Why Dembski is speaking at the University of Chicago

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Why Dembski is speaking at the University of Chicago

#1  Postby Dolorian » Aug 13, 2014 12:56 am

From Jerry Coyne's Blog:

Dembski’s talk will apparently be some version of his own “No Free Lunch Theorem,” (NFL) which supposedly shows that progressive evolution (aka “specified complexity”) requires a designing intelligence, and cannot be produced by naturalistic evolution. In my previous post on this talk, I pointed out several refutations of Dembki’s theorem. But of course since Dembski’s not a scientist but a believer, he simply ignores the criticisms. (In a comment, reader Jon Herron posted a link to yet another refutation of Dembski’s NFL theorem by population geneticist Joe Felsenstein.)

To express my concern, on Friday I emailed both the organizers and faculty hosts of the Computations in Science Seminar. I’ll give my emails in full, but the responses (multiple emails from one person) I’ll redact, giving only the gist of what was said. The upshot was that the person who invited Dembski has the view that every opinion must be expressed to procure the “widest possible dialog.”

Also, here is the link to the original post Coyne made.

Once he is given a platform in such an university he'll not just seek to do the same in others but the perception the people will begin to have about him is that of a "scientist" not a "creationist who holds long discredited ideas".
Dolorian

Male

Print view this post

Re: Why Dembski is speaking at the University of Chicago

#2  Postby orpheus » Aug 13, 2014 2:52 am

U of C is a hell of a good place; there's some serious brain power on that campus. Always has been. This might be fun to watch.

:popcorn: (Uncle Orph'sTM popcorn - "welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends…" )
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 13, 2014 2:55 am

orpheus wrote:U of C is a hell of a good place; there's some serious brain power on that campus. Always has been. This might be fun to watch.

:popcorn: (Uncle Orph'sTM popcorn - "welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends…" )

Indeed, this will probably be one of the best places to produce an embarrassing public demolition of Dembski's unsupported assertions. I suspect there will be plenty of knowledgeable biology students (not to mention their lecturers) who will turn up specifically to provide said demolition. If that happens, I can bet serious money that Dembski won't be showing this in any of his infantile video productions, and instead will probably resort to fart noises as he's done in the past.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby scott1328 » Aug 13, 2014 4:58 am

I suspect that Dembski's NFL theorem will be as relevant as the mathematical proofs that bumblebees can't fly.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby willhud9 » Aug 13, 2014 6:31 am

http://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

Secondly, I say something like this: “I’m sure you’ve heard the expression ‘everyone is entitled to their opinion.’ Perhaps you’ve even said it yourself, maybe to head off an argument or bring one to a close. Well, as soon as you walk into this room, it’s no longer true. You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”

A bit harsh? Perhaps, but philosophy teachers owe it to our students to teach them how to construct and defend an argument – and to recognize when a belief has become indefensible.

The problem with “I’m entitled to my opinion” is that, all too often, it’s used to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned. It becomes shorthand for “I can say or think whatever I like” – and by extension, continuing to argue is somehow disrespectful. And this attitude feeds, I suggest, into the false equivalence between experts and non-experts that is an increasingly pernicious feature of our public discourse.

Until people stop giving credence to the fact that all views should have equal representation we feed into this sense that people are entitled to their opinions which in turn means they are entitled to believe nonsense without fear of that nonsense being shown for what it is.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby willhud9 » Aug 13, 2014 6:34 am

Dembski is not entitled to Intelligent Design because he cannot argue for it. Instead he lies and manipulates information to fit into his conclusions.

Any student who took philosophy, debate, let alone the sciences, can see Dembski has no grounds to stand on. It is pathetic.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Aug 13, 2014 7:11 am

Isn't uni of Chicago a major center for evolutionary biology? :dopey: :grin:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#8  Postby willhud9 » Aug 13, 2014 7:12 am

and one of the most prestigious medical schools in the world.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Aug 13, 2014 7:15 am

willhud9 wrote:and one of the most prestigious medical schools in the world.

Those two facts are probably not totally unrelated. Good biology + fine medicine? Works for me. :thumbup: I say this for Dembski, he is certainly putting himself in the Lion's mouth, i'll give him that!
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#10  Postby mingthething » Aug 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Well, if his talk is scheduled at the end of a long afternoon and everyone just wants to get the hell out for dinner and beer, he'd be able to drone on and quickly hustle off the stage when no questions are forthcoming. voila, one more entry for his CV. Delivered a speech entitled ' Fucknuttery and no free lunches' at the University of Chicago!
mingthething

Name: Lee

Malaysia (my)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Dolorian » Aug 14, 2014 4:42 am

The speech took place already, from the blog posts at the ID News site:

The talk itself and the Q&A afterward, which were at a pretty high level, went very well. There were no disruptions, and Dembski handled the questions from the audience with his accustomed ease. He concluded by saying of the idea of Darwinian evolutionary search:

"If it's not a search, tell me what it is and give me a model of it. If you're willing to go that far, I think then they don't have a science, they don't have a theory."

On this note, Dembski's host, the distinguished physicist and mathematician Leo Kadanoff, ended the event by observing:

"I think the ball is in the court of people who believe in evolution. They have to deal with these questions. ...Bill has made his case and we should all go home and think."

Well said! But Darwinists for the most part prefer not to weigh the merit of serious challenges.
Dolorian

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby willhud9 » Aug 14, 2014 5:01 am

Except he raised no new challenges that have not already been addressed repeatedly. -__-
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Rumraket » Aug 14, 2014 10:23 am

The worst part is not that an ID proponent is being invited to speak. I mean, supposing he had something new and interesting to say...

No, the issue is he will be giving a talk on his already refuted NFL theorem. As in, he will be babbling about a known falsehood, as if history does not exist. What a fucking disgrace.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#14  Postby Oeditor » Aug 15, 2014 7:13 pm

I've not come across his NFL argument but one thing is clear: it's certainly wrongly named. Evolution comes not through a free lunch but at the expense of life's lunching on countless individuals of countless generations of countless species that weren't quite well enough evolved to continue into the next generation.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Aug 15, 2014 8:25 pm

His "NFL" argument? Is he trying to mimic, or mirror, Steven J. Gould with the sports analogies.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Oeditor » Aug 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Sports analogies? I doubt I could understand such if I tried. Unless "sport" means "throwback"! :)
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby felltoearth » Aug 15, 2014 9:01 pm

I just read the email exchange. it beggars belief that that person is teaching at a university.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism