The Origin of Life

Five questions worth asking

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: The Origin of Life

#2181  Postby THWOTH » Jul 21, 2014 2:51 am

Now I kid you not, but I have a coffee-and-cake appointment with a JW (no doubt with handler in tow) for the end of next month. They apparently found my question about the moral relativism of God very interesting and said they would like to discuss it further (or, if you prefer, they didn't have a ready comeback and needed to go and check the apologetics). I'll keep the "So what do you think science can tell us about the world?" question in reserve. I'm currently reading "What does the Bible really Teach?", which as you can imagine is a rather incoherent 'just so' story from beginning to end.

[/aside]
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2182  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 16, 2014 12:14 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Something interesting turned up in my letterbox recently. The JWs had been around, and because I happened to be out on an entomological field trip when they knocked on the door (yes, it was an early start - around 8am), they decided to leave a little present in my letterbox.

A two hundred and fifty five page hardback book, no less. The title is hilarious:

Life - How Did It Get Here? By Evolution Or Creation?

It's spent a little time gathering dust since it arrived, but I think it might be fun to take a peek through this screed, and see what canards are being peddled inside it.

I imagine with glee them returning to politely inquire whether you received the book and if you'd have a spare 20 minutes to chat!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2183  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Something interesting turned up in my letterbox recently. The JWs had been around, and because I happened to be out on an entomological field trip when they knocked on the door (yes, it was an early start - around 8am), they decided to leave a little present in my letterbox.

A two hundred and fifty five page hardback book, no less. The title is hilarious:

Life - How Did It Get Here? By Evolution Or Creation?

It's spent a little time gathering dust since it arrived, but I think it might be fun to take a peek through this screed, and see what canards are being peddled inside it.

I imagine with glee them returning to politely inquire whether you received the book and if you'd have a spare 20 minutes to chat!

Something tells me my reputation had preceded me here. Which is why I've been strikingly bereft of opportunities to run through this tome and its deficiencies. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2184  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 16, 2014 12:18 pm

It's now on my bucket list of Things I'd Like To Experience Before I Die! :D
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2185  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 16, 2014 12:23 pm

If the opportunity does arise, I'll try and arrange for video footage to be shot. :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2186  Postby The_Piper » Oct 17, 2014 1:27 am

I had JW's visit me for years when I first moved here. One guy a bit younger than me. I told him flat out I wasn't going to be converted but he kept coming back and leaving The Watchtower. The same old inane shit. Life must have been created, Humpty Christ had a big fall, and all of the rats followed him to the river and jumped in to drown. Oh wait. :tongue:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2187  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 19, 2014 8:05 pm

I studied with JW's, of my own volition, for nearly a year.

There's really not much more to it than what's in the Watchtower mags. They also gravitate strongly to just a few particular citations of the Bible which they repeat over and over - 2 Corinthians 4:4 being one of them.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2188  Postby juju7 » Oct 20, 2014 11:29 am

kennyc wrote:In one sense there was no 'origin of life' -- life is nothing more than an extension of the inherent processes of chemistry and physics of the universe.

It is not a new idea but life could exist where we can not recognise it. For instance within stars but life would exist at such a high reaction rate that it would be impossible for us to see it. On the other hand any intelligent star creature would look down on the earth and conclude that life can not exist here.
juju7
Banned Sockpuppet

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism