Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

Creationist VP-elect of the USA

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#441  Postby newolder » Nov 17, 2019 3:18 pm

Wortfish wrote:...

Sorry. But my little bit of editing does not change the fact that there is huge confusion on this issue:
http://nsdl.niscair.res.in/jspui/bitstr ... pology.pdf

What are you "Sorry." for? How will you make restoration for your lie? Your lie means that you will not be believed again until long after the restoration of your credibility.

Take a look below. These are consecutive paragraphs in the same article:

1. Humans are primates, and the first members of the human species were probably more similar to living nonhuman primates than to any other animals on earth. Thus, by studying living primates we can learn something about the lives of our ancestors.

2. Humans are closely related to primates and similar to them in many ways. If we understand how evolution has shaped the behavior of animals so much like ourselves, we may have greater insights about the way evolution has shaped our own behavior and the behavior of our ancestors.

How can humans be primates AND be closely related to primates?

I "took a look" a while back and agree with felltoearth's reply above. Now, you have multiple lies to deal with. I'll wait...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#442  Postby Fenrir » Nov 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Lying liars lie.

How can this possibly be news to anyone?
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#443  Postby Wortfish » Nov 17, 2019 4:06 pm

newolder wrote:
I "took a look" a while back and agree with felltoearth's reply above. Now, you have multiple lies to deal with. I'll wait...

Pure evasion. Nothing on my part changes the fact that there are numerous references to humans and primates being distinct from one another. Admittedly, this could be avoided if they referred to humans and OTHER primates.

I just sense a Freudian hesitation.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#444  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 17, 2019 4:22 pm

It does.

primates (including humans)

Wortfish wrote:You wouldn't say I am going to the shop to buy some "apples and fruit", now would you?

I would say "apples and other fruit" or "fruit (including apples)". Is your problem here really that you just royally suck at English? Because I find it hard to believe that you're operating on pure ignorance here.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#445  Postby newolder » Nov 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Wortfish wrote:
newolder wrote:

Pure evasion.

...snip evasive wibble...

Yes, you are evading dealing with your initial lie and the question of for what you are "Sorry."? Anything other will have to wait until after you've addressed these.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#446  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
Game over. Blatant purposeful lie. Waste of time to deal with shit like that. We'll see him in another 6 months when he thinks everyone forgot. I'll remind y'all. :nono:

I was just trying to do justice to the author's title distinguishing humans and primates. Good citizen editorship on my part.

Utter bullshit. You used the article to support your view that
Wortfish wrote:The inescapable conclusion from reading the title and abstract is that humans are non-primates.

when in fact that very same abstract explicitly includes humans among the primates. You thought you could hoodwink us by deleting the words "including humans" from the phrase "in primates (including humans)".

I am pointing out the confusion that exists about classification in evolutionary biology. You wouldn't say I am going to the shop to buy some "apples and fruit", now would you? That would imply that apples are a different category to that of fruit.

Yes, I am well aware that virtually all scientists think humans are primates. I was being facetious.

But the fact that they always try and distinguish them is because they also know that there are striking differences and unique features about humans that are consistent with our species being a special creation.

I am going to the shops to buy some apples and other fruit.

Not hard, is it?

Nothing in the sentence suggests that apples are not fruit. You are trying to hang massive ramifications on the use of the word 'and'. It's fucking silly.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#447  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Wortfish wrote:
newolder wrote:
Wortfish wrote:...

I am pointing out the confusion that exists about classification in evolutionary biology. You wouldn't say I am going to the shop to buy some "apples and fruit", now would you? That would imply that apples are a different category to that of fruit.

Yes, I am well aware that virtually all scientists think humans are primates. I was being facetious.

But the fact that they always try and distinguish them is because they also know that there are striking differences and unique features about humans that are consistent with our species being a special creation.

No. You lied about what someone wrote. Since the discovery of your lie you have shown no remorse. Whatever credibility you had is gone.

Sorry. But my little bit of editing does not change the fact that there is huge confusion on this issue:
http://nsdl.niscair.res.in/jspui/bitstr ... pology.pdf

Take a look below. These are consecutive paragraphs in the same article:

1. Humans are primates, and the first members of the human species were probably more similar to living nonhuman primates than to any other animals on earth. Thus, by studying living primates we can learn something about the lives of our ancestors.

2. Humans are closely related to primates and similar to them in many ways. If we understand how evolution has shaped the behavior of animals so much like ourselves, we may have greater insights about the way evolution has shaped our own behavior and the behavior of our ancestors.

How can humans be primates AND be closely related to primates?

All you're doing is INSISTING on ignorance.

I've already explained this to you. You've intentionally ignored those posts to repeat that ignorant claim.

Let's show you again in really simple terms.

You are a member of your family.
You are closely related to them.

How can you both be a member of your family and closely related to them?

You are fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of classification and nested hierarchies.

All hominids are primates, but not all primates are hominids. The other groups of primates, which aren't hominids, are still closely related to hominids.

That doesn't have to be true. If the divergence between hominids and other primates was hundreds of millions of years, then there could be massive genetic divergence too. However, they'd still both remain primates because of those nested hierarchies.

It's not hard. You've had it explained. Stop pretending that you've discovered some unnoticed chink in evolutionary theory. All you're doing is showing why you're a Creationist.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#448  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Wortfish wrote:
newolder wrote:

Pure evasion. Nothing on my part changes the fact that there are numerous references to humans and primates being distinct from one another. Admittedly, this could be avoided if they referred to humans and OTHER primates.

I just sense a Freudian hesitation.

If you keep replying to this topic without addressing my posts where I've given you all the information you need that makes untenable your silly insistence of this bullshit, and particularly if you keep lying about sources, I will report you again. We can keep this up as long as you like because it's you who will be suspended.

Stop playing silly buggers and engage in the information you need to comprehend this topic.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#449  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Humans and other primates do differ from each other.

Do you seriously think there's ANY evolutionary biologist, primatologist, or palaeoanthropologist unaware of this? Do you think this is some kind of amazing revelation that no one had conceived before? It's immediately apparent when looking at pictures of them without even worrying about comparative morphology, geographic distribution, or genetics.

Of course, the fact that there are differences between them doesn't mean they're not both classified together, because the classification doesn't mean 'identical' but rather that they share a common ancestor. Your rendition is just a silly bit of nonsense on your part and means you need to educate yourself prior to discussing this topic so you don't come across as a total muppet.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#450  Postby OlivierK » Nov 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Wortfish wrote: Admittedly, this could be avoided if they referred to humans and OTHER primates.

Yes, "this" could be avoided if they referred to "other primates".

But you need to consider what the "this" is here, because the authors and 99.9% of their readers simply take the implicit "other" as something so obvious it does not need inclusion.

So the unnecessary inclusion of of "other" every time would achieve what, exactly? Make it harder for creationists to transparently lie about their work? Why would the author care about that? Creationists gonna lie, no matter what. And it's transparent; nobody actually thinks the authors are confused, or reticent, or hedging their bets; everyone just sees you lying.

As long as you think this is the author's problem, or science's problem, the longer you're not going to realise that it's a "you" problem.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism