Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

Creationist VP-elect of the USA

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#421  Postby Thommo » Nov 17, 2019 1:59 am

It takes a well practised liar to not even care when they are caught lying.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#422  Postby Wortfish » Nov 17, 2019 2:38 am

Thommo wrote:It takes a well practised liar to not even care when they are caught lying.

Here is the killer difference explained scientifically: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24395771

Besides a relatively anterior foramen magnum, humans differ from apes in the lateral shift of the carotid foramina, mediolateral abbreviation of the lateral tympanic, and a shortened, trapezoidal basioccipital element.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#423  Postby Wortfish » Nov 17, 2019 2:39 am

Thommo wrote:It takes a well practised liar to not even care when they are caught lying.

Here is the killer difference explained scientifically: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24395771

Besides a relatively anterior foramen magnum, humans differ from apes in the lateral shift of the carotid foramina, mediolateral abbreviation of the lateral tympanic, and a shortened, trapezoidal basioccipital element.

We're not the same "kind" of animal as an ape is.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#424  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 2:45 am

Apes.

You know, just like I explained in detail to you: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... l#p2720652

All great apes (hominids) also differ from apes (hominoids) in a number of ways. That's why they don't have the same name. Quite literally everyone knows this. It's not even banal.

You really are being incredibly silly.

This is what Creationism does to you - you think you're doing something special while sitting in your armchair but all you're really doing is showing a paucity of basic comprehension.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#425  Postby Thommo » Nov 17, 2019 2:55 am

Wortfish wrote:

I can't actually see the part of that that justifies deliberately lying about what an abstract says. Consequently I can't see how it pertains to my comment.
Thommo

Print view this post

#426  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 3:03 am

Citrus fruits: clementines... oranges... lemons

But wait!

Lemons aren't the same colour as oranges and clementines - they differ - so they can't be citrus fruits.

I have mastered Creationist logic.

Now I will expound on how citrus fruits differ from fruits, and therefore can't be fruits. Evolution is set to topple at this mighty insight, and Jehovah has been established as fact.

Isn't it funny how Creationists never actually talk about the god stuff, and always try ineptly to undermine science? Basically, they're new-agey comspiracy theorists who happen to also be Christian.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#427  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 3:04 am

Wortfish wrote:

Your Nobel Prize is waiting in Stockholm. Hop on a plane - you'll be reimbursed on arrival.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#428  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 17, 2019 3:44 am

I see Wortfish is back to get slapped around some more :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#429  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 4:02 am

Sciencey words; ahh Creationism.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#430  Postby newolder » Nov 17, 2019 8:14 am

Wortfish wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
Game over. Blatant purposeful lie. Waste of time to deal with shit like that. We'll see him in another 6 months when he thinks everyone forgot. I'll remind y'all. :nono:

I was just trying to do justice to the author's title distinguishing humans and primates. Good citizen editorship on my part.

Justice, my arse. You mangled someone else's words in an attempt to fit them to your agenda. IOW, you told a lie and were caught so doing. :hand:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#431  Postby aban57 » Nov 17, 2019 8:49 am

newolder wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
Game over. Blatant purposeful lie. Waste of time to deal with shit like that. We'll see him in another 6 months when he thinks everyone forgot. I'll remind y'all. :nono:

I was just trying to do justice to the author's title distinguishing humans and primates. Good citizen editorship on my part.

Justice, my arse. You mangled someone else's words in an attempt to fit them to your agenda. IOW, you told a lie and were caught so doing. :hand:

This is one of the most hypocritical aspect of creationists. They'll repeat ad nauseum that their book is the only source of morality, yet they will violate even the 10 commandments (in this case, the 9th) as soon as they can.

Fucking hypocrits. :nono:
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#432  Postby Hermit » Nov 17, 2019 9:05 am

Wortfish wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

Utter bullshit. You used the article to support your view that
Wortfish wrote:The inescapable conclusion from reading the title and abstract is that humans are non-primates.

when in fact that very same abstract explicitly includes humans among the primates. You thought you could hoodwink us by deleting the words "including humans" from the phrase "in primates (including humans)".
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#433  Postby Blip » Nov 17, 2019 9:20 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Wortfish, in your post here you edit a source, without showing that you have done so, seemingly to obscure its meaning in order to support your own contention.

The text is: 'Grooming is a widespread activity throughout the animal kingdom, but in primates (including humans) social grooming, or allo-grooming (the grooming of others), plays a particularly important role in social bonding.’ The post record shows that you removed ‘(including humans)’ from your extract after initial posting; you went on to claim that humans are not primates.

As I’m sure you realise, such posting contravenes the Forum Users’ Agreement, specifically section 1.2m, which concerns the misrepresentation of information.

Do not do this again please.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#434  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 17, 2019 9:20 am

Spearthrower wrote:Citrus fruits: clementines... oranges... lemons

But wait!

Lemons aren't the same colour as oranges and clementines - they differ - so they can't be citrus fruits.

What about limes? :shock:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#435  Postby newolder » Nov 17, 2019 9:26 am

Not to mention that fruit of a grape - the grapefruit! :ahrr:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#436  Postby Wortfish » Nov 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

Wortfish wrote:The inescapable conclusion from reading the title and abstract is that humans are non-primates.

when in fact that very same abstract explicitly includes humans among the primates. You thought you could hoodwink us by deleting the words "including humans" from the phrase "in primates (including humans)".

I am pointing out the confusion that exists about classification in evolutionary biology. You wouldn't say I am going to the shop to buy some "apples and fruit", now would you? That would imply that apples are a different category to that of fruit.

Yes, I am well aware that virtually all scientists think humans are primates. I was being facetious.

But the fact that they always try and distinguish them is because they also know that there are striking differences and unique features about humans that are consistent with our species being a special creation.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#437  Postby newolder » Nov 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Wortfish wrote:...

I am pointing out the confusion that exists about classification in evolutionary biology. You wouldn't say I am going to the shop to buy some "apples and fruit", now would you? That would imply that apples are a different category to that of fruit.

Yes, I am well aware that virtually all scientists think humans are primates. I was being facetious.

But the fact that they always try and distinguish them is because they also know that there are striking differences and unique features about humans that are consistent with our species being a special creation.

No. You lied about what someone wrote. Since the discovery of your lie you have shown no remorse. Whatever credibility you had is gone.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#438  Postby Hermit » Nov 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

I am pointing out the confusion that exists about classification in evolutionary biology.

No, you're not. You have attempted to use an article by an author who explicitly counted humans as belonging to primates as evidence that humans do not belong to primates.

There is no confusion at all. Nobody has argued in this thread that there are no genetic differences between species that belong to the same clade. Not that those differences matter, for cladistics - as Spearthrower spent a considerable amount of time trying to enlighten you about - is the method of categorising species in groups based on the most recent common ancestor. Genetic differences are acknowledged as a matter of course.

Your counter argument was to quotemine with such brazenness that it can only be classified as a fraud or a lie.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#439  Postby Wortfish » Nov 17, 2019 2:01 pm

newolder wrote:
Wortfish wrote:...

No. You lied about what someone wrote. Since the discovery of your lie you have shown no remorse. Whatever credibility you had is gone.

Sorry. But my little bit of editing does not change the fact that there is huge confusion on this issue:
http://nsdl.niscair.res.in/jspui/bitstr ... pology.pdf

Take a look below. These are consecutive paragraphs in the same article:

1. Humans are primates, and the first members of the human species were probably more similar to living nonhuman primates than to any other animals on earth. Thus, by studying living primates we can learn something about the lives of our ancestors.

2. Humans are closely related to primates and similar to them in many ways. If we understand how evolution has shaped the behavior of animals so much like ourselves, we may have greater insights about the way evolution has shaped our own behavior and the behavior of our ancestors.

How can humans be primates AND be closely related to primates?
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#440  Postby felltoearth » Nov 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Tha article is pretty clear at the beginning in how it decerns between different types of primates. In the summary on page five:

Physical anthropology: study of human biology, nonhuman primates, and hominid fossil record;

Quit fucking lying.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism