Like ichthus out of the water

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Like ichthus out of the water

#1  Postby bert » Aug 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Like a ichthus out of the water

http://www.livescience.com/47582-unusua ... ution.html

Now, now breed them with selection pressure!

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Like ichthus out of the water

#2  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 28, 2014 5:10 pm

The paper is this one (sadly like all Nature papers, behind a paywall) ...

Developmental Plasticity And The Origin Of Tetrapods by Emily L. Standen, Trina Y. Du & Hans C. E. Larsson, Nature, DOI: doi:10.1038/nature13708

Standen et al, 2014 wrote:Abstract

The origin of tetrapods from their fish antecedents, approximately 400 million years ago, was coupled with the origin of terrestrial locomotion and the evolution of supporting limbs. Polypterus is a member of the basal-most group of ray-finned fish (actinopterygians) and has many plesiomorphic morphologies that are comparable to elpistostegid fishes, which are stem tetrapods. Polypterus therefore serves as an extant analogue of stem tetrapods, allowing us to examine how developmental plasticity affects the ‘terrestrialization’ of fish. We measured the developmental plasticity of anatomical and biomechanical responses in Polypterus reared on land. Here we show the remarkable correspondence between the environmentally induced phenotypes of terrestrialized Polypterus and the ancient anatomical changes in stem tetrapods, and we provide insight into stem tetrapod behavioural evolution. Our results raise the possibility that environmentally induced developmental plasticity facilitated the origin of the terrestrial traits that led to tetrapods.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 28, 2014 5:25 pm

More on Emily Standen here. From that page:

My research program has three central objectives.

First, to understand the developmental flexibility of vertebrates over ontological time scales. Environmental conditions change and animals are forced to change with them. My research focuses on how environmental conditions throughout ontogeny can affect an animal’s functional morphology and behaviour. Biomechanical metrics help quantify to what degree a species is able to adapt behaviourally to environmental changes. Understanding the developmental flexibility of animals to their environments may clarify some of the epigenetic influences on adaptation and evolution.

More power to her elbow!
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby catbasket » Aug 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Very cool!

The video being narrated and edited by Noah Baker tickled my funny bone too.
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby bert » Sep 01, 2014 5:43 am

How about this one then:
"I'm very surprised the fish survived so well on land," said Standen, who conducted this research while she was a postdoctoral researcher at McGill University in Montreal.

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism