Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

Creationist VP-elect of the USA

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#41  Postby newolder » Dec 18, 2016 10:21 pm

Signed yesterday as, Amon Quay.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
User avatar
newolder
 
Name: Albert Ross
Posts: 7308
Male

Country: Feudal Estate number 9
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#42  Postby Shrunk » Dec 22, 2016 9:38 pm

Alan B wrote:Just signed:
"Uriah Wanker"

Edit.

Just checked: Uriah Wanker is listed as the second signature. Wonder how long it will stay there?


That's not the best part of that petition:

As for “Joe Hannon”: real person, fake name. We (the recipients of his email) had a brief conversation about it, and are convinced that it’s a fairly well known crank, atheistoclast AKA Joseph Bozorgmehr, on the basis of the style and nature, and also because he sometimes posts as Joseph Esfandiar Hannon Bozorgmehr....

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... le-people/
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 55
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#43  Postby Animavore » Dec 22, 2016 9:46 pm

:lol:
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44386
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#44  Postby felltoearth » Dec 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Alan B wrote:Just signed:
"Uriah Wanker"

Edit.

Just checked: Uriah Wanker is listed as the second signature. Wonder how long it will stay there?


That's not the best part of that petition:

As for “Joe Hannon”: real person, fake name. We (the recipients of his email) had a brief conversation about it, and are convinced that it’s a fairly well known crank, atheistoclast AKA Joseph Bozorgmehr, on the basis of the style and nature, and also because he sometimes posts as Joseph Esfandiar Hannon Bozorgmehr....

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... le-people/


Atheistoclast? As in banned from this site?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13818
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#45  Postby Shrunk » Dec 23, 2016 2:07 am

The very one.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 55
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#46  Postby Alan B » Dec 23, 2016 9:47 am

The petition is up to 285 signatures. About a handful seem to be genuine names.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 84
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#47  Postby Shrunk » Dec 23, 2016 11:47 am

I'd feel sorry for someone who's name was actually Hugh Jass and tried to sign a petition.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 55
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#48  Postby Wortfish » Dec 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Alan B wrote:The petition is up to 285 signatures. About a handful seem to be genuine names.


I think Mike Pence is more interested in teaching "intelligent design", and using the teaching of evolution as an excuse to be "fair to both sides".
User avatar
Wortfish
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#49  Postby Wortfish » Dec 24, 2016 9:44 pm

More on reaction to the petition: http://www.evolutionnews.org/2016/12/if ... 03390.html

Atheist activists jumped on the petition as evidence of what the semi-mythic "Christian Right" has in store for the next four years. The petition's creator, though, characterized it as "tongue-in-cheek."
User avatar
Wortfish
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#50  Postby Shrunk » Dec 25, 2016 1:25 am

I wonder when these clowns will finally comprehend that evolution =/= "Darwinism".

My money's on "Never".
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 55
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#51  Postby Alan C » Dec 25, 2016 2:26 am

I think he is why impeaching Trump would be a hollow victory.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
User avatar
Alan C
 
Posts: 2471
Age: 44
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#52  Postby Wortfish » Jan 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Vice President Mike Pence Wants the Bible Taught As Science
http://www.politicususa.com/2016/12/29/ ... ience.html
User avatar
Wortfish
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#53  Postby aban57 » Jan 03, 2017 2:51 pm

That's very close to what I tried to explain to some members of my family who will vote le Pen in May : Just like Trump, she will have to appoint a christian zealot at a high position when in power. A zealot that will try to enforce their religion into the whole population.
aban57
 
Name: Cindy
Posts: 7418
Age: 41
Female

Country: France
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#54  Postby felltoearth » Jan 03, 2017 3:10 pm

aban57 wrote:That's very close to what I tried to explain to some members of my family who will vote le Pen in May : Just like Trump, she will have to appoint a christian zealot at a high position when in power. A zealot that will try to enforce their religion into the whole population.

I have a perennial discussion with my SO about the harms of certain religious beliefs. Some people don't understand that religion can seriously conflict with reality and do damage beyond terrorism that is not apparent.

Many don't understand the levels of batshit crazy religious beliefs amongst some leaders. They assume because they seem pragmatic and they appear to be an approachable non-elite that they are just like them. It's hard to disabuse people of that notion.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13818
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence:

#55  Postby aban57 » Jan 03, 2017 3:54 pm

felltoearth wrote:
aban57 wrote:That's very close to what I tried to explain to some members of my family who will vote le Pen in May : Just like Trump, she will have to appoint a christian zealot at a high position when in power. A zealot that will try to enforce their religion into the whole population.

I have a perennial discussion with my SO about the harms of certain religious beliefs. Some people don't understand that religion can seriously conflict with reality and do damage beyond terrorism that is not apparent.

Many don't understand the levels of batshit crazy religious beliefs amongst some leaders. They assume because they seem pragmatic and they appear to be an approachable non-elite that they are just like them. It's hard to disabuse people of that notion.

Indeed, and it's even more difficult in a country like France, where religion has been banned from public space since 1905. Most French people don't believe or understand the implications of such event.
There is currently an ideological battle in the Front National. Marine, leader of the movement, have been making huge efforts, since she's in power, to "de-demonize" the party's image. On the other hand, her niece, Marion maréchal Le Pen, is strongly tied with far right and christo-fascist groups. It's obvious to me that, unless there is a big clash before the election, Marine will feel obliged to provide an important position to someone representing at least part of these groups.

Edit : niece, not nice.
Last edited by aban57 on Jan 04, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
aban57
 
Name: Cindy
Posts: 7418
Age: 41
Female

Country: France
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mike Pence:

#56  Postby Alan C » Jan 03, 2017 7:16 pm

aban57 wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
aban57 wrote:That's very close to what I tried to explain to some members of my family who will vote le Pen in May : Just like Trump, she will have to appoint a christian zealot at a high position when in power. A zealot that will try to enforce their religion into the whole population.

I have a perennial discussion with my SO about the harms of certain religious beliefs. Some people don't understand that religion can seriously conflict with reality and do damage beyond terrorism that is not apparent.

Many don't understand the levels of batshit crazy religious beliefs amongst some leaders. They assume because they seem pragmatic and they appear to be an approachable non-elite that they are just like them. It's hard to disabuse people of that notion.

Indeed, and it's even more difficult in a country like France, where religion has been banned from public space since 1905. Most French people don't believe or understand the implications of such event.
There is currently an ideological battle in the Front National. Marine, leader of the movement, have been making huge efforts, since she's in power, to "de-demonize" the party's image. On the other hand, her nice, Marion maréchal Le Pen, is strongly tied with far right and christo-fascist groups. It's obvious to me that, unless there is a big clash before the election, Marine will feel obliged to provide an important position to someone representing at least part of these groups.


Crap. France and Europe as a whole doesn't need a return to theocracy.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
User avatar
Alan C
 
Posts: 2471
Age: 44
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#57  Postby aban57 » Jan 04, 2017 8:03 am

I don't think that will happen. Christians are not very numerous here. But they're more present in the older generations, and politicians are mostly from those generations.
aban57
 
Name: Cindy
Posts: 7418
Age: 41
Female

Country: France
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#58  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 04, 2017 11:48 am

aban57 wrote:I don't think that will happen. Christians are not very numerous here. But they're more present in the older generations, and politicians are mostly from those generations.


Same here. Religion is dead well in its death throws. The CDA (Christen-Democratisch Appèl) is feeling it badly. Used to be the biggest party by far scoring 40-45% of the vote but now 15% and has not been in government for more than a decade. This election it is moving into the family party role and dropping the religious part.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43119
Age: 71
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#59  Postby Alan B » Jan 04, 2017 4:38 pm

Now it would be nice if the same thing happened to Islam...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 84
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#60  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 04, 2017 6:48 pm

:) The next pipe dream...
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43119
Age: 71
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest