Real world analogies when using to countering creaionism

I'm looking for succinct yet reasonably accurate analogies that can be understood easily

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Real world analogies when using to countering creaionism

#21  Postby romansh » Apr 20, 2017 6:41 pm

John Platko wrote::coffee:

I don't think I've ever met a creationist in real life. I've got to get out more - I don't even know where I'd look for one. :scratch:

Try your local evangelical church. You'll find a lot of experts on god, just like you are. :)
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby John Platko » Apr 20, 2017 6:52 pm

romansh wrote:

I don't think I've ever met a creationist in real life. I've got to get out more - I don't even know where I'd look for one. :scratch:

Try your local evangelical church. You'll find a lot of experts on god, just like you are. :)

I would be shocked to find out there was a church within 10 miles of me where the general population didn't accept evolution. And there's a lot of people within 10 miles of me. On the other hand, I'm confident there are churches where people take the Bible literally and then rationalize the hell out of it.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby romansh » Apr 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Even what I take to be your view John is a minority view

http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/belie ... igins.aspx
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#24  Postby John Platko » Apr 20, 2017 8:25 pm

romansh wrote:Even what I take to be your view John is a minority view

http://www.gallup.com/poll/170822/belie ... igins.aspx

That's frightening. But seriously I don't recall ever meeting anyone who seriously defends creationism. Most of the religious people in my life are Catholic and the church doesn't have a problem with evolution. I do remember when I was young having an uncle that looked at me one day and asked: do you believe we evolved from monkeys? He shook his head and walked on. Intelligent design is not being taught in the schools were I live. I guess that's why there's so much effort at trying to move the school budgets away from local education boards. Oh well, nothing a few more thousand years of evolution won't fix.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Manticore » Apr 21, 2017 8:49 am

Catholics are OK. I've had many a friendly beer with Catholic priests (and a few with bishops), but I always feel the need to scrub with disinfectant after meeting any type of fundamentalist. Anywhere within fifty metres of a creationist and I get the urge to scrub with sulphuric acid and a wire brush.
The existence of just one racist is proof that there exists at least one person who could be reasonably classified as sub-human.
Manticore

Tanzania (tz)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Tzelemel » Apr 21, 2017 10:25 am

My Uncle once did a favour to the local MP's wife (or maybe it was a Councillor, I forget which), and stocked her newspaper in the waiting area of his restaurant. Typical Fundie claptrap. It went on about how scientists were wasting their time, because the Bible had already predicted their findings, or some such nonsense.

If it were't for the fact that I knew most people wouldn't have had the time to read it, I'd have junked the lot.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby mingthething » Apr 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Tzelemel wrote:My Uncle once did a favour to the local MP's wife (or maybe it was a Councillor, I forget which), and stocked her newspaper in the waiting area of his restaurant. Typical Fundie claptrap. It went on about how scientists were wasting their time, because the Bible had already predicted their findings, or some such nonsense.

If it were't for the fact that I knew most people wouldn't have had the time to read it, I'd have junked the lot.

Creationist: Creationists use the scientific method. Creation science is a science.

Counter-argument: Scientific method consists of proposing a hypothesis and testing it. It also has predictive power , such as being able to predict what kind of rocks you should find in what strata, being able to calculate the path of an asteroid, being able to predict which medicines should work and which should not. What hypothesis are you testing, and how are you going to test that hypothesis?
mingthething

Name: Lee

Malaysia (my)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Oeditor » Apr 22, 2017 10:34 am

"Universe 10,000 years old? Where's the evidence for that?"
"Compare and contrast with:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0754t74/the-beginning-and-end-of-the-universe-1-the-beginning
Only 19 days left for that 2nd response, though.
EDIT
For anyone interested, part 2 is available for a further 6 days:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b075dxsq/the-beginning-and-end-of-the-universe-2-the-end
(I don't know what the Beeb's policy is these days for viewers outside the UK.)
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby PensivePenny » Apr 22, 2017 7:26 pm

John Platko wrote:
romansh wrote:

I would be shocked to find out there was a church within 10 miles of me where the general population didn't accept evolution. And there's a lot of people within 10 miles of me. On the other hand, I'm confident there are churches where people take the Bible literally and then rationalize the hell out of it.

May I ask in what part of the US you live? I want to live THERE!
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby PensivePenny » Apr 22, 2017 7:36 pm

A simple analogy against creationism? How about:

Life is like a box of chocolates... Each one has a different filling inside, each one revealing the confectionery wonder within (once you get beneath the surface) just like excavation reveals evidence of some long extinct creature that fills in a point on the fossil record. Creationism is like a chocolate with an imaginary flavor that is obviously absent from the box because there's no evidence the flavor exists. Now, one can reject the myriad chocolates with their tasty delights and wait around wishing for a flavor that doesn't exist. Or, one can dive in to the chocolates that are real, savor every sweet morsel for all it's uniqueness and be thankful they were able to appreciate the blessings of the natural world before your one and only mortal life comes to an all-to-soon end.

Something like that... I was just riffing.

<edited for clarity>
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Tzelemel » Apr 24, 2017 7:32 am

mingthething wrote:
Tzelemel wrote:My Uncle once did a favour to the local MP's wife (or maybe it was a Councillor, I forget which), and stocked her newspaper in the waiting area of his restaurant. Typical Fundie claptrap. It went on about how scientists were wasting their time, because the Bible had already predicted their findings, or some such nonsense.

Creationist: Creationists use the scientific method. Creation science is a science.

Counter-argument: Scientific method consists of proposing a hypothesis and testing it. It also has predictive power , such as being able to predict what kind of rocks you should find in what strata, being able to calculate the path of an asteroid, being able to predict which medicines should work and which should not. What hypothesis are you testing, and how are you going to test that hypothesis?

In that particular instance, the best thing to do was to make sure nobody hung around waiting for a table long enough to read it.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism