Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

There is no end to this stupidity

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#1  Postby Rumraket » Aug 19, 2020 10:00 am

So this one turned up in my youtube recommended videos this morning:

Besides the absolutely hilarious idea of Ray Comfort and Ken Ham, deeply conservative right-wing Christian evangelicals, being oh so concerned about racism and gender equality, I still couldn't have anticipated the sheer stupidity of what came later.

Ken Ham and Ray Comfort are of course well-known for their legendary stupidity, but I have to admit I was astonished to see Ray Comfort is EVEN NOW, TODAY, IN 2020, still pushing the "the first male had to wait millions of years for the first female"-argument. Despite having had it explained to him over and over again, many many hundreds of times over the last 10-15 years, how ridiculous that is.

How is it possible for one man to be incapable of absorbing such an elementary thing? Yes, he still believes that evolution says that at some point, an actual chimpanzee birthed an anatomically modern human male, and then this human male would have to wander around aimlessly for millions of years before another chimp birthed a human female for this male to mate with.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 13211
Age: 39

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#2  Postby Rumraket » Aug 19, 2020 10:03 am

I suppose that the great irony here is that I too am incapable of absorbing the lesson that some people are incapable of absorbing any information at all.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 13211
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#3  Postby Animavore » Aug 19, 2020 10:27 am

Rumraket wrote:I suppose that the great irony here is that I too am incapable of absorbing the lesson that some people are incapable of absorbing any information at all.


I sometimes would wonder if he really does understand well and that he's just trolling and being dishonest because this is his living at stake.
I think the reality is that that is the charitable view.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44202
Age: 41
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#4  Postby laklak » Aug 19, 2020 2:56 pm

What did the dude do, hump chimpanzees for a million years?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20716
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#5  Postby aban57 » Aug 19, 2020 3:02 pm

There's a debate between Matt Dillahunty and Aaron Ra, the former thinks that RC genuinely thinks what he says, and the latter doesn't. I think they're both right. In some specific peripheral points, that could potentially shake his belief, he just shuts down the dissoning voice in his head, more or less consciously. For the rest, he's the living embodiement of Morton's Demon.
aban57
 
Name: Cindy
Posts: 7358
Age: 41
Female

Country: France
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#6  Postby Blackadder » Aug 19, 2020 3:57 pm

Cognitive dissonance. With an extra topping of Lying for Jesus.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
User avatar
Blackadder
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3737
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#7  Postby Svartalf » Aug 19, 2020 4:13 pm

laklak wrote:What did the dude do, hump chimpanzees for a million years?

You don't understand, that was a scientific experiment to prove they were an unrelated species. since he begat no moron/chimp hybrid, the experience must be a success in his eyes.

Me, I regret the failure somewhat, I'd have been overjoyed to learn that rc had managed to have offspring more intelligent and handsome than istelf.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 2372
Age: 50
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#8  Postby Rumraket » Aug 19, 2020 5:10 pm

Animavore wrote:
Rumraket wrote:I suppose that the great irony here is that I too am incapable of absorbing the lesson that some people are incapable of absorbing any information at all.


I sometimes would wonder if he really does understand well and that he's just trolling and being dishonest because this is his living at stake.
I think the reality is that that is the charitable view.

Heh, yeah it seems to me there is no interpretation possible that doesn't reflect badly on Ray Comfort. He's either a liar, or extremely biased to the point that he can't think on certain subjects, or generally not cognitively equipped to fathom the concept. The last one just seems too extreme, as it would imply he'd fall over on his bicycle if he tried to chew gum. None of the options are mutually exclusive of course. He could be some combination of dumb, dishonest, and deluded. :lol:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 13211
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#9  Postby laklak » Aug 19, 2020 6:58 pm

I don't understand his special type of stupidity, but I admire his tenacity.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20716
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#10  Postby Alan C » Aug 23, 2020 11:48 pm

Recently during a chat with SO I remembered this prat. I don't recall the specifics but it was perhaps something to do with bananas and/or intelligent design because I explained Ray's notion that the banana fits perfectly in his hand therefore ID [I didn't expand on it also being the right size for Kirk Cameron's arsehole].
I hadn't thought he was still relevant today.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
User avatar
Alan C
 
Posts: 2370
Age: 44
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#11  Postby Alan B » Aug 24, 2020 10:27 am

He was never relevant, except to other stupids like himself.


(Wow! I've used a 'full-stop' - that's aggresive, man... :doh: )
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 84
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#12  Postby The_Piper » Aug 24, 2020 1:11 pm

Animavore wrote:
Rumraket wrote:I suppose that the great irony here is that I too am incapable of absorbing the lesson that some people are incapable of absorbing any information at all.


I sometimes would wonder if he really does understand well and that he's just trolling and being dishonest because this is his living at stake.
I think the reality is that that is the charitable view.

I always wonder that. Actually I expect that it's the case. Not because he's smart, but because no one's that dumb. Kinda like Glenn Beck.
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 27814
Age: 45
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#13  Postby laklak » Aug 24, 2020 2:43 pm

He's not worth a lot of money from what I can find online, max around a million U.S. total.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20716
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#14  Postby Animavore » Aug 24, 2020 3:00 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Rumraket wrote:I suppose that the great irony here is that I too am incapable of absorbing the lesson that some people are incapable of absorbing any information at all.


I sometimes would wonder if he really does understand well and that he's just trolling and being dishonest because this is his living at stake.
I think the reality is that that is the charitable view.

I always wonder that. Actually I expect that it's the case. Not because he's smart, but because no one's that dumb. Kinda like Glenn Beck.

Ah! Faith in human intelligence. I remember that from pre-2016.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44202
Age: 41
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#15  Postby The_Piper » Aug 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Animavore wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Rumraket wrote:I suppose that the great irony here is that I too am incapable of absorbing the lesson that some people are incapable of absorbing any information at all.


I sometimes would wonder if he really does understand well and that he's just trolling and being dishonest because this is his living at stake.
I think the reality is that that is the charitable view.

I always wonder that. Actually I expect that it's the case. Not because he's smart, but because no one's that dumb. Kinda like Glenn Beck.

Ah! Faith in human intelligence. I remember that from pre-2016.

Good point, my bad. :lol: :waah: :waah:
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 27814
Age: 45
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#16  Postby Hermit » Aug 25, 2020 1:21 am

Animavore wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Rumraket wrote:I suppose that the great irony here is that I too am incapable of absorbing the lesson that some people are incapable of absorbing any information at all.


I sometimes would wonder if he really does understand well and that he's just trolling and being dishonest because this is his living at stake.
I think the reality is that that is the charitable view.

I always wonder that. Actually I expect that it's the case. Not because he's smart, but because no one's that dumb. Kinda like Glenn Beck.

Ah! Faith in human intelligence. I remember that from pre-2016.

As if intelligence were a prophylactic for having utterly stupid ideas. Isaac Newton tried to determine the exact age of the universe by studying Genesis. He actually spent more of his time studying the Bible than doing science.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3969
Age: 67
Male

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#17  Postby Svartalf » Aug 25, 2020 8:51 am

Not to mention that he's notorious for dabbling in alchemy...
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 2372
Age: 50
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#18  Postby Hermit » Aug 25, 2020 9:57 am

Svartalf wrote:Not to mention that he's notorious for dabbling in alchemy...

Newton certainly missed the bus driven by Antoine Lavoisier, who is generally considered to be the father of modern chemistry, but that may have something to do with the fact that Newton died 17 years before Lavoisier was born.

One other person whose intelligence cannot be doubted, yet has no shortage of really stupid ideas, is Ben Shapiro. Having skipped fifth and ninth grade he graduated from high school at the age of 16 in 2000, he obtained his BA (political science) summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from the University of California, Los Angeles in 2004 and JD cum laude from Harvard Law School in 2007. Yet, he opposes abortion even when conception was caused by rape or incest, and apparently regards sexual arousal in women as a medical malady. In regard to the latter he recently scored a spectacular own-goal by citing the opinion of his own wife by way of substantiation.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3969
Age: 67
Male

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#19  Postby Seabass » Aug 25, 2020 6:30 pm

lmao@ "his wife's DAP" :lol:
"No, no, no, not God bless America. God damn America!" —Reverend Jeremiah Wright
User avatar
Seabass
 
Name: Antifa Provocateur
Posts: 3183

Country: Covidiocracy
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort is still espousing brainmelting arguments

#20  Postby Arcanyn » Aug 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Ken Ham and Ray Comfort are of course well-known for their legendary stupidity, but I have to admit I was astonished to see Ray Comfort is EVEN NOW, TODAY, IN 2020, still pushing the "the first male had to wait millions of years for the first female"-argument. Despite having had it explained to him over and over again, many many hundreds of times over the last 10-15 years, how ridiculous that is.

How is it possible for one man to be incapable of absorbing such an elementary thing? Yes, he still believes that evolution says that at some point, an actual chimpanzee birthed an anatomically modern human male, and then this human male would have to wander around aimlessly for millions of years before another chimp birthed a human female for this male to mate with.


There's a lot more going on than a mere failure of comprehension. What it boils down to is an overwhelming need to feel superior. The stupidity of the argument isn't an oversight - it's the point. It's a strawman of his opponent's position, designed to make them look stupid, so that he can laugh about how stupid they are, and consequently tell himself how much smarter he is than them. The fact that this strawman bears no resemblance to his opponent's position just isn't important to him - he desperately needs his opponents to be deeply stupid in order to elevate himself. His ego simply cannot handle the idea that there exist people on the planet who are smarter than he is, so he avoids that reality by pretending that every other person is a blithering idiot. It will never be possible to correct him on that strawman because he derives an enormous amount of self-worth from it - he would sooner gouge his own eyes out with a paperclip than admit that he isn't the smartest person on the planet. He has an intense emotional need for his opponents to be idiots, and as such will warp reality to whatever degree necessary in order to keep that fantasy alive.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
User avatar
Arcanyn
 
Posts: 1474
Age: 35
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

cron