Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

Creationist VP-elect of the USA

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#61  Postby Wortfish » Aug 02, 2017 7:51 pm

The thing that ID creationists don't understand is that "intelligent design" - even if it were true - cannot be seen as a scientific explanation, only a philosophical explanation. This is because science deals with proximate causes whereas philosophy/theology concerns itself with ultimate causes. When Paley delivered his watchmaker argument, he never intended it to be a scientific explanation, only a religious argument.
User avatar
Wortfish
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#62  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Wortfish wrote:The thing that ID creationists don't understand is that "intelligent design" - even if it were true - cannot be seen as a scientific explanation, only a philosophical explanation.

Much more important before it can even be demonstrated to be true: it does not actually explain anything.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31037
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#63  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Wortfish wrote:When Paley delivered his watchmaker argument, he never intended it to be a scientific explanation, only a religious argument.

There's no such thing. There's logical arguments, period.
Putting religion into it doesn't magically make it it's own category of arguments that's immune from scientific and/or logical criticisms.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31037
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#64  Postby Wortfish » Aug 02, 2017 10:16 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Wortfish wrote:When Paley delivered his watchmaker argument, he never intended it to be a scientific explanation, only a religious argument.

There's no such thing. There's logical arguments, period.
Putting religion into it doesn't magically make it it's own category of arguments that's immune from scientific and/or logical criticisms.


The point is that Paley was making a religious argument for the existence of God. He was not trying to explain how watches are designed. The ID movement claims to have an explanation for biological complexity when all they have is a religious interpretation.
User avatar
Wortfish
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#65  Postby Fenrir » Aug 02, 2017 11:25 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Wortfish wrote:When Paley delivered his watchmaker argument, he never intended it to be a scientific explanation, only a religious argument.

There's no such thing. There's logical arguments, period.
Putting religion into it doesn't magically make it it's own category of arguments that's immune from scientific and/or logical criticisms.


The point is that Paley was making a religious argument for the existence of God. He was not trying to explain how watches are designed. The ID movement claims to have an explanation for biological complexity when all they have is a religious interpretation.
The ID movement, what there is of it, which isn't much, also does not try and explain how watches are designed. All they have is the very same claim as creationists: design, because reasons.

The mistake they make is the same as Paley's, focusing on the irrelevant watch while ignoring the heath. Eppur si muove.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
User avatar
Fenrir
 
Posts: 3604
Male

Country: Australia
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#66  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 03, 2017 8:05 am

Wortfish wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Wortfish wrote:When Paley delivered his watchmaker argument, he never intended it to be a scientific explanation, only a religious argument.

There's no such thing. There's logical arguments, period.
Putting religion into it doesn't magically make it it's own category of arguments that's immune from scientific and/or logical criticisms.


The point is that Paley was making a religious argument for the existence of God.

I just explained to you there's no such thing.
What the fuck is a religious argument?

Wortfish wrote:He was not trying to explain how watches are designed. The ID movement claims to have an explanation for biological complexity when all they have is a religious interpretation.

A religious interpetation =/= a religious argument.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31037
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#67  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 03, 2017 8:06 am

To paraphrase someone else:
Creationist are walking on a beach of watches in a universe made of watches and therefore have no bais to determine what is or isn't designed.
- Matt Dillahunty
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31037
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#68  Postby Greyman » Aug 03, 2017 8:31 am

Wortfish wrote:The point is that Paley was making a religious argument for the existence of God. He was not trying to explain how watches are designed. The ID movement claims to have an explanation for biological complexity when all they have is a religious interpretation.
Negative. Paley had an explanation for the origin of complex mechanisms that need to be assembled whole from manufactured components, like watches. Watchmakers. He was insisting that the same explanation could/should be used for the origin of living organisms that grow and reproduce themselves, like chickens.

That his aim was to infer the necessity for god does not place the argument in some non-overlapping magisteria bubble where we stop applying critical thought.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
User avatar
Greyman
 
Name: Graham
Posts: 493
Age: 52

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#69  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 03, 2017 10:17 am

Hoi Thomas

Prettig verjaardag. :cheers:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43119
Age: 71
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#70  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 03, 2017 10:19 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Hoi Thomas

Prettig verjaardag. :cheers:

Dank je Scot.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31037
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#71  Postby felltoearth » Aug 03, 2017 10:48 am

Yes, Happy Birthday Thomas!
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 13820
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#72  Postby Wortfish » Aug 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Greyman wrote:Negative. Paley had an explanation for the origin of complex mechanisms that need to be assembled whole from manufactured components, like watches. Watchmakers. He was insisting that the same explanation could/should be used for the origin of living organisms that grow and reproduce themselves, like chickens.


Wel, the watchmaker may be the ultimate explanation for why a watch exists on the heath, but it is not a sufficient explanation that informs us how and why the watch was assembled in the way that it is. That's why his argument is a religious/philosophical one and not a scientific one.
User avatar
Wortfish
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#73  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 03, 2017 9:48 pm

felltoearth wrote:Yes, Happy Birthday Thomas!

Thanks! :cheers:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31037
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#74  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Greyman wrote:Negative. Paley had an explanation for the origin of complex mechanisms that need to be assembled whole from manufactured components, like watches. Watchmakers. He was insisting that the same explanation could/should be used for the origin of living organisms that grow and reproduce themselves, like chickens.


Wel, the watchmaker may be the ultimate explanation for why a watch exists on the heath, but it is not a sufficient explanation that informs us how and why the watch was assembled in the way that it is. That's why his argument is a religious/philosophical one and not a scientific one.

Again, there's no such thing as a religious arguments.
And saying goddidit, is not an argument. It's an assertion and a baseless one at that.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31037
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#75  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Greyman wrote:Negative. Paley had an explanation for the origin of complex mechanisms that need to be assembled whole from manufactured components, like watches. Watchmakers. He was insisting that the same explanation could/should be used for the origin of living organisms that grow and reproduce themselves, like chickens.


Wel, the watchmaker may be the ultimate explanation for why a watch exists on the heath, but it is not a sufficient explanation that informs us how and why the watch was assembled in the way that it is. That's why his argument is a religious/philosophical one and not a scientific one.

That doesn't make sense, Wortfish. What also doesn't make sense is any religion-based explanation of a watch that is found on a beach. The only way to get the detailed explanation you want is to look for the manufacturer's mark on it, then look up what information is available on the internet, or in catalogues, or contact the manufacturers, if that des not give enough detail.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#76  Postby Wortfish » Aug 04, 2017 5:10 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
That doesn't make sense, Wortfish. What also doesn't make sense is any religion-based explanation of a watch that is found on a beach. The only way to get the detailed explanation you want is to look for the manufacturer's mark on it, then look up what information is available on the internet, or in catalogues, or contact the manufacturers, if that des not give enough detail.

The watchmaker argument doesn't claim that God made the watch found on the heath. It claims that the watch was designed and made by a watchmaker.
User avatar
Wortfish
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 971

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#77  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Wortfish wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
That doesn't make sense, Wortfish. What also doesn't make sense is any religion-based explanation of a watch that is found on a beach. The only way to get the detailed explanation you want is to look for the manufacturer's mark on it, then look up what information is available on the internet, or in catalogues, or contact the manufacturers, if that des not give enough detail.

The watchmaker argument doesn't claim that God made the watch found on the heath. It claims that the watch was designed and made by a watchmaker.

It's not as simple as that, Wortfish:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy#William_Paley
...
Paley went on to argue that the complex structures of living things and the remarkable adaptations of plants and animals required an intelligent designer.
...

In other words, he was claiming that god(s) are required to explain us.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#78  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Wortfish wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
That doesn't make sense, Wortfish. What also doesn't make sense is any religion-based explanation of a watch that is found on a beach. The only way to get the detailed explanation you want is to look for the manufacturer's mark on it, then look up what information is available on the internet, or in catalogues, or contact the manufacturers, if that des not give enough detail.

The watchmaker argument doesn't claim that God made the watch found on the heath. It claims that the watch was designed and made by a watchmaker.

As a direct analogy to god creating the universe.
Again, according to the watchmaker argument, the universe is made of watches, you're walking on a beach of watches and thus have no comparison to claim they're designed.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31037
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#79  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 06, 2017 2:28 am

The problems with Paley's watchmaker pseudo-argument being, of course, twofold. One, that a watch stands out as being observably different from the other entities on the beach. Two, that we have other evidence for watches being the products of human fabrication. Neither of these applies to the biosphere.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22063
Age: 58
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#80  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 06, 2017 9:56 am

nvm
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31037
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest