014 10:45 pm

I love the repeating theme of "politicians are worse tax frauds then Hovind", A: taxes are available for members of governmentmentioned, B:there is a difference between proven guilty in a court of law and accused by a random person, and C:finally even if we give them this point Hovind is still a tax fraud and his sentence is justified if others should be sharing the big house with him or not. It's like saying that there are murderers who are free so you can't try a man for vehicular manslaughter.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tolman » Nov 11, 2014 2:12 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:Kinna' like the 'structuring' claim the IRS made. Doing something within the law is deemed illegal. That is just a very dangerous power to give government.

Don't misunderstand, I think he was cheating the system by not paying taxes. He absolutely should be jailed based upon what I have read.

My problem is the government, the IRS in particular, determining that someone following the law is breaking the law by following the law.

If he is responsible for spurious claims of ownership on the part of nonexistent trusts, that's not 'following the law', it's lying in official submissions to a court, for attempted personal gain.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 11, 2014 2:39 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

Well, that is the government claim, that Hovid used legal maneuvers to prevent the IRS from taking the property.

If is wasn't legal, then the government could just take the property.

Kinna' like the 'structuring' claim the IRS made. Doing something within the law is deemed illegal. That is just a very dangerous power to give government.

Now, I was viewing that from a different perspective. I can think of a sequence of actions that, in themselves, are lawful, but would certainly be obstruction of justice.

Where's Byron? He knows all about this sort of shit. Could be I'm way off on this one.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Nov 11, 2014 2:47 am

The_Metatron wrote: obstruction of justice

Has justice not been done, a hammer on the way out of a ten year sentence looks more like malice vengeance.

He still owes something like close to a million $ in fines/restitution/penalties .. arguing over the property which the government is getting one way or the other is just being an asshole.

Do we really want our justice to be an asshole?
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism