Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

Evolution vs God

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#1  Postby Bribase » Jul 11, 2013 7:29 am

Full playlist here.

It's amazing to think that over the years that Ray bananaman Comfort has had evolution explained to him by some of the foremost evolutionary biologists living today. He still thinks that changing from one "kind" to another, and in real-time no less would be valid evidence of evolution.
User avatar
Bribase
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 2671
Age: 39
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#2  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Jul 11, 2013 7:40 am

I think the target audience is creationist morons so it's not surprising to see so many dumb statements in the space of a few minutes. I stopped watching after the first few conversations, it's not like he's come up with anything new.

If he understood how science worked he'd try to convince them by solving a biology problem on the assumption that the world is 6000 years old and Jesus is manipulating the DNA of different "kinds" of animals. Not by repeatedly asking biologists to show him a species branching off from one another within the space of 5 seconds.
User avatar
Ihavenofingerprints
 
Posts: 6903
Age: 27
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#3  Postby Rumraket » Jul 11, 2013 8:08 am

Bribase wrote:Full playlist here.

It's amazing to think that over the years that Ray bananaman Comfort has had evolution explained to him by some of the foremost evolutionary biologists living today. He still thinks that changing from one "kind" to another, and in real-time no less would be valid evidence of evolution.

And that biologists think dogs evolved before they had eyes. That male dogs evolved before female dogs, that they had male genitalia for all this time without females around and that suddenly female dogs evolved with matching genitalia. He then says it would be ridiculous to believe this and that therfore we shouldn't.

:picard:

He's a dishonest piece of shit and I really wish people would catch on and tell him this, and that he should go fuck himself every time he tried to "interview" them.

"Mr Ray comfort, I refuse to be interviewed by a professional liar, please leave me alone."

This line should just be repeated. Never respond to anyting else he says with anything but that line.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
 
Posts: 13215
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#4  Postby Blackadder » Jul 11, 2013 8:44 am

He is feeding his audience what they want. It doesn't have to be good for them. In that regard he is the religious equivalent of the fast food industry. Fill your customers full of cheap addictive shit and keep them oscillating between happy stupor and self-loathing that can only be assuaged by another fix of the shit you sell.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
User avatar
Blackadder
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3773
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#5  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 11, 2013 8:54 am

I have just watched Part One that was quite interesting to say the least so here are my observations

Ray Comfort needs to understand that Evolution occurs over cosmic time and that it is therefore not
possible to give examples of it doing so in a human lifespan : Which is why he asks it of everyone he
Interviews : That does not invalidate it however : And her does not get to tell Nature how to operate

I am surprised that no one told him that insects : birds : fish : reptiles : mammals are all descended from
single cell self replicating bacteria that was the first lifeform from which everything subsequently evolved
So any transition from bacteria to plant and animal would have answered that question relating to change
of kind : His attempt to frame it with in a human life span is pure strawman though : But if he references
non observability as a reason not to accept Evolution then the same can apply to God too : The difference
is that Evolution has been falsified where as God has not : Though if he still wants some evidence then all
he has to do is just go look in the mirror : As all the proof he needs shall be staring right back at him now

I would like to see him ask his questions to Aron Ra : That would be interesting : I would pay money for that
Aron Ra would patiently listen to his strawmen then defeat them with logic and reason and quietly walk away

And his phrasing is wrong too : Though again pure strawman : One does not believe in Evolution : One accepts
it as a falsified theory in just the same way one accepts say Gravity or General Relativity or Electromagnetism
So those who said they believe in it were wrong : Because belief is for that which cannot be proven or falsified
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10195

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#6  Postby Fenrir » Jul 11, 2013 9:05 am

It is extraordinarily easy to give examples of evolution occurring in less than a human lifetime. Such has been demonstrated time and time again.

Any bibliophile would know that.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
User avatar
Fenrir
 
Posts: 3608
Male

Country: Australia
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#7  Postby Bribase » Jul 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Fenrir wrote:It is extraordinarily easy to give examples of evolution occurring in less than a human lifetime. Such has been demonstrated time and time again.

Any bibliophile would know that.


You may have missed it but Ray would have dismissed it out of hand. He was asking for evidence of one "kind" becoming another "kind", either the definition of a "kind" is sufficiently vague to move the goalposts or the requirement is for something that would never happen under evolution.

He's looking for a strawman, one he has been corrected on by thousands of people. I'm wondering why his followers still buy this kind of argumentation. I doubt they're all as stupid as he is. Is it a communication problem? Do they not have access to the rebuttals of this nonsensical fluff?
User avatar
Bribase
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 2671
Age: 39
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#8  Postby laklak » Jul 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Monkeys are "kind of like" baboons who are "kind of like" chimps who are "kind of like" gorillas. Horses are "kind of like" donkeys who are "kind of like" zebras. Cow are "kind of like" bison who are "kind of like" Cape buffalo. Humans are not "kind of like" anything else. Oh, and apparently bats are "kind of like" birds.

See? "Kinds" is easy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20862
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#9  Postby Macdoc » Jul 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Can we change the sub forum name to Cretinism ?:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 17156
Age: 73
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#10  Postby Bubalus » Jul 11, 2013 9:40 pm

I don't know why respected scientists even engage with him.

RC: My definition of evilution is a dog will give birth to a cat, or a bird will lay a crocodile egg, now show me the proof of my definition. :roll:
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
User avatar
Bubalus
 
Posts: 726
Age: 67
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#11  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 12, 2013 3:51 am

I see that the video has been removed for some reason
Maybe Ray has finally seen the light and so now accepts
scientific truth over metaphysical belief : Or maybe not
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10195

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#12  Postby Bribase » Jul 12, 2013 6:40 am

surreptitious57 wrote:I see that the video has been removed for some reason
Maybe Ray has finally seen the light and so now accepts
scientific truth over metaphysical belief : Or maybe not


Very interesting.
User avatar
Bribase
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 2671
Age: 39
Male

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#13  Postby Oeditor » Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am

Fenrir wrote:It is extraordinarily easy to give examples of evolution occurring in less than a human lifetime. Such has been demonstrated time and time again.
ndeed. The crocoduck appeared in the twinkling of an eye. And is clear evidence of design, too.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor
 
Posts: 4581
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#14  Postby halucigenia » Jul 12, 2013 10:21 pm

laklak wrote:Monkeys are "kind of like" baboons who are "kind of like" chimps who are "kind of like" gorillas. Horses are "kind of like" donkeys who are "kind of like" zebras. Cow are "kind of like" bison who are "kind of like" Cape buffalo. Humans are not "kind of like" anything else. Oh, and apparently bats are "kind of like" birds.

See? "Kinds" is easy.

And a hippopotamus is "kind of like" a whale, oh wait... :ask:
User avatar
halucigenia
 
Posts: 1228

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#15  Postby Nostalgia » Jul 13, 2013 1:47 am

Fenrir wrote:Any bibliophile would know that.


:lol: :silenced:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
User avatar
Nostalgia
 
Posts: 9266
Age: 35
Male

Country: Earth
Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#16  Postby Dolorosa » Jul 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Fenrir wrote:Any bibliophile would know that.


This is a public forum! Please show respect for your fellow species. Thanks :thumbup:
Dolorosa
 
Posts: 50
Age: 44
Female

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#17  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm

I show huge respect for chickens by repeatedly chopping their carcasses up and cooking extremely yummy curries with the flesh.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#18  Postby zulumoose » Aug 13, 2018 1:03 pm

surreptitious57 wrote: But if he references
non observability as a reason not to accept Evolution then the same can apply to God too : The difference
is that Evolution has been falsified where as God has not : Though if he still wants some evidence then all
he has to do is just go look in the mirror : As all the proof he needs shall be staring right back at him now


I think you mean evolution is falsifiable, ie if false it is possible to disprove it. If it had been falsified that would mean it had already been disproven.

As for "if he still wants some evidence then all he has to do is just go look in the mirror" this sounds uncomfortably like what Christians say about evidence for God, "it is all around you, all you have to do is look."
Meaningless statement by itself.
User avatar
zulumoose
 
Posts: 3623

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#19  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm

If the thinks evolution isn't observable, then he can fuck off next time he asks for a flu jab.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22069
Age: 58
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Ray Comfort's Latest Propagandist Nonsense

#20  Postby zulumoose » Aug 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Stock answer would be that different flu strains are just variations within a kind, like different breeds of dog.
The goalposts will be moved to accommodate any logical response to that.
User avatar
zulumoose
 
Posts: 3623

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest