Kindly requesting assistance..

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Kindly requesting assistance..

#1  Postby PensivePenny » Jul 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Hello all... it's been a minute. Hope all are well and covid-19 free. Forgive me posting to this forum, but in my advancing years I have forgotten a term or word and I'm trying to find it by definition. Unfortunately the words I can think of are too broad to be of much help on Google or even the ratskep search.

What word, phrase or theory is used to describe an online anonymous person or maybe the act of making such ridiculous parodic religious claims as to be indistinguishable from actual religion. I don't think it's "sock puppet" but perhaps an act often performed by a sock?

I just recently moved to rural TN... OMFG!!! The degree of intellectual dishonesty far exceeds anything I could have imagined AND I'm a damn cynic! Naturally, I've been getting drawn into a number of discussions on every topic from religion, wearing surgical masks and racism. The ignorance is staggering.

Thanks!
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Kindly requesting assistance..

#2  Postby laklak » Jul 17, 2020 3:29 pm

That would be a "Poe".

Been a while, Penny, how you doing?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Jul 17, 2020 3:33 pm

Idiot :)

wb

---
edit: oh wait, parodic. Dunno.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby PensivePenny » Jul 17, 2020 3:37 pm

Yes! Poe that's it! Thanks Laklak! How are you? Did you ever move?

I'm doing fantastic. Loving TN. Have a nice liberal pocket of friends. An oasis in an intellectual dessert. LOL

;) Thanks tuco, my little friend.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Jul 17, 2020 3:39 pm

We were living half time here and half time in Swaziland, but the 'Rona put an end to that for a while. We'll go back as soon as they start flying again. Otherwise things are as good as can be expected.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby OlivierK » Jul 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi Penny, good to see you.

We're similar in our part of Australia - moved from Sydney to a rural area that votes about 65% for what passes for Republicans in Oz. Our town, however, is heavily tilted in a more progressive direction. Those from neighbouring towns call it "The People's Republic" :roll:

We've largely avoided politicisation of COVID here, though. Premiers (Governors) have worked together across party lines on the health response, and our right wing national government has had a Damascene conversion on the merits of strong safety nets and borrowing for stimulus spending. We have our idiots, to be sure, but on COVID there's something approaching unity of purpose here, and it's largely working.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 20, 2020 7:59 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the views being parodied. The original statement, by Nathan Poe, read:

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 20, 2020 3:16 pm

PensivePenny wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hello all... it's been a minute. Hope all are well and covid-19 free. Forgive me posting to this forum, but in my advancing years I have forgotten a term or word and I'm trying to find it by definition. Unfortunately the words I can think of are too broad to be of much help on Google or even the ratskep search.

What word, phrase or theory is used to describe an online anonymous person or maybe the act of making such ridiculous parodic religious claims as to be indistinguishable from actual religion. I don't think it's "sock puppet" but perhaps an act often performed by a sock?

I just recently moved to rural TN... OMFG!!! The degree of intellectual dishonesty far exceeds anything I could have imagined AND I'm a damn cynic! Naturally, I've been getting drawn into a number of discussions on every topic from religion, wearing surgical masks and racism. The ignorance is staggering.

Thanks!

Hello, Penny. Nice to see you again.

I moved to Lewis County, Washington. I believe it's similar.

It's awfully isolating.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Welcome to the south. I’m just on the other side of the big river from you, and I’ll match Ozark ignorance against any. My cardio rehab pros think zinc is what kicks hydro chloroquine into gear. Never mind world wide study of the issues. Yes, the cult is pervasive.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Jul 21, 2020 8:35 pm

I envy all you country bumpkins. Cannot wait for this corona shite to be done so we can get the fuck out of suburbia.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 21, 2020 9:37 pm

This Hobbit is very happy to be far and gone out of the Shire. Let the Dark Lord rage. Rehab is just to get the heart used to the stents and doing something extra for 3 hours a week (like living off grid isn’t a full time job, just finished hanging a new carb on my mower). Those folks can wallow in ignorance until one of theirs gets “called home”, or worse yet someone they don’t know 16 degrees of separation from them dies. Ah, the death of society. Let us morn.

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby PensivePenny » Jul 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Good to see you all (Meta, Olivier, theropod, JSD). Yeah, I'm actually kinda loving the rural life for the most part. Most people mind their own damn business. My theory is that that stems from the heritage of moonshiners where if you didn't mind your own business you just might catch a bullet between the eyes. 'Shiners are still around. There are a couple "intentional" communities around our mountain, mostly gay/lesbian/trans/organic food and hippie and that helps balance out the otherwise, god/guns/grits crowd. We purchased some land and a couple old tractors... fresh air, no highway noise and a flock of chickens for company. I should have done this 20 years ago.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » Jul 22, 2020 3:04 pm

We used to own property in Western North Carolina, GodGunsGritsLand. I never discussed religion, politics, or anything contentious with anyone. "Where you go to church?" was a common question, I would just answer "I'm not much of a church goer" and they'd leave it alone.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 22, 2020 10:58 pm

laklak wrote:We used to own property in Western North Carolina, GodGunsGritsLand. I never discussed religion, politics, or anything contentious with anyone. "Where you go to church?" was a common question, I would just answer "I'm not much of a church goer" and they'd leave it alone.

I don’t think you were hearing invites. We’ve lived on our mountain over 20 years, and locals consider us “from off”. Fine by me. Those folks asking were looking for juicy gossip, ie “You hear them newcomers from Florida go to church at Sweetwater Baptist. Can you believe it?”

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Jul 23, 2020 12:53 am

I left them alone and they left me alone. They all got along with my wife, though, I think because of her English accent. She was exotic, I was just another redneck from some where's else.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby OlivierK » Jul 23, 2020 3:32 am

PensivePenny wrote:There are a couple "intentional" communities around our mountain, mostly gay/lesbian/trans/organic food and hippie and that helps balance out the otherwise, god/guns/grits crowd. We purchased some land and a couple old tractors... fresh air, no highway noise and a flock of chickens for company. I should have done this 20 years ago.

:lol: I did this 20 years ago!

We've got plenty of intentional communities in my valley - probably about a dozen - of varying levels of gentrification/geriatrification. They run the gamut from haunts for ageing stoners, to Edens for a new generation of naive eco-idealists, to middle-class rural living for hippies who grew up and got jobs nursing in the hospital, and now pay others to run the tractor over the paddocks and fix their fences. In our valley, community-dwellers outnumber rednecks handily. In the wider district, about 50/50. Works for me.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby PensivePenny » Jul 24, 2020 12:26 pm

theropod_V_2.0 wrote:
laklak wrote:We used to own property in Western North Carolina, GodGunsGritsLand. I never discussed religion, politics, or anything contentious with anyone. "Where you go to church?" was a common question, I would just answer "I'm not much of a church goer" and they'd leave it alone.

I don’t think you were hearing invites. We’ve lived on our mountain over 20 years, and locals consider us “from off”. Fine by me. Those folks asking were looking for juicy gossip, ie “You hear them newcomers from Florida go to church at Sweetwater Baptist. Can you believe it?”

RS

Yup... it's all about the gossip, RS. There are locals here I've become acquainted with who haven't met my "wife" yet. Of course, the two "lesbians" up on the ridge were a hot topic last year. Still, I hear some of those acquaintances are just dying to get a look at her. Hehehe.

Lak, I swore I wouldn't talk politics or religion up here... but dammit... I can't help myself. I'm a scorpion. It's what I do. However, I have managed to restrict the comments to the local townie FB group. I have a tiny bit of anonymity because I'm new here and use a fictitious last name, but the townies all know I'm one of "those people." Otherwise, the people I engage with are all known locals. One idiot I engaged with was one of the elected county commissioners. We went back and forth on the use of masks. Now, some of you here will remember I'm not the polished debater that some of you are, but the locals here have had so little practice in critical thinking, even their elected officials don't present much of a challenge to an amateur like me. Anyway, long story short, the guy ended up posting some things that were not politically expedient for an aspiring politician. When this was brought to his attention, he deleted his account. LOL. I consider that a win.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism