Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

Yet again proving the Bible right!

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#21  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jul 27, 2014 5:32 am

epepke wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:It's all part of the business of dishonestly treating science as a branch of apologetics, all the better to keep the shekels flowing from the idiot inbreeds.


Dramatically put, but yes. The more I see of these people, the more I am convinced that it is a radically different system of thought.

Start with the idea that the Bible is right as primary. Ignore the idea that reality is real. Then science just becomes a way of supporting what one already knows of the Truth from the Bible. Ignore science entirely, or use it as a means of illustrating the Bible.


It is futile to go chasing reality. What science does is to test our delusions about reality by making models of natural phenomena. This non-realist approach at least insures that claims are subjected to scrutiny and tested via an agreed means. Religion merely claims reality in an untestable way. Thus even the most innocuous religions cause harm, by "forcing" science and its friends to engage in a non-issue like reality.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog
 
Posts: 7440
Age: 66

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#22  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 27, 2014 6:39 am

According to bible the Earth is the centre of the universe.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43119
Age: 72
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#23  Postby epepke » Jul 27, 2014 6:45 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
epepke wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:It's all part of the business of dishonestly treating science as a branch of apologetics, all the better to keep the shekels flowing from the idiot inbreeds.


Dramatically put, but yes. The more I see of these people, the more I am convinced that it is a radically different system of thought.

Start with the idea that the Bible is right as primary. Ignore the idea that reality is real. Then science just becomes a way of supporting what one already knows of the Truth from the Bible. Ignore science entirely, or use it as a means of illustrating the Bible.


It is futile to go chasing reality. What science does is to test our delusions about reality by making models of natural phenomena. This non-realist approach at least insures that claims are subjected to scrutiny and tested via an agreed means. Religion merely claims reality in an untestable way. Thus even the most innocuous religions cause harm, by "forcing" science and its friends to engage in a non-issue like reality.


Very nice Poe.
User avatar
epepke
 
Posts: 4080

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#24  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jul 27, 2014 7:40 am

epepke wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:
epepke wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:It's all part of the business of dishonestly treating science as a branch of apologetics, all the better to keep the shekels flowing from the idiot inbreeds.


Dramatically put, but yes. The more I see of these people, the more I am convinced that it is a radically different system of thought.

Start with the idea that the Bible is right as primary. Ignore the idea that reality is real. Then science just becomes a way of supporting what one already knows of the Truth from the Bible. Ignore science entirely, or use it as a means of illustrating the Bible.


It is futile to go chasing reality. What science does is to test our delusions about reality by making models of natural phenomena. This non-realist approach at least insures that claims are subjected to scrutiny and tested via an agreed means. Religion merely claims reality in an untestable way. Thus even the most innocuous religions cause harm, by "forcing" science and its friends to engage in a non-issue like reality.


Very nice Poe.

Not a POE. Think about it. :thumbup:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog
 
Posts: 7440
Age: 66

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#25  Postby mingthething » Jul 27, 2014 11:37 am

Image

He redeemed himself a little bit for acknowledging his error later. (although he just couldn't resist throwing some feeble parting shots as well . Classic fallacies such as 'Newton believed in God, therefore he did good physics because he believed in God' . )Photo courtesy of PZ Myers' blog. Please don't ban this post. I'm not sure how copyright law works around here.
Full credit to Pharyngula and Ray Comfort
User avatar
mingthething
 
Name: Lee
Posts: 185

Country: Singapore
Malaysia (my)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#26  Postby Shrunk » Jul 27, 2014 11:51 am

Acknowledges the mistake, then makes it all over again. "Invisible gravity in space"? What does "visible" gravity look like? And he still thinks there is some mysterious divine force holding the earth in place. Because I guess there is some supermassive object at the "bottom" of the universe whose gravity would pull us down there if Baby Jesus wasn't holding us in place.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 56
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#27  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Jul 27, 2014 11:58 am

Is this really a biblical insight now? Did the bible scribes really intend to tell us, that while there is a force holding the earth in a stable orbit in space, that force would definitely be invisible. Why is that an important distinction to make?

Then there's a question of why the divinely inspired scribes decided that of all the insights into physics they could give us, this was a priority.
User avatar
Ihavenofingerprints
 
Posts: 6903
Age: 28
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#28  Postby BlackBart » Jul 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Up until today, I was on the many who believed that there is zero gravity in space.


Well that's the pitfall of just believing stuff, RayRay, you end up looking like a fucking idiot.

While there is invisible gravity in space, this massive Earth hangs on nothing.


Do you genuinely think you've found a 'gotcha' there RayRay? If there's gravity in space then what's stopping the Earth from falling? Checkmate, atheists! :teef:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12245
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#29  Postby Evolving » Jul 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Doesn't "hanging", whether on something or on nothing, imply that the Earth is stationary?
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
User avatar
Evolving
 
Name: Serafina Pekkala
Posts: 11993
Female

Country: Luxembourg
Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#30  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 27, 2014 7:27 pm

I wonder what the stupid prick thinks that makes compass needles behave as they do.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21078
Age: 58
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#31  Postby Weaver » Jul 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Evolving wrote:Ah, I think he has seen films of astronauts apparently weightless and assumes this is so because they are outside the Earth's gravitational field, instead of in free fall.

Astronauts are not outside the Earth's gravitational field.

It's just that they are in orbit.
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 52
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#32  Postby Evolving » Jul 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Yes.

In free fall, in fact.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
User avatar
Evolving
 
Name: Serafina Pekkala
Posts: 11993
Female

Country: Luxembourg
Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#33  Postby Weaver » Jul 27, 2014 7:40 pm

Evolving wrote:Yes.

In free fall, in fact.

Sure.
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 52
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#34  Postby Shrunk » Jul 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Evolving wrote:Yes.

In free fall, in fact.


Which means the only force acting on them is gravity.

I remember reading an article on John Kennedy Jr's fatal air crash, which theorized that it resulted from his ignoring the information from his instruments which told him he was falling. A pilot offered to demonstrate to the reporter how this could happen by going into a full dive while the reporter kept his eyes closed. The reporter sat back and waited a minute, feeling as if he wasn't moving at all, but just as he was about to say "Anytime you're ready" he suddenly felt himself violently jolted back into his seat as the pilot pulled out of the dive they had been in and told him "We just fell 1000 feet."
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 56
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#35  Postby BlackBart » Jul 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Weaver wrote:
Evolving wrote:Ah, I think he has seen films of astronauts apparently weightless and assumes this is so because they are outside the Earth's gravitational field, instead of in free fall.

Astronauts are not outside the Earth's gravitational field.

It's just that they are in orbit.


It's basically throwing yourself at the ground and missing. :dopey:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Name: rotten bart
Posts: 12245
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#36  Postby Weaver » Jul 27, 2014 8:33 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Weaver wrote:
Evolving wrote:Ah, I think he has seen films of astronauts apparently weightless and assumes this is so because they are outside the Earth's gravitational field, instead of in free fall.

Astronauts are not outside the Earth's gravitational field.

It's just that they are in orbit.


It's basically throwing yourself at the ground and missing. :dopey:

Yep.

There is an art, or rather a knack, to it.
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 52
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#37  Postby Macdoc » Jul 28, 2014 1:55 am

Let's put him out the airlock and see if he is correct?

Mayb he can swim back. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 17156
Age: 73
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#38  Postby mingthething » Jul 28, 2014 3:14 am

BlackBart wrote:
Weaver wrote:
Evolving wrote:Ah, I think he has seen films of astronauts apparently weightless and assumes this is so because they are outside the Earth's gravitational field, instead of in free fall.

Astronauts are not outside the Earth's gravitational field.

It's just that they are in orbit.


It's basically throwing yourself at the ground and missing. :dopey:


Eventually your orbit will decay and you won't miss.
User avatar
mingthething
 
Name: Lee
Posts: 185

Country: Singapore
Malaysia (my)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#39  Postby Steve » Jul 28, 2014 3:28 am

BlackBart wrote:
Weaver wrote:
Evolving wrote:Ah, I think he has seen films of astronauts apparently weightless and assumes this is so because they are outside the Earth's gravitational field, instead of in free fall.

Astronauts are not outside the Earth's gravitational field.

It's just that they are in orbit.


It's basically throwing yourself at the ground and missing. :dopey:

If Ray tries this I wish him every success. :pray:
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
User avatar
Steve
RS Donator
 
Posts: 6908
Age: 66
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort: "Gravity doesn't exist in space."

#40  Postby Evolving » Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am

Just to address any misconception that may have arisen from mentioning orbits (and to give me a chance to pontificate on physics again...):

Free fall is, as Shrunk pointed out, a technical term meaning that gravity is the only force affecting you (all other forces are of negligible strength). Any object in space that is not being impelled by some thrusting thing like a rocket or an ion drive is in free fall in this sense; it doesn't matter which trajectory it is on.

If you are in a spacecraft that is in free fall, and you take that spacecraft as your frame of reference, then there is no preferred direction within that frame, as there is while standing on the ground: you can float equally readily in any direction you like within that frame of reference and it will seem to you as if you have no weight.

A spacecraft on the way to the Moon is in free fall, and so are the people inside it. Consequently, those people will experience what seems to be weightlessness.

It was my conjecture (and Comfort seems to bear this out in his second post, in which he reports on the corrections he has received) that it was seeing footage like this that misled him into thinking that there is no gravity in space.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
User avatar
Evolving
 
Name: Serafina Pekkala
Posts: 11993
Female

Country: Luxembourg
Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest