Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

Creationist VP-elect of the USA

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Mike Pence: "Evolution is just a theory"

#81  Postby erraserhead » Sep 03, 2017 11:29 am

Pence makes me embarrassed to be from Indiana. I was quite happy he got out of the guvner's seat, but then I realized my worst fear might ACTUALLY HAPPEN.
President Pence?!?
A great deal of intelligence is invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep. - Saul Bellow
erraserhead

Name: Jon Blackman

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Zadocfish2 » Sep 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Greyman wrote:Negative. Paley had an explanation for the origin of complex mechanisms that need to be assembled whole from manufactured components, like watches. Watchmakers. He was insisting that the same explanation could/should be used for the origin of living organisms that grow and reproduce themselves, like chickens.

Wel, the watchmaker may be the ultimate explanation for why a watch exists on the heath, but it is not a sufficient explanation that informs us how and why the watch was assembled in the way that it is. That's why his argument is a religious/philosophical one and not a scientific one.

Well, that's totally true. It was not a scientific argument and was more of a philosophical musing. I don't think that the idea has much merit, either way, but I'm happy that you notice that Paley's point was 100% removed from science. You know what science is, and I think that should be acknowledged.
User formerly known as Falconjudge.

I am a Christian.
Zadocfish2

Name: Justin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Zadocfish2 wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
Greyman wrote:Negative. Paley had an explanation for the origin of complex mechanisms that need to be assembled whole from manufactured components, like watches. Watchmakers. He was insisting that the same explanation could/should be used for the origin of living organisms that grow and reproduce themselves, like chickens.

Wel, the watchmaker may be the ultimate explanation for why a watch exists on the heath, but it is not a sufficient explanation that informs us how and why the watch was assembled in the way that it is. That's why his argument is a religious/philosophical one and not a scientific one.

Well, that's totally true. It was not a scientific argument and was more of a philosophical musing. I don't think that the idea has much merit, either way, but I'm happy that you notice that Paley's point was 100% removed from science. You know what science is, and I think that should be acknowledged.

Except that he demonstrated in the other thread, that he doesn't.
He thinks scientists think up hypotheses out of the blue and then only look for evidence to confirm that hypothesis.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 06, 2017 7:37 am

I thought that was creationists?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Shrunk » Sep 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Alan B wrote:Just watched it. That 'thing' is going to be Vice-president of the US?
:crazy:

Not only is he going to the VP, but he is now heading Trump's transition team and will choose all cabinet members and seniour staff, including at the Department of Education. There are rumours that creationists are asking him to impose a moratorium on the teaching of evolution within President Trump's first 100 days.

Wortfish's knowledge of real world events proves as accurate as usual.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#86  Postby OlivierK » Sep 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Seems harsh. I'll bet that idea was floated by creationists. And Pence was involved in the choice of a pro-intelligent-design idiot as Education Secretary.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#87  Postby SkyMutt » Sep 07, 2017 10:08 pm

I clicked on the link expecting that the article would confirm the assertion that Pence was involved in choosing De Vos. No such luck. It wouldn't surprise me if he was, but the article doesn't say that. So I searched further and all the sources I've found described her as "Trump's pick," with no mention of Pence other than his tie-breaking vote in her US Senate confirmation hearing.
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby OlivierK » Sep 08, 2017 2:04 am

Pence was head of the transition team, whose job it was to put forward nominations for Secretary positions. There's no shortage of articles on his role working with Trump to pick the Cabinet.

But have one specific one referring to Pence's links to the deVos family:
Right now, she has 50 votes in the Senate, which means that Vice President Mike Pence, a friend of the ultra-wealthy, ultra-conservative DeVos family, will cast the deciding vote in her favor.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/140456/ ... etsy-devos

Pence and deVos have long been co-warriors in pursuing school voucher programs. Before Pence put her forward as Education Secretary, she had nice things to say about his selection as VP:
https://www.federationforchildren.org/a ... candidate/

Unsurprising, because she'd also been, through a American Federation for Children (an anti-public-education lobby group) a key funder of Pence in Indiana.
http://jonathanpelto.com/2016/07/14/bre ... ning-mate/
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Wortfish » Oct 29, 2017 12:55 am

I think it is likely that Pence will soon propose executive action to enforce "academic freedom" in public schools nationwide. This means that teachers cannot be censured or fired if they discuss material "critical" of evolution, climate change and other scientific theories. Those schools that do not comply would be at risk of being defunded.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 29, 2017 9:22 am

Wortfish wrote:I think it is likely that Pence will soon propose executive action to enforce "academic freedom" in public schools nationwide. This means that teachers cannot be censured or fired if they discuss material "critical" of evolution, climate change and other scientific theories. Those schools that do not comply would be at risk of being defunded.

Well, if it takes government enforcement to overcome science, then I guess that's what it takes. I don't know if that's a stable equilibrium or not. Have any theories about that, in light of creationism or natural selection? Other than the expected, of course.

This could really work out for you, Wortfish. If school systems leave most students ignorant of even basic science for the sake of Sunday morning sermons, that leaves them like fatted cattle for the smart ones who don't just want to be told soothing fairy stories. It's up to you, Worfish, and idiots like Pence. He knows how to work the system, and you don't, so you're depending on him not just to fix schools for you, but everything else as well, just so dumbshit kids of creotards don't have to feel offended by what they might have to hear when they emerge from the bosom of their families.

Even people who have no education at all and are smart enough can figure out that your fairy stories don't hold together. You have to want to believe that crap.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Placebo Domingo
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Macdoc » Oct 29, 2017 3:46 pm

So Wortfish ....how do you deal with scientific fact......provide an alternative theory to explain them?? you do understand that a theory is only a sound as it explains scientific facts, which are verifiable, repeatable observations

material "critical" of evolution, climate change

got any sound alternatives ? :coffee:

:popcorn:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Wortfish » Aug 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Even people who have no education at all and are smart enough can figure out that your fairy stories don't hold together. You have to want to believe that crap.

If Trump is impeached or resigns, Pence will take over..as president he may call for creationism to be taught alongside evolutionary theory.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#93  Postby felltoearth » Aug 22, 2018 9:54 pm

In your wet dreams. The Dover judgement would prevent any such thing.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence:

#94  Postby Wortfish » Aug 22, 2018 10:02 pm

felltoearth wrote:In your wet dreams. The Dover judgement would prevent any such thing.

One judge in one court doesn't change anything. Creationism has been taught in American public schools before. At the very least, criticism of Neo-Darwinism will be made a mandatory component of the science class.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#95  Postby The_Piper » Aug 22, 2018 10:34 pm

now what the hell is neo-Darwinism? Your choice of words suggests intellectual dishonesty. :scratch:
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby felltoearth » Aug 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Wortfish wrote:
felltoearth wrote:In your wet dreams. The Dover judgement would prevent any such thing.

One judge in one court doesn't change anything. Creationism has been taught in American public schools before. At the very least, criticism of Neo-Darwinism will be made a mandatory component of the science class.

Well it is all it took as the case was so solid they refused appeals. Behe's performance was embarrassing.
If you want to hitch your ride to that sorry lot, that really is your choice. The vapidity and intellectual dishonesty of ID couldn't be more clear.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#97  Postby laklak » Aug 23, 2018 3:46 am

Yabbut why are there still monkeys Mr. Smartypants Evolutionist? And how come bananas fit right in your hand? I sure aint' never seen no cat have puppies nor no crocoducks at the lake.

That really is the level of reasoned discourse you can expect.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Macdoc » Aug 23, 2018 6:36 am

Wortfish ...terminal case of wishful thinking. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Mike Pence:

#99  Postby Blackadder » Aug 23, 2018 7:46 am

Wortfish wrote:

At the very least, criticism of Neo-Darwinism will be made a mandatory component of the science class.

That would be the educational equivalent of smearing one’s excrement on the chalkboard and calling it “science”.

Mike Pence may wish to drag the US education system back to the 14th century but there are millions of Americans who don’t and who would fight this every inch of the way.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Greyman » Aug 23, 2018 8:36 am

Do you know why it is called Neo-Darwinian Evolutionary Theory? Because it has been placed under critical scrutinary and now incorporates findings from genetics. And, yes, it is still undergoing critical scrutinary. By trained biologists.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism