The evolution of creationism

How creationism has evolved over the years from a geological perspective

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

The evolution of creationism

#1  Postby halucigenia » Dec 07, 2014 11:58 am

The evolution of creationism: How creationism has evolved over the years from a geological perspective

I have just come across an interesting article that might well produce some discussion. It contains pearls such as the following:-

“Particularly compelling was Charles Lyell’s argument that the cinder cones of southern France were too fragile to have survived a global f lood. Deep valleys were incised into hard lava f lows that could be traced back to their volcanic source in the cinder cones. Thus, the valleys must have been carved after the cinder cones formed. Lyell reasoned that Noah’s Flood could not have carved the valleys because any flood capable of carving valleys into solid rock would have swept away the loose cinders that formed the volcanic cones.”

And;
“And yet, the geological case for a global flood that creationists offer as an alternative to evolution was discredited before Darwin set foot aboard the Beagle.”

And;
“Geologists assess theories by how well they fit data, and creationists evaluate facts by how well they fit their theories.”

And in conclusion;
“How many creationists today know that modern creationism arose from abandoning faith that the study of nature would reveal God’s grand design for the world?”

The evolution of creationism pdf

Well worth a read methinks.

In response to creationists posting lists containing historical examples of scientists that they claim to be of their own persuasion and insist that they are also creationists in an attempt at a fallacious appeal to authority I often claim that this is an anachronism, as in those times there were no creationists in the way that we use that term today. Modern creationism, as in someone who denies modern science cannot apply to an historical figure as it only appeared in it's modern form relatively recently. Applying the modern term creationist to those scientists who also happened to be religious and that believed in christianity and the biblical creation mythology I say is an anachronism.

This article really confirms this observation very well I thought.

Comments?...
halucigenia

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The evolution of creationism

#2  Postby Rumraket » Dec 11, 2014 9:53 am

Very interesting, thank you.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#3  Postby Sendraks » Dec 11, 2014 10:55 am

halucigenia wrote:Comments?...

I'd be interested to see what nonsense Carl, Jerome or JayJay have to say in response to this.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Varangian » Dec 11, 2014 11:13 am

Sendraks wrote:
halucigenia wrote:Comments?...

I'd be interested to see what nonsense Carl, Jerome or JayJay have to say in response to this.

And by that, I suppose you mean Jerome da tr...gnome, and not our sensible forum vet jerome (who hasn't been very active of late).

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Sendraks » Dec 11, 2014 11:18 am

Varangian wrote:
And by that, I suppose you mean Jerome da tr...gnome, and not our sensible forum vet jerome (who hasn't been very active of late).

Yes, the former rather than the latter.
And apologies to the latter for any confusion that might have occurred.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Return to Creationism