Noah's Ark would have floated...even with 70,000 animals!

Evilutionists owned.

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Noah's Ark would have floated...even with 70,000 animals!

#1  Postby Animavore » Apr 03, 2014 8:14 am

Scientists at the University of Leicester have discovered that Noah's Ark could have carried 70,000 animals without sinking if built from the dimensions listed in The Bible.

Noah’s Ark would have floated even with two of every animal in the world packed inside, scientists have calculated.
Although researchers are unsure if all the creatures could have squeezed into the huge boat, they are confident it would have handled the weight of 70,000 creatures without sinking.
A group of master’s students from the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Leicester University studied the exact dimensions of the Ark, set out in Genesis 6:13-22.

[cont.]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... imals.html
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Noah's Ark would have floated...even with 70,000 animals!

#2  Postby Matt_B » Apr 03, 2014 8:16 am

Someone remind me just how many species of animals there are on the planet.

I'm pretty sure that it was a much bigger number than 35,000 when I last looked.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Blackadder » Apr 03, 2014 8:26 am

Matt_B wrote:Someone remind me just how many species of animals there are on the planet.

I'm pretty sure that it was a much bigger number than 35,000 when I last looked.

I understand there are an estimated 350,000 species just of beetles. Estimates of the global species count is somewhere around 8.7million of which 7.7 million are animals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14616161.

Of course the physics department at Leicester University probably isn't too strong on animal husbandry. You might be able to pack 70,000 animals into a God-barge that size. They'd start to die pretty quickly though.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 03, 2014 8:32 am

70,000 of which creatures. There's a big difference between 70,000 insects and 70,000 large mammals. And just to ruin it slightly more, I once worked in a zoo. The amount of food required per day is ridiculous. So how long did they need (fresh) food supplies for again?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Apr 03, 2014 8:37 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:70,000 of which creatures. There's a big difference between 70,000 insects and 70,000 large mammals. And just to ruin it slightly more, I once worked in a zoo. The amount of food required per day is ridiculous. So how long did they need (fresh) food supplies for again?

Well the article just says you can squeeze them on and it will float. I don't think they are trying to support the myth, hence the lack detail on how to maintain them.
I was wondering about the sizes of the animals myself. Maybe they were going for average sized mammals or something.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby trubble76 » Apr 03, 2014 9:00 am

I thought there were 2 of each unclean animal but 7 of each clean animal?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 03, 2014 9:01 am

I'd just like to point out that a lot of the animals were to be brought on in groups of 7, not 2.

Oops, too late.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Fenrir » Apr 03, 2014 9:03 am

The article suggests a volume of their calculated size would float with their calculated weight on board.

That's all I can read into it.

It's a very long way from there to fitting the volume of their selected animals inside such a space and a longer way to demonstrating such a structure would have the structural integrity to stay together. Not to mention several other factors like air to breathe, managing not to crush all but the top layers, food and waste management.

Maybe there was more to their task than reported, I'm trying to work out why high school students couldn't perform the same simple buoyancy calculation.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#9  Postby quisquose » Apr 03, 2014 9:05 am

Previous research has suggested that there were approximately 35,000 species of animals which would have needed to be saved by Noah

Research? Suggested?

Suggested by who, Ken Ham?
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby catbasket » Apr 03, 2014 9:10 am

trubble76 wrote:I thought there were 2 of each unclean animal but 7 of each clean animal?

According to my clock I thought of that first.

I'm With Stupid wrote:I'd just like to point out that a lot of the animals were to be brought on in groups of 7, not 2.

Oops, too late.

And that.

When if ever will the forum show the correct time on posts? :waah:
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby trubble76 » Apr 03, 2014 9:12 am

catbasket wrote:
trubble76 wrote:I thought there were 2 of each unclean animal but 7 of each clean animal?

According to my clock I thought of that first.

I'm With Stupid wrote:I'd just like to point out that a lot of the animals were to be brought on in groups of 7, not 2.

Oops, too late.

And that.

When if ever will the forum show the correct time on posts? :waah:

I have always been considered slow by my peers. Consider my post an echo or something.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Matt_B » Apr 03, 2014 10:25 am

Animavore wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:70,000 of which creatures. There's a big difference between 70,000 insects and 70,000 large mammals. And just to ruin it slightly more, I once worked in a zoo. The amount of food required per day is ridiculous. So how long did they need (fresh) food supplies for again?

Well the article just says you can squeeze them on and it will float. I don't think they are trying to support the myth, hence the lack detail on how to maintain them.
I was wondering about the sizes of the animals myself. Maybe they were going for average sized mammals or something.

Given that they're physicists, I suspect that they're probably assuming spherical mammals. ;)
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Sgt Kelly » Apr 03, 2014 10:49 am

Some tit wrote:

Scientists...

A group of master’s students...

Journalism fail.

You see it would have been a tragedy if actual scientists had spent actual paid hours on this utter guff.

Fortunately it looks like it was just students having a bit of fun.

But hey, let nothing get in the way of a good headline.
Sgt Kelly

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Fenrir » Apr 03, 2014 10:54 am

Published 5 papers from my masters. Who was to know I was just having a bit of fun?

I.E. there is nothing to stop Masters students doing actual science, particularly if they are doing a masters by thesis and not a masters by course-work.

Mind you, I agree with you that it appears no novel science was in danger of being done during this event.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby mingthething » Apr 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Matt_B wrote:Someone remind me just how many species of animals there are on the planet.

Because baranome magic and created kinds, that's why. Don't question God again. :dance: :dance:
mingthething

Name: Lee

Malaysia (my)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Alan B » Apr 03, 2014 12:47 pm

And are 'they' going to re-evaluate this important 'research' using the latest Babylonian tablet info?

Babylonian Noah's Ark
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby laklak » Apr 03, 2014 12:50 pm

As a long time power and sail boater, I can assure you there is one great big fuck off difference between "float" and "survive for months in the biggest goddamned storm in the planet's history without either power or sails". A canoe floats nicely, but it wouldn't be my choice of vessels in which to ride out a Cat 5 hurricane.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 03, 2014 12:54 pm

A couple of observations ...

[1] How did Mr 600 Year Old Barge Captain know the difference between co-called "clean" and "unclean" animals, 1,700 years before the requisite statements on this subject first appeared in Leviticus?

[2] The count for beetles has recently been cited as 400,000 species known to science. The "big five" taxonomic Orders of insects alone account for a million species between them.

[3] Given that assorted creationists think that dinosaurs were on their favourite fantasy floating petting zoo, did any of the people involved in this project factor in the need to accommodate ninety Genera of Sauropods ... note, that's Genera, not species. Count the species, and the total for Sauropods alone comes to something like 250. The smallest of these was 30 feet long and 15 tons, whilst the largest (if one takes Argentinosaurus as the benchmark, the species for which rigorous data exists in this respect) was possibly as long as 130 feet, and possibly 100 tons in weight. Someone tell me how the hell you put even one of these animals on a boat, let alone 500 of them.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby laklak » Apr 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Alan B wrote:And are 'they' going to re-evaluate this important 'research' using the latest Babylonian tablet info?

Babylonian Noah's Ark

Actually, a circular craft would be more seaworthy than the traditional version. Can't broach a circular craft, and a hull of reinforced, waterproofed woven rope is less likely to break up than a rigid wooden vessel.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism