Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

Creationist VP-elect of the USA

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#401  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Thommo wrote:People sometimes choose their words without meticulous care, therefore God.

I'm constantly bemused that you don't have better things to do.

I believe in the Freudian slip.

There's no Freudian slip - you're pretending that the massive preponderance of evidence is contradicted by your nonsensical interpretations of words.

Go learn how to read.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#402  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Wortfish wrote:In the evolutionary mix of things, humans ARE great apes.

In reality, humans are great apes.

But we can still tell different species of great apes apart. That's why they're called 'species'.

Here, even you can manage it:

See this black furred chap smiling in bemusement at you?

Notice how it has black fur?

Do humans have black fur?

No?

So there's something different about them? You can tell the difference between a human and a chimpanzee if by nothing else than that one has black fur and one does not?

Moving on with our elementary school Spot the Difference game

See this chap?

He's not so happy, in fact, he's a bit disappointed because he was under the impression that humans were intelligent.

However, as you can see, he's covered in orange fur.

Are humans covered in orange fur?

No?

How about chimpanzees? Are they covered in orange fur?

No?

So does that mean that chimpanzees and orangutans cannot both be hominids just because you can tell something different about them?

Now, I wonder why this might be.

Is it because Creationists have caught the evilutionists red-handed in pretending there was no differences detectable among the hominidae family?

Or is it just possibly because the hominidae, colloquially known as 'the great apes', is a family containing several species, and the fact that they're separate species necessarily means that you can find differences between them because if you couldn't, then they wouldn't be separate species?

You might want to have a little think at this point. Then think a bit more.

I await your answer with bated breath. :doh:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#403  Postby Wortfish » Nov 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Thommo wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
Thommo wrote:People sometimes choose their words without meticulous care, therefore God.

I believe in the Freudian slip.

The social role of touch in humans and primates: behavioural function and neurobiological mechanisms.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18662717

Grooming is a widespread activity throughout the animal kingdom, but in primates social grooming, or allo-grooming (the grooming of others), plays a particularly important role in social bonding which, in turn, has a major impact on an individual's lifetime reproductive fitness. New evidence from comparative brain analyses suggests that primates have social relationships of a qualitatively different kind to those found in other animal species, and I suggest that, in primates, social grooming has acquired a new function of supporting these. I review the evidence for a neuropeptide basis for social bonding, and draw attention to the fact that the neuroendrocrine pathways involved are quite unresolved. Despite recent claims for the central importance of oxytocin, there is equally good, but invariably ignored, evidence for a role for endorphins. I suggest that these two neuropeptide families may play different roles in the processes of social bonding in primates and non-primates, and that more experimental work will be needed to tease them apart.

The inescapable conclusion from reading the title and abstract is that humans are non-primates.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#404  Postby Wortfish » Nov 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Humans are NOT primates for the following reasons:

1. Primates are arboreal, humans are terrestrial.
2. Primates have penile bones, humans do not.
3. Primates have opposable big toes, humans have opposable thumbs.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#405  Postby Thommo » Nov 16, 2019 6:44 pm

Wortfish wrote:The inescapable conclusion from reading the title and abstract is that humans are non-primates.

Or that he grew up at a time when the current taxonomic classification was not known and fell into linguistic habits that are now outdated. Or that grooming behaviour among human primates differs from grooming behaviour among primates in general. Or something else.

I don't honestly believe that you think that conclusion is inescapable. Even if you do, it obviously isn't. And even if it were the implication of the words, the loose informal implications of English are no substitute for evidence anyway.

All of this stuff is below basic though, so I'm sure we all have better things to do, than grub around misrepresenting people.
Thommo

Print view this post

#406  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Wortfish wrote:
The inescapable conclusion from reading the title and abstract is that humans are non-primates.

Try reading more than the title because you're talking gibbering. It's like claiming that humans aren't mammals.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#407  Postby newolder » Nov 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Wortfish wrote:...
The social role of touch in humans and primates: behavioural function and neurobiological mechanisms.

Grooming is a widespread activity throughout the animal kingdom, but in primates social grooming, or allo-grooming (the grooming of others), plays a particularly important role in social bonding which, in turn, has a major impact on an individual's lifetime reproductive fitness. New evidence from comparative brain analyses suggests that primates have social relationships of a qualitatively different kind to those found in other animal species, and I suggest that, in primates, social grooming has acquired a new function of supporting these. I review the evidence for a neuropeptide basis for social bonding, and draw attention to the fact that the neuroendrocrine pathways involved are quite unresolved. Despite recent claims for the central importance of oxytocin, there is equally good, but invariably ignored, evidence for a role for endorphins. I suggest that these two neuropeptide families may play different roles in the processes of social bonding in primates and non-primates, and that more experimental work will be needed to tease them apart.

The first sentence in the abstract at that link reads:
Grooming is a widespread activity throughout the animal kingdom, but in primates (including humans) social grooming, or allo-grooming (the grooming of others), plays a particularly important role in social bonding which, in turn, has a major impact on an individual's lifetime reproductive fitness.

Why did you edit out "(including humans)"?

Was it to make yourself tell a lie?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#408  Postby Thommo » Nov 16, 2019 6:53 pm

Well that's a good question. And a good spot.
Thommo

Print view this post

#409  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Wortfish wrote:Humans are NOT primates for the following reasons:

Gorilla. You know, that terrestrial 'great ape'? Yep, primate.

Arboreality/Terrestriality is too broad a brush. Hominoidea have shorter, stubbier spines and sit upright in contrast to most other primates. That doesn't mean they don't live in trees, and it doesn't mean they're not primates.

Also, see how cladistics works. It doesn't operate on whether you live in trees or not. Also try genetics.

Wortfish wrote:2. Primates have penile bones, humans do not.

Bonobos have a baculum that's just a few millimetres long.

Also, see how cladistics works. It doesn't operate on the presence or lack of a single bone. Also try genetics.

Wortfish wrote:3. Primates have opposable big toes, humans have opposable thumbs.

The majority of primates have opposable thumbs - it's a common misconception to think otherwise. Of course, you should inform yourself before making claims based on falsehoods.

No primate has 'opposable toes' - there's no such thing. You're talking about the grasping hallux. That's basically an adaptation for arboreality, whereas humans are bipedal and don't use our toes to grasp things, so it's the same point as your first, meaning you only had two points and they were both wrong or insufficient to support your claim.

Also, see how cladistics works. It doesn't operate on the shape of a single bone. Also try genetics.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#410  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 7:08 pm

newolder wrote:

Grooming is a widespread activity throughout the animal kingdom, but in primates (including humans) social grooming, or allo-grooming (the grooming of others), plays a particularly important role in social bonding which, in turn, has a major impact on an individual's lifetime reproductive fitness.

Explain your intentional editing of the source to change its meaning in such a deceitful manner.

Lying is frowned upon in all social situations, including this one. In fact, we're pretty damn insistent that you don't lie about facts, evidence, and sources.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/old-a ... t-t76.html

Membership Agreement for rationalskepticism.org

Members of rationalskepticism.org agree to:

1.2. not

m. quote mine, plagiarise, or otherwise misrepresent information

You signed that forum user agreement, so even if you lack the moral compass to know why editing out words to change the meaning of a source is wrong, then you are still liable to receive moderator attention.

However, you do have the opportunity to acknowledge your deceitful behavior and apologize for it along with promises not to repeat, then I am sure no one will alert the moderators to deal with your obvious infraction.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#411  Postby felltoearth » Nov 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Wortfish wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Humans and apes are different! I had no idea!

Pull the other one Wortfish.

In the evolutionary mix of things, humans ARE great apes.

Great apes now! If you want to play bait and switch like a used car salesman, go ahead. The caveat being that you end up acting like a used car salesman.

No one wants the stale crap you are selling here.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#412  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Hominini / hominins = a taxonomic tribe of the subfamily Homininae (hominines), includes the genus Homo, the Australopithecina, and possibly - but still disputed - the genus Pan. That means this group includes all of our most recent ancestors including modern humans, and possibly the 2 species of chimpanzee.

Homininae / hominines = a subfamily of the Hominidae (hominids), includes 2 tribes, i) as above, the hominins, and ii) the Gorillini, i.e. the 2 extant species of gorilla, and one extinct genus Chororapithecus. If chimps aren't hominins (which I would say they are) then they're hominines.

Hominidae / hominids / "great apes" = a taxonomic family of the superfamily Hominoidea (hominoids or 'apes'), includes all the above, plus the Bornean, Sumatran and Tapanuli orangutan, and several extinct genera.

Hominoidea / hominoids / "apes" = one of the 2 superfamilies of the Catarrhini (Old World anthropoids), which includes all the above, plus the Hylobatidae family; the 16 species of gibbon.

In turn, the catarrhines are part of the simiformes (simians) including all the Old World monkeys, which together with the tarsiers form the haplorhines, which together with the platyrrhines (New World Monkeys) are part of the order Primates, which contains all of the above.

Humans are just as much primates as each and every other species within all of these classes. To argue otherwise is simply to expose yourself as lacking any relevant knowledge. No primatologist contends this at all, there is no controversy, and you Wortfish lack the knowledge to manufacture one.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#413  Postby The_Piper » Nov 16, 2019 10:30 pm

newolder wrote:

Game over. Blatant purposeful lie. Waste of time to deal with shit like that. We'll see him in another 6 months when he thinks everyone forgot. I'll remind y'all. :nono:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#414  Postby Svartalf » Nov 16, 2019 10:41 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Svartalf wrote:maybe evolution is just a theory, but creationism is an argument from authority, ergo, a falsehood as the "authority" has no ground to stand on.

Mike Pence is on record as denying that humans are primates, as are other creationists.

In a glaring admission, a primatologist - commenting on ancient protein evidence linking orangutans to an extinct giant ape - has given ammunition to creationists by drawing a distinction between humans and primates:

'Primates are relatively close to humans, evolutionary speaking. With this study, we show that we can use protein sequencing to retrieve ancient genetic information from primates living in subtropical areas even when the fossil is two million years old.

In a book on the evolution of sexual behavior, another researcher draws the same distinction:

Sexual Coercion in Primates and Humans: An Evolutionary Perspective on Male Aggression against Females
https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php ... 0674033245

I'll grant you, there's likely more kinship between a real human and a tarsier than between real humans and bible thumpers.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#415  Postby Svartalf » Nov 16, 2019 10:44 pm

felltoearth wrote:Humans and apes are different! I had no idea!

Pull the other one Wortfish.

Of course they are, humans have
1) perfectly developed bipedalism
2) a larger brain
3) more advanced vocalisation and use of language.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#416  Postby Svartalf » Nov 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Great apes are primates
Humans are great apes
ergo humans are primates, QED.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#417  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 17, 2019 12:40 am

Your fantastical notions about species characteristics are completely irrelevant and only serve to demonstrate your ignorance on the topic.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#418  Postby Wortfish » Nov 17, 2019 12:58 am

The_Piper wrote:
Game over. Blatant purposeful lie. Waste of time to deal with shit like that. We'll see him in another 6 months when he thinks everyone forgot. I'll remind y'all. :nono:

I was just trying to do justice to the author's title distinguishing humans and primates. Good citizen editorship on my part.

"Genetic Differences between Humans and Great Apes": https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0300907991

The remarkable similarity among the genomes of humans and the African great apes could warrant their classification together as a single genus. However, whereas there are many similarities in the biology, life history, and behavior of humans and great apes, there are also many striking differences that need to be explained.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#419  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 1:03 am

Wortfish wrote:
I was just trying to do justice to the author's title distinguishing humans and primates. Good citizen editorship on my part.

Ok, if you insist on bullshitting people then play juvenile games when caught, then you clearly are incapable of self-regulation and have to be moderated by morally competent adults.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#420  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 1:09 am

Wortfish wrote:
The remarkable similarity among the genomes of humans and the African great apes could warrant their classification together as a single genus. However, whereas there are many similarities in the biology, life history, and behavior of humans and great apes, there are also many striking differences that need to be explained.

Already addressed:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... l#p2720635

Next manufactured bullshit please.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism