Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

Creationist VP-elect of the USA

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#341  Postby Wortfish » Dec 03, 2018 8:10 pm

SkyMutt wrote:
Not that it will make the slightest difference to you, but the fact is that biologists have not thrown up their hands in defeat on any of these topics; much has been learned and ongoing research regularly provides more scientific evidence. Unlike Christian mythology, science is not the static edifice your claims mis-characterize it to be.

It would be helpful if you actually read what you cited. You seem to confuse speculation with explanation. Yes, there are many ideas out there about how these major developments arose, but there is no verified explanation offered. One reason why they are so mysterious is that they appear to have happened only once ...as would be expected in a creation paradigm.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#342  Postby Fallible » Dec 03, 2018 8:21 pm

:rofl:
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#343  Postby felltoearth » Dec 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Wortfish wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:
Not that it will make the slightest difference to you, but the fact is that biologists have not thrown up their hands in defeat on any of these topics; much has been learned and ongoing research regularly provides more scientific evidence. Unlike Christian mythology, science is not the static edifice your claims mis-characterize it to be.

It would be helpful if you actually read what you cited. You seem to confuse speculation with explanation. Yes, there are many ideas out there about how these major developments arose, but there is no verified explanation offered. One reason why they are so mysterious is that they appear to have happened only once ...as would be expected in a creation paradigm.

This is the stupidest thing I have read in a long time. And that includes the Mediums thread.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#344  Postby SkyMutt » Dec 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Wortfish wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:

Contrary to your baseless accusation, I actually have read much of the information I linked to (I haven't read all of the papers and articles linked from the "Origin and Evolution of Eukaryotes" page). You on the other hand have rather blatantly dismissed my response to your attempted Gish gallop without bothering to examine the evidence.
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#345  Postby laklak » Dec 03, 2018 9:08 pm

felltoearth wrote:Science moves faster than the minds at Answers in Genesis.

A three-toed sloth on Valium moves faster than the "minds" at AIG.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#346  Postby aban57 » Dec 03, 2018 9:09 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:

This is the stupidest thing I have read in a long time. And that includes the Mediums thread.

He gets this answer quite a lot, it seems.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#347  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Science could discover and explain in exquisite detail how everything in the universe works except for how Captain Crunch stays crispy in milk for so long, and Wortfish would say this dismisses all science and god must've done the whole thing :lol:
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#348  Postby Wortfish » Dec 03, 2018 10:43 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:

One-offs are usually not regarded as part of the regularities of Nature.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#349  Postby theropod » Dec 03, 2018 10:58 pm

So, a one off planet with intelligent life is somehow different?

RS
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#350  Postby OlivierK » Dec 04, 2018 12:27 am

Yeah, it's weird hearing someone simultaneously pushing creationism, and railing against one-off events, when divine creation by a subsequently undetectable creator would be the granddaddy of all one-off events.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#351  Postby laklak » Dec 04, 2018 12:43 am

Great great great great (how many greats in 6000 years?) granddaddy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#352  Postby felltoearth » Dec 04, 2018 12:55 am

OlivierK wrote:Yeah, it's weird hearing someone simultaneously pushing creationism, and railing against one-off events, when divine creation by a subsequently undetectable creator would be the granddaddy of all one-off events.

It’s incredibly hard to unpack the amount of stupid in that post.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#353  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 04, 2018 3:11 am

Wortfish wrote:You seem to confuse speculation with explanation.

Haven't had to bust that one out in awhile.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#354  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Hey Wortty how about the universe. When was it made?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#355  Postby Alan B » Dec 05, 2018 10:50 am

Don't confuse the poor lad.
The goat herder's 'universe' or the one of which we know today?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#356  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am

Well they are the same but only one is scientific and it was not the one of the goat herders.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#357  Postby aban57 » Dec 05, 2018 12:35 pm

Wortfish wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
SkyMutt wrote:

One-offs are usually not regarded as part of the regularities of Nature.

Yes, they are. Every single species that ever lived on this planet was and is unique. Species that emerge today have different characteristics than those that appeared before.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#358  Postby Macdoc » Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Wonder how WF accounts for this .... :nono:

DNA Testing Reveals Baffling Bird Is Three Species in One. A Pennsylvania birder spotted the bird of a lifetime in his backyard this past spring—it was a hybrid of three species across two genera in a single bird. He'd found a three-in-one warbler.

https://gizmodo.com/dna-testing-reveals ... 1830315215
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#359  Postby Blackadder » Dec 05, 2018 6:05 pm

That bird should be interpreted poetically and metaphorically. It’s not supposed to be taken as a literal bird.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#360  Postby Macdoc » Dec 05, 2018 8:23 pm

hehe...dog's marble.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism