Misconceptions about what creationist believe

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: The 7 deadly myths about creationism

#81  Postby Wortfish » Mar 31, 2018 11:46 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Wortfish wrote:then Eve from one of his ribs. He gave them both reproductive parts that allow the human race to profilerate and continue without having to create each and every one of us from scratch again and again: "Go forth and multiply!" That sounds a lot like evolution!

Only if you fail to understand what evolution is or are employing a dishonest humpty-dumpty definition.

Put it this way. In Genesis, takes a rib from Adam and clothes it with flesh to make Eve.

Where did the flesh come from? Did Eve have one less rib after this?

Actually don't even bother answering because it doesn't matter one way or the other. We know the biblical fable is wrong. Homo sapiens share common descent with probably all other life that currently exists on Earth and we know this beyond all rational doubt.

Except that the Genesis account is a work of theology, not palaeontology. It tries to explain man's relationship to God and to the universe. It conveys deeper truth rather than reports facts like science does.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Sendraks » Apr 01, 2018 12:04 am

Wortfish wrote: It conveys deeper truth rather than reports facts like science does.

Uhuh. And what "truth" would this be? :coffee:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#83  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 01, 2018 12:16 am

Wortfish wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Only if you fail to understand what evolution is or are employing a dishonest humpty-dumpty definition.

Put it this way. In Genesis, takes a rib from Adam and clothes it with flesh to make Eve.

Where did the flesh come from? Did Eve have one less rib after this?

Actually don't even bother answering because it doesn't matter one way or the other. We know the biblical fable is wrong. Homo sapiens share common descent with probably all other life that currently exists on Earth and we know this beyond all rational doubt.

Except that the Genesis account is a work of theology, not palaeontology. It tries to explain man's relationship to God and to the universe. It conveys deeper truth rather than reports facts like science does.

Another non-sequitur assertion.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Wortfish » Apr 01, 2018 2:00 am

Sendraks wrote:
Wortfish wrote: It conveys deeper truth rather than reports facts like science does.

That you should never talk to strangers, in this case...talking snakes.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby laklak » Apr 01, 2018 2:47 am

Evangelical Protestants are fucking idiots.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Thommo » Apr 01, 2018 2:58 am

Wortfish wrote:
Sendraks wrote:

He said, to strangers.
Thommo

Print view this post

#87  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 01, 2018 3:43 am

I struggle to understand how anything listed is deadly.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby Fallible » Apr 01, 2018 7:43 am

Why should you never talk to strangers? How is that a 'truth'?
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#89  Postby aban57 » Apr 01, 2018 8:29 am

It's quite funny to see Wortfish justifying all those lies and inconsistencies by telling they are "allegories" or metaphores for evolution, when most people concerned by the OP are in fact litteralists who don't want to hear about this shit.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Greyman » Apr 01, 2018 10:09 am

Wortfish wrote:
Sendraks wrote:Uhuh. And what "truth" would this be? :coffee:

The talking snake, of which the Bible says, told the woman that God did not want the people eat the fruit from the two trees because it would make them like Gods, which turned out to be exactly why God said They had to drive the people out of garden.

Are you sure you've learned the right lesson?
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#91  Postby felltoearth » Apr 01, 2018 2:42 pm

Fallible wrote:Why should you never talk to strangers? How is that a 'truth'?

In the same way you should never kill anybody.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Wortfish » Apr 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Fallible wrote:Why should you never talk to strangers? How is that a 'truth'?

Better the devil you know....Adam and Eve didn't know the talking snake (which had legs at the time).
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Wortfish » Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

aban57 wrote:It's quite funny to see Wortfish justifying all those lies and inconsistencies by telling they are "allegories" or metaphores for evolution, when most people concerned by the OP are in fact litteralists who don't want to hear about this shit.

I never claimed that Genesis 1 and 2 is a metaphor for evolution. What I claim is that creation doesn't involve producing things from absolutely nothing, as some believe. Rather, it involves working with existing materials, as evolution does.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Fallible » Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Again, why should you NEVER talk to strangers, and how is this a truth?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Fallible » Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Wortfish wrote:
aban57 wrote:It's quite funny to see Wortfish justifying all those lies and inconsistencies by telling they are "allegories" or metaphores for evolution, when most people concerned by the OP are in fact litteralists who don't want to hear about this shit.

I never claimed that Genesis 1 and 2 is a metaphor for evolution. What I claim is that creation doesn't involve producing things from absolutely nothing, as some believe. Rather, it involves working with existing materials, as evolution does.

Where did the existing materials come from?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Sendraks » Apr 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Wortfish wrote: What I claim is that creation doesn't involve producing things from absolutely nothing, as some believe.

That's not what the bible says nor is it what many creationists believe.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#97  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Wortfish wrote:

I never claimed that Genesis 1 and 2 is a metaphor for evolution. What I claim is that creation doesn't involve producing things from absolutely nothing,

Except that it does.

Wortfish wrote:Rather, it involves working with existing materials, as evolution does.

Where did the existing materials come from Wortfish?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#98  Postby BlackBart » Apr 02, 2018 8:03 pm

Fallible wrote:
Wortfish wrote:

Already asked that one. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#99  Postby aban57 » Apr 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Wortfish wrote:

Yes you did.

Wortfish wrote:
laklak wrote:So Adam and Eve should be viewed as allegory. OK. How do you know what bits are allegory and what bits are "God's Revealed Truth"? Is there some special font? Looks to me like the entire fucking thing is allegory, just a bunch of desert goat roasters making up shit about things they didn't understand.

Like JRR Tolkien, I have detested allegory since I was old enough to detect its presence.

A talking snake, and a tree of the knowledge of good and evil, are obviously allegorical. Genesis is a work of theology, not of science or history. Unfortunately, in our fact-based society, we relegate the place of allegory. We mustn't conflate truth with fact.

Wortfish wrote:
MS2 wrote:
If you regard it as allegorical, do you not regard it as fully compatible with the reality of evolution? Could God not have created everything as it is now through the agency of evolution? If not, why not?

Most Christians and Jews regard it as allegorical/figurative, but evangelical Protestants believe every single word in Genesis is the inerrant and literal reality. Of course, as I have pointed out, by creating Eve from a rib of Adam, God shows that he can - like evolution - use existing parts to generate new ones.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Fallible » Apr 02, 2018 8:13 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Wortfish wrote:

Already asked that one. :coffee:

Yeah. And I know I'm banging my head against a brick wall. Sometimes the fancy to not let him think his arse achingly bad dodging and diving has gone unnoticed takes me though.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism