Modern selection pressure

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Modern selection pressure

#1  Postby bert » Jul 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi,

Sometimes I think about the very different situation we have today versus only half a century ago. These days, just every kid born makes it till adulthood. That's not the case in the past, if I take a look at the fruits of my father's genealogy hobby.

But we still have selection pressures these days

1) Educated/intelligent people get fewer kids, if any (correlates with less religious people get fewer kids, increasing the fitness of the "gene" for gullibility)
2) I live in a country with on average the tallest people in the world. Women select taller men. I expect a divergence in height. (Height challenged people like me don't stand a chance because men are accessories: A women couldn't wear high heels next to a men of my height. I'm not really tiny, but by Dutch standards sufficiently significant below average: When I was in a village in southern France I felt TALL. I was taller than just about everyone in that village).
3) In my country, women have a career first. They get children very late (35+ to well in their forties), and often they can't get them anymore. Tremendous selection pressure there. I expect Dutch women to be able to bear children even later in life in a few generations, if this continues. (I don't expect it to continue, as freezing of eggs will start getting traction).

4) And now I read about this. That will select for off-spring less sensitive to the pill.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

No matter what, we'll evolve inescapably.

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism