L'histoire se repete

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Placental stuff

#1  Postby bert » May 05, 2013 12:28 pm

On the role of viruses in placentas.
blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/2012/02/14/mammals-made-by-viruses/

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Re: Placental stuff

#2  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2013 10:06 am

bert wrote:On the role of viruses in placentas.
blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/2012/02/14/mammals-made-by-viruses/

Bert

Strictly speaking, of course, the article should have been entitled "PLACENTAL mammals made by viruses", because the kinds still found in Australia do not have these things, but are nevertheless considered to be mammals. What ALL mammals have in common is lactation.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Oeditor » May 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Interesting discussion there, too. One poster just about suggests viruses are the Designer beloved of creationists :-) I'll make a more modest suggestion: "kinds" are groups of animals with ERVs common to their members and only their members. :evilgrin:
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Hmm....I see that a guy called Peter Borger, on the discover website, has a bee in his bonnet about ERVs not being viral insertions at all. His main reason seems to be that they are just transposable element involved in the regulatory genome. How that prevents them from originating from viruses is not clear. He goes on to claim that RNA viruses originate from TEs in the genome rather than vice versa. How all this is supposed to be incompatible with an ERV source for the genes is not clear.
The case for ERVs being just that:
http://www.evolutionarymodel.com/ervs.htm
Incidentally, remind me - why is this thread on the creationism forum? Could it be that someone confused "Discover magazine" with the creationist "Discovery magazine"? One poster being a creationist does not mean the whole website is,or even the whole blog.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shrunk » May 06, 2013 7:14 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Hmm....I see that a guy called Peter Borger, on the discover website, has a bee in his bonnet about ERVs not being viral insertions at all. His main reason seems to be that they are just transposable element involved in the regulatory genome. How that prevents them from originating from viruses is not clear. He goes on to claim that RNA viruses originate from TEs in the genome rather than vice versa. How all this is supposed to be incompatible with an ERV source for the genes is not clear.

What a clown! At one point he asks "Did you guys ever hear about the RNA virus paradox?" Actually, no, I haven't. So I Google it, and the first hit that comes up is this, which in turn points to a series of articles in "The Journal (sic) of Creation" by...Peter Borger.

Maybe there's a reason we've never heard of it...
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Shrunk wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Hmm....I see that a guy called Peter Borger, on the discover website, has a bee in his bonnet about ERVs not being viral insertions at all. His main reason seems to be that they are just transposable element involved in the regulatory genome. How that prevents them from originating from viruses is not clear. He goes on to claim that RNA viruses originate from TEs in the genome rather than vice versa. How all this is supposed to be incompatible with an ERV source for the genes is not clear.

What a clown! At one point he asks "Did you guys ever hear about the RNA virus paradox?" Actually, no, I haven't. So I Google it, and the first hit that comes up is this, which in turn points to a series of articles in "The Journal (sic) of Creation" by...Peter Borger.

Maybe there's a reason we've never heard of it...

Thanks for finding that, Shrunk. Now we know his previously hidden agenda. However, AFAIK, the Discover website does not support his views.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby bert » May 06, 2013 8:50 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Incidentally, remind me - why is this thread on the creationism forum? Could it be that someone confused "Discover magazine" with the creationist "Discovery magazine"? One poster being a creationist does not mean the whole website is,or even the whole blog.

Ehm, well, this subforum is the only one I visit. And in a future discussion anyone could benefit from knowing a couple of additional facts of life.

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Shrunk » May 06, 2013 11:59 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Thanks for finding that, Shrunk. Now we know his previously hidden agenda. However, AFAIK, the Discover website does not support his views.

If his agenda was supposed to be "hidden", he did a pretty piss-poor job of hiding it.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Darwinsbulldog » May 07, 2013 12:06 am

Viruses are just chunks of code casted adrift, some of whom became infectious. And the odd infectious agent can happen to produce a trait that confers fitness. No mystery or controversy here.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#10  Postby DavidMcC » May 07, 2013 9:57 am

Shrunk wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Thanks for finding that, Shrunk. Now we know his previously hidden agenda. However, AFAIK, the Discover website does not support his views.

If his agenda was supposed to be "hidden", he did a pretty piss-poor job of hiding it.

I meant his posts on "Discovery". There, he did not mention anything about religion.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby DavidMcC » May 07, 2013 10:21 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Viruses are just chunks of code casted adrift, some of whom became infectious. And the odd infectious agent can happen to produce a trait that confers fitness. No mystery or controversy here.

Umm, isn't that the idea that Borger is pushing? The reality is that they are far from "naked DNA" (or RNA), and have the structure of a kind of hyperparasitic organism, adapted to hijack living cells. As I'm sure you know, according to the "RNA-world" theory, non-parasitic RNA replicators were the original life on earth. They must have been very slow to reproduce until some evolved by turning their geometry inside out, converting the "sugar coating" into a sugar "back-bone", leaving the coding material free to make cell membranes and fill the cell with the chemicals they need to grow and divide.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby DavidMcC » May 07, 2013 12:09 pm

I assume that the coat had a function in the pre-cellular world, and that that function was to protect the RNA during the long wait for useful molecules to approach.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Darwinsbulldog » May 07, 2013 2:31 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:Viruses are just chunks of code casted adrift, some of whom became infectious. And the odd infectious agent can happen to produce a trait that confers fitness. No mystery or controversy here.

Umm, isn't that the idea that Borger is pushing? The reality is that they are far from "naked DNA" (or RNA), and have the structure of a kind of hyperparasitic organism, adapted to hijack living cells. As I'm sure you know, according to the "RNA-world" theory, non-parasitic RNA replicators were the original life on earth. They must have been very slow to reproduce until some evolved by turning their geometry inside out, converting the "sugar coating" into a sugar "back-bone", leaving the coding material free to make cell membranes and fill the cell with the chemicals they need to grow and divide.

Yups. I didn't mean they were Naked, naked-they had a bikini on. Some RNA has a half-life of minutes, so of course they would be protected by a coating. I jist meant that they were not a chunk of cell breaking away. And the infection of mammals with placental "viruses" happened way long after the OOL.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#14  Postby DavidMcC » May 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Yups. I didn't mean they were Naked, naked-they had a bikini on. Some RNA has a half-life of minutes, so of course they would be protected by a coating. I jist meant that they were not a chunk of cell breaking away. And the infection of mammals with placental "viruses" happened way long after the OOL.

OK, but it was not obvious to me that you meant that.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Shrunk » May 07, 2013 3:04 pm

DavidMcC wrote: I meant his posts on "Discovery". There, he did not mention anything about religion.

Evolution denial is always about religion.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby DavidMcC » May 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Shrunk wrote:
DavidMcC wrote: I meant his posts on "Discovery". There, he did not mention anything about religion.

Sure, but even our site has this kind of poster, so I don't know why that particular thread went straight to the creationism forum, without any mention of Borger being the problem. The main topic could have been purely about the scientific merits of the ERV model vs. other scientific models of the same mammalian genes.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Shrunk » May 07, 2013 3:58 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

Sure, but even our site has this kind of poster, so I don't know why that particular thread went straight to the creationism forum, without any mention of Borger being the problem. The main topic could have been purely about the scientific merits of the ERV model vs. other scientific models of the same mammalian genes.

It seems because bert put it here. I agree, it belongs in the real science section.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Darwinsbulldog » May 08, 2013 1:00 am

DavidMcC wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

OK, but it was not obvious to me that you meant that.

Well, of course it all happened in 7 days so what's a few hours difference between friends! :thumbup: :)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Return to Creationism