The most shocking thing a creationist has ever done!

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: The most shocking thing a creationist has ever done!

#61  Postby Shrunk » Sep 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Jonathan McLatchie wrote:@Shrunk,

Regarding the claim that the concept of specified complexity is meaningless, I suggest you read my blog post here:

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/08/tw ... 75771.html

I don't know if Jonathan will be rejoining us. However, I thought this article of his is interesting enough to warrant a thread of its own:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... 41581.html
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Shrunk » Aug 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Commentators on Sandwalk have brought attention to the fact that McLatchie's article cited in the OP is now two years old and it is still up. The only concession being an easily overlooked link at the top mentioning "an important correction and revision." No mention on the page itself that McLatchie has himself admitted the entire premise of his claim is wrong. Which is probably why creationists are still citing this article to claim that the GULOP gene is functional in humans.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#63  Postby THWOTH » Aug 22, 2015 6:59 pm

So it goes; so it goes. :roll:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Made of Stars » Aug 22, 2015 10:46 pm

Let's remember it's proper name, so as not to inadvertently buy into the PR program: It's intelligent design creationism.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Oldskeptic » Aug 23, 2015 2:05 am

What I find ridiculous is that the Discovery Institute backed away from the Dover trial because they were afraid that it would expose intelligent design as religiously motivated. It reminds me of toddlers that put their hands over their eyes and think no one can see them. The idea that the Discovery Institute hasn't been blatantly religiously motivated from its inception is laughable. Who are they trying to convince? Surely not all those religious people that financially support them. It's like they think it takes a secret decoder ring to decipher their message and agenda. It's as if they live in some fantasy where the Wedge strategy Document is still top secret and hasn't been distributed.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#66  Postby THWOTH » Aug 23, 2015 9:45 pm

The disingenuousness is strong in the Discovery Institute...

discovery.org wrote:It's a policy here to deal charitably and give critics the benefit of the doubt, as far as we can do so. Notably, when opponents repeatedly say things they should know by now to be untrue, having been corrected on them multiple times, we prefer to call that a "misunderstanding," a "failure to grasp the truth of the matter," an "error," "goof," or "blunder," not a lie. We like to say it's a result of their being naïve, deluded, uninformed, not dishonest.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2015/05/ad ... 96271.html
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby bert » Aug 24, 2015 4:14 pm

The farce is strong?

Bert
Who probably shouldn't play with foreign languages
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Shrunk » Aug 24, 2015 4:30 pm

THWOTH wrote:The disingenuousness is strong in the Discovery Institute...

discovery.org wrote:It's a policy here to deal charitably and give critics the benefit of the doubt, as far as we can do so. Notably, when opponents repeatedly say things they should know by now to be untrue, having been corrected on them multiple times, we prefer to call that a "misunderstanding," a "failure to grasp the truth of the matter," an "error," "goof," or "blunder," not a lie. We like to say it's a result of their being naïve, deluded, uninformed, not dishonest.

Well, that's very nice of them. However, to say the words and actions of the DI do not demonstrate dishonesty on their part when all evidence points to the opposite conclusion would be, well, dishonest.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Rumraket » Aug 26, 2015 4:38 pm

THWOTH wrote:The disingenuousness is strong in the Discovery Institute...

irony-meter.jpg
irony-meter.jpg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 2638 times

Looks like it's time to bring out the MEGATON Irony meter, this one is off the charts.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#70  Postby Shrunk » May 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Jonthan McLatchie turned up in my Facebook feed, so I was reminded of this thread and decided to check. Yes, the article is still up, with no retraction other than the link to the 2nd article.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Calilasseia » May 07, 2017 9:10 pm

So McLatchie claims that there is "evidence" for "design"? Interesting.

Does he know what it takes to convert the "design" assertion into something other than a blind assertion? Let's see if he can answer this. Don't give him any hints, I want to see if he can work this out for himself.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Teague » Jan 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Jonathan McLatchie wrote:@Weaver:

No, the Discovery Institute attempted, unsuccessfully, to persuade the Dover school board not to go through with what they were doing. It has been Discovery's long time education policy to oppose attempts to mandate the teaching of ID in public schools. The foolish actions of the Dover school board did a lot of damage, and we saw an intense spike in academic persecution of ID scientists following 2005.

As to my approach, I seek to determine the most natural interpretation of the scientific evidence. I think there are clear hallmarks of design in biology, but I would be inclined to affirm the proposition of common ancestry, for reasons I'm happy to go into.

Except you have no basis on which to apply your "design" theory and teach it as fact. Put it this way, by allowing your guys to teach "ID" you open the floodgates for every other psuedo science to come in and have a go to.

Not only that, but you're coming from a position that you are right, I assume? However, you do not know that you even have a case to make.

So the question left is, why should we allow people to teach theories they've thought up in their heads that have no supporting evidence to even say they're correct.

Schooling is precious time for students and as we discover more, they need to learn more. What good is there teaching them something that you yourself can't even demonstrate in the slightest to be true and yet think you should get time over everyone else and over every other religion?

If you were genuinely concerned about education, you'd be against putting anything into the curriculum that wasn't fact based.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Teague » Jan 16, 2018 6:10 pm

OK so I assumed this was a new thread.... :oops:
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism