Nessie cut from creationism

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Nessie cut from creationism

#21  Postby proudfootz » Jul 30, 2013 12:47 am

So long as Bigfoot is safe, we can all breathe easy...
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Goldenmane » Jul 30, 2013 6:27 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence.

Yeah, ever heard of birds?

A couple of weeks ago there was a report in my state newspaper regarding the shit state science education, and it included a quiz.

One of the quiz questions was something like, "Did dinosaurs and early humans live at the same time?"

My nine-year-old son said "Yes."

When challenged on this answer, he cited birds at me, whilst wearing a great big smart-arse grin.

:mrgreen:
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#23  Postby Ian Tattum » Jul 30, 2013 9:10 am

Calilasseia wrote:
TheLordShark wrote:Well he/she should be, she must've been on the Ark, given that the flood supposedly killed everything in the sea.

But as the existence of all the fish and reef building corals testifies, it didn't. Which is one of the biggest observational refutations of the entire "global flood" fantasy. Not least because, given what we know about the physiology of these organisms, any "global flood" that actually happened would have exterminated these organisms wholesale. As for fantasy apologetic erections about the "global flood" supposedly keeping fresh and salt water regions separate, despite all the turbulence that would have been present, I'll regard such made up shit as eminently discardable, until I see a working Navier-Stokes fluid dynamic model upholding this assertion. None of which, of course, helps with the reef building corals, because not only would they have been subject to massive osmoregulatory shock, they'd also have been cut off from light by an extra 9,000 metres of water, which would have killed their symbiotic zooxanthelllae, and without those, the corals would have died in pretty short order. Similarly, all the aquatic angiosperm plants would have been exterminated wholesale by the same mechanism, not to mention being buried under millions of tons of silt.

But of course, creationists are so emotionally attached to their fantasy "global flood", despite the implications it has for their magic man as the ultimate biocidal murderer, one that makes Hitler look like a choirboy, that they'll continue making shit up to prop up this fantasy, no matter how often and how hard reality points and laughs at their efforts.

Ian Tattum wrote:It does not actually say that in Genesis- the water creatures seemingly had an exemption.

Except that for the reasons I've given above, said "exemption" would have been non-existent. The wholesale changes in salinity in every body of water on the planet, that would have arisen from the fantasy "global flood", would, if this fantasy event had ever happened, have wiped out all the reef building corals, all the stenohaline fishes (i.e, 99% of all known fish species), and all the aquatic angiosperm plants. They would no longer exist. The tropical fish happily swimming in my two aquaria just 6 feet from my armchair point and laugh at creationist assertions with respect to this.

Ian Tattum wrote:So as Nessie currently lives in fresh water, he would have had a chance of surviving when the seas were massively inundated with fresh ground water and rain water.

Except for the fact that any such organism would have been left with nothing to eat. Which would kick in pretty quickly to kill said organism regardless of any osmoregulatory issues that might have been present. This is based upon the fact that in order to be active in the cold waters of Loch Ness, any large marine organism would need to be warm-blooded. My understanding is that most of the fish found there reside in the shallows, which become warmer in summer, not an option open to a 50 foot animal, and the fish species in question enter a state of torpor when winter sets in. Consequently, these relatively small, low-mass, cold-blooded organisms can maintain life in the Loch, and also take advantage of the fact that they respire via gills. A large air-breathing marine organism would need to be warm-blooded to maintain any lengthy existence in the Loch, and such an organism would have a much higher energy intake requirement than a cold-blooded fish. Consequently, if such an organism were deprived of food for even a relatively short period of time, it would face death by starvation. I don't know of any warm-blooded organism that can survive without food for a year.

Ian Tattum wrote:Maybe it was the fall of the oceans which strranded him in Loch Ness? :)

My understanding is that Loch Ness has a connection to the North Sea, via the River Ness and the Beauly Firth. Indeed, some of the alleged sightings of "Nessie" have been in that river, one dating back to the 6th century. I gather the river is deep enough to allow a 50 foot animal to swim through it, as boats larger than this navigate the river regularly.

You have refuted my jest! :)
Ian Tattum

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby CharlieM » Aug 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Ian Tattum wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

Ian Tattum wrote:Maybe it was the fall of the oceans which strranded him in Loch Ness? :)

My understanding is that Loch Ness has a connection to the North Sea, via the River Ness and the Beauly Firth. Indeed, some of the alleged sightings of "Nessie" have been in that river, one dating back to the 6th century. I gather the river is deep enough to allow a 50 foot animal to swim through it, as boats larger than this navigate the river regularly.

Hi folks
There seems to be a bit off a lack of opposition to respond to as posters are resorting to jump on tongue-in-cheek posts just to try to get an argument going. Cali's post above is a case in point. I haven't had time to post here recently, Maybe I'll pick up where I left off as you seem to be in need of some genuine opposing views.

About the River Ness, I spent my first year of my life in a house in Douglas Row on its banks, I met my wife in the Columba Hotel on its banks and we were married in Trinity Church on its banks. I have swam in it, fished on it and canoed on it. I have personal knowledge of the river. Cali on the other hand does not have much knowledge of the river but he does believe that fairly large boats can navigate it. But belief is not knowledge and in this case his belief is ill-founded. Canoes are about the only boats you'll see navigating the river. Anything larger than this which travels between Loch Ness and the Moray Firth does not go via the river.
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 05, 2013 6:20 am

CharlieM wrote:
Ian Tattum wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

Hi folks
There seems to be a bit off a lack of opposition to respond to as posters are resorting to jump on tongue-in-cheek posts just to try to get an argument going. Cali's post above is a case in point.

If you're referring to the post Ian Tattum quoted above, it wasn't in jest. I posted it to point out that the loch has a sea connection large enough for any actual living plesiosaur to navigate. Indeed, the bulk of my contributions in this thread have been substantive objections to the existence of any large animal in that body of water. But don't let this stop you from posting the usual apologetics, will you?

CharlieM wrote:I haven't had time to post here recently, Maybe I'll pick up where I left off as you seem to be in need of some genuine opposing views.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

If by "opposing views", you mean "made up shit to prop up fatuous mythology written by superstitious, pre-scientific nomads", do bring it on, we've been in need of some comedy here for a while.

CharlieM wrote:About the River Ness, I spent my first year of my life in a house in Douglas Row on its banks, I met my wife in the Columba Hotel on its banks and we were married in Trinity Church on its banks. I have swam in it, fished on it and canoed on it. I have personal knowledge of the river. Cali on the other hand does not have much knowledge of the river but he does believe that fairly large boats can navigate it.

Er no, I based my statement upon actual facts about the width and depth of the river. From this account of inland navigation from 1792, we have on page 560:

Now we come into Loch Ness, which is computed to be 22 or 24 miles long, lying in a direct line; it is from one to two miles wide throughout, and in most places 140 fathoms deep without rocks or islands, the water remarkably clear and pleasant, and well stocked with salmon, trout and pike, and never freezes; a sloop of 60 tons burthen is continually sailing on this lake to supply Fort Augustus from Inverness.

From here, we learn of a sloop called the Princess Royal, operating in the waters around Vancouver in the late 1780s, and the statistics for this vessel are:

Burthen: 65 tons
Crew: 15
Length: 43 feet
Beam: 16 feet
Draught: 8 feet when laden.

So we have here an account that a vessel of similar size to a large plesiosaur could navigate the relevant waters.

No "belief" involved

CharlieM wrote: But belief is not knowledge and in this case his belief is ill-founded. Canoes are about the only boats you'll see navigating the river. Anything larger than this which travels between Loch Ness and the Moray Firth does not go via the river.

Maybe not now, after the construction of the Caledonian Canal, but before said canal construction, boats of the requisite size did navigate the waters in question. The 60 ton sloop mentioned in the above old account could not "supply fort Augustus from Inverness" without navigating those waters.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby CharlieM » Aug 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
CharlieM wrote:
Ian Tattum wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

Hi folks
There seems to be a bit off a lack of opposition to respond to as posters are resorting to jump on tongue-in-cheek posts just to try to get an argument going. Cali's post above is a case in point.

Calilasseia wrote:If you're referring to the post Ian Tattum quoted above, it wasn't in jest. I posted it to point out that the loch has a sea connection large enough for any actual living plesiosaur to navigate. Indeed, the bulk of my contributions in this thread have been substantive objections to the existence of any large animal in that body of water. But don't let this stop you from posting the usual apologetics, will you?

Your post certainly wasn't in jest but I don't think that Ian expected his post to be taken too seriously.

Calilasseia wrote:
CharlieM wrote:I haven't had time to post here recently, Maybe I'll pick up where I left off as you seem to be in need of some genuine opposing views.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

If by "opposing views", you mean "made up shit to prop up fatuous mythology written by superstitious, pre-scientific nomads", do bring it on, we've been in need of some comedy here for a while.

Well it is comic the way you try to avoid admitting any errors on your part.

Calilasseia wrote:
CharlieM wrote:About the River Ness, I spent my first year of my life in a house in Douglas Row on its banks, I met my wife in the Columba Hotel on its banks and we were married in Trinity Church on its banks. I have swam in it, fished on it and canoed on it. I have personal knowledge of the river. Cali on the other hand does not have much knowledge of the river but he does believe that fairly large boats can navigate it.

Er no, I based my statement upon actual facts about the width and depth of the river. From this account of inland navigation from 1792, we have on page 560:

Now we come into Loch Ness, which is computed to be 22 or 24 miles long, lying in a direct line; it is from one to two miles wide throughout, and in most places 140 fathoms deep without rocks or islands, the water remarkably clear and pleasant, and well stocked with salmon, trout and pike, and never freezes; a sloop of 60 tons burthen is continually sailing on this lake to supply Fort Augustus from Inverness.

You have provided a quote giving details of the dimentions of Loch Ness, this says nothing about the river. Supplies from Inverness would have been transported overland to Loch Dochfour which would be the closest point that a sloop would get. It certainly would not be able to navigate to the mouth of the river.

Go here for some photos of the river. Here is the text under one photo:

In this view, Inverness Castle is on the right, and St. Andrews Cathedral is on the left. Anglers frequently walk across the river wearing waders in this area. The river is about 100 metres wide, and between 30 and 100 cm deep. After heavy storms the river can rise to the level of the footbridge walkway.

The river is no more than 1 metre deep across its width in places. Other photos show the Ness Islands. These islands are further obstacles restricting the navigable width of the river.

Calilasseia wrote:From here, we learn of a sloop called the Princess Royal, operating in the waters around Vancouver in the late 1780s, and the statistics for this vessel are:

Burthen: 65 tons
Crew: 15
Length: 43 feet
Beam: 16 feet
Draught: 8 feet when laden.

So we have here an account that a vessel of similar size to a large plesiosaur could navigate the relevant waters.

No "belief" involved

CharlieM wrote: But belief is not knowledge and in this case his belief is ill-founded. Canoes are about the only boats you'll see navigating the river. Anything larger than this which travels between Loch Ness and the Moray Firth does not go via the river.

Maybe not now, after the construction of the Caledonian Canal, but before said canal construction, boats of the requisite size did navigate the waters in question. The 60 ton sloop mentioned in the above old account could not "supply fort Augustus from Inverness" without navigating those waters.

Any sloop operating in the loch did not get there by sailing up the river. Here is an example (other than construction on site) of how such a vessel could be seen on the loch.

A garrison was also stationed at Inverlochy where another citadel at the head of Loch Linnhe was built in 1654. In 1690 a larger fort was built on the same site and named Fort William, after the King. To supply this garrison, Cromwell's men dragged a barque overland in late 1651 on rollers to Loch Ness, three seven-inch cables were snapped in the process. The barque was converted into a Frigate with four guns and a crew of 60 men

Are you going to admit you were wrong when you stated that in relation to a 50 foot animal , "boats larger than this navigate the river regularly"?
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#27  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 05, 2013 3:13 pm

lobawad wrote:Nessie Schmessie, it's Amy Pond that's got my sonar going Ping! Ping!

More like "BOING!".
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 05, 2013 3:57 pm

dvada191 wrote:I think all science textbooks should teach about the Loch Ness. I mean, just give them the evidence and let them decide. Teach the controversy!

I wonder if Christian educational institutions would be willing to teach the 'controversy' of claims made in the bible.

I'm guessing not.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism