Statistics of acceptance of evolution in US states

Is there any?

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Ironclad, Onyx8

Statistics of acceptance of evolution in US states

#1  Postby Hugin » Jan 14, 2011 3:55 pm

This image shows the acceptance of evolution in 34 countries (I don't know on which basis the countries were selected, however). As we all see, the US is pretty poor in this regard.

I wonder if there is any statistics on how US states differ, i.e how many in US states that accept evolution. I'd suspect that a higher proportion of New Yorkers accept it than Mississippians, but that's just a theory...
"If there were an Economist's Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'." - Paul Krugman
Hugin
Banned User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Statistics of acceptance of evolution in US states

#2  Postby Lizard_King » Jan 14, 2011 3:59 pm

That's why I like Iceland and Scandinavia... :grin:

Well, another reason to like these places, anyway.
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DaveScriv » Jan 14, 2011 5:11 pm

I wonder how many of those who said 'false' in the UK, France, Germany, etc., were Muslims?
(rather than fundie Christians, as presumably most were in the US)
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby lordshipmayhem » Jan 14, 2011 8:32 pm

I wonder how Canada did? They're not on the list.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mazille » Jan 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Jesus fucking Christ. Austria isn't looking too good either. :shock: Where's that graph from?
Fallible wrote:Oh no, I can't live without my bollocks.

Animavore wrote:I like dick too.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Mazille wrote:Jesus fucking Christ. Austria isn't looking too good either. :shock: Where's that graph from?

It's from here. That website in turn obtained the graph from a paper submitted to Science by Eugenie Scott and other co-authors, which is the subject of the article covered thereupon.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mazille » Jan 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Cheers, mate! :cheers:

Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby NineOneFour » Jan 14, 2011 9:40 pm

OP: I sure can't find any stats.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby katja z » Jan 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Mazille wrote:Jesus fucking Christ. Austria isn't looking too good either. :shock:

Nor is Slovenia :shock: FFS, a quarter of people here think ToE is wrong! It wouldn't be so bad if they were only "not sure", it's easy to be unsure about stuff that you only vaguely remember from school (and that you never really understood), but this stupid certainty is a very good reason for worry :ill:

@DaveScriv: We have few Muslims here, most evo-deniers must be Catholic, which is weird considering that the Catholic church officially accepts evolution (with some tweaks when it comes to human evolution, but still ...).
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Alan C » Jan 14, 2011 9:58 pm

No NZ or Aus there either.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Some stats for Canada, Australia and New Zealand can be found here.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Alan C » Jan 15, 2011 5:28 am

Calilasseia wrote:Some stats for Canada, Australia and New Zealand can be found here.

Fascinating, cheers. :cheers:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby IanS » Jan 15, 2011 6:48 pm

DaveScriv wrote:I wonder how many of those who said 'false' in the UK, France, Germany, etc., were Muslims?

With reference to the UK in particular (since I'm in the UK, and have particular concern about what happens here) - I'd be interested to know if any polls have asked the more direct question of UK Muslims, namely - what proportion of Muslims in UK think evolution is false, and how many of them think god directly made man instead?
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mazille » Jan 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Well, I'm not from the UK, but from the documentaries, etc. I have seen so far it seems to me that it's mainly Christians in their weird faith-schools (WTF were you Brits thinking?) that are the problem in that regard.

Might be down to biased reporting, though. Dunno.

Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Latimeria » Jan 15, 2011 11:00 pm

lordshipmayhem wrote:I wonder how Canada did? They're not on the list.

I think Robert Byers is still arguing with the survey teams from Canada so the results aren't in yet.
" [This space is for rent to "which ever version of POOF creates the largest cloud of obnoxious smoke following the POOF."[1] "- God
Works Cited:
[1] - theropod. Parsimony of the Miraculous. RatSkep Peanut Gallery Press, 2011.
Latimeria
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Robert Byers » Jan 16, 2011 9:34 am

The criticisms and the opinions that oppose evolution and company come from a foundation of an historic alternative.
In short the bible. Muslims a little too but thats different.
Then the bible belief comes from those who historically most believed in the bible. That is the evangelical, now called, wing of protestantism.
Then this added by the high intelligence of the English speaking world, relative to others, leads to the great and satisfying truth of creationism being highly successful in North America.
As we would see it IT is as it should be. the truth should most be discovered and untruth most resisted by the most advanced people.
A line of reasoning.
Evolution should cut its losses and start over in Timbukto.
Robert Byers

Name: Robert Byers

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Jan 16, 2011 9:47 am

Robert Byers wrote:Then this added by the high intelligence of the English speaking world, relative to others.

Care to back up this claim, Mr Byers?
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Ergaster » Jan 16, 2011 10:09 am

Robert Byers wrote:The criticisms and the opinions that oppose evolution and company come from a foundation of an historic alternative.
In short the bible. Muslims a little too but thats different.
Then the bible belief comes from those who historically most believed in the bible. That is the evangelical, now called, wing of protestantism.
Then this added by the high intelligence of the English speaking world, relative to others, leads to the great and satisfying truth of creationism being highly successful in North America.
As we would see it IT is as it should be. the truth should most be discovered and untruth most resisted by the most advanced people.
A line of reasoning.

You're absolutely right. Accepting that environmental pressures can have an effect on the distribution of genes in gene pools and lead to accumulative changes over time is clearly absurd. A supernatural entity for which there is no sufficient evidence needs to be invoked to explain life's variety in a rational manner.

Due to this incredible piece of wisdom, a strong case can now be made to replace biology textbooks with bibles.
Last edited by Ergaster on Jan 16, 2011 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ergaster

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Hugin » Jan 16, 2011 10:19 am

Ok, so there are no such statistics, it seems. That's a bit unfortunate.

IanS wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:I wonder how many of those who said 'false' in the UK, France, Germany, etc., were Muslims?

With reference to the UK in particular (since I'm in the UK, and have particular concern about what happens here) - I'd be interested to know if any polls have asked the more direct question of UK Muslims, namely - what proportion of Muslims in UK think evolution is false, and how many of them think god directly made man instead?

Depends on what you define as "Muslim". When Islamic organizations in Sweden wants something (like legalization of Halal slaughter), they invoke all people from Muslim countries as "Muslims", despite that far from all of them are religious, and indeed, you can find some of the most anti-Islam people among them.

However, among serious practicing Muslims (as opposed to merely cultural Muslims), I'd say that creationism is pretty widespread. Just look at this fatwa, the Quran trumps any scientific evidence.
"If there were an Economist's Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'." - Paul Krugman
Hugin
Banned User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby katja z » Jan 16, 2011 10:21 am

Robert Byers wrote:

Funnily enough, Timbuktu used to boast one of the most prestigious theological universities in the Muslim world (incidentally, this was also one of the first universities in the world). It was a flourishing centre of scholarship and written tradition, to the extent that it has earned epithets such as "Athens of Africa" or "Sudanese Rome".

Care to try again?
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism