Why stevebee is wrong

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why stevebee is wrong

#141  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 30, 2010 11:17 am

This canard was first erected by dunsapy over at RDF. He tried to assert that because scientists have to exercise some intellectual effort in order to understand natural phenomena, this means that those natural phenomena are somehow under "intelligent control". Presumably as a corollary of this, he would read the satirical piece in The Onion about "Intelligent Falling", and regard it as a valid critique of the scientific understanding of gravity.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#142  Postby BlackRogueDreams » Oct 30, 2010 11:27 am

Calilasseia wrote:This canard was first erected by dunsapy over at RDF. He tried to assert that because scientists have to exercise some intellectual effort in order to understand natural phenomena, this means that those natural phenomena are somehow under "intelligent control". Presumably as a corollary of this, he would read the satirical piece in The Onion about "Intelligent Falling", and regard it as a valid critique of the scientific understanding of gravity.

So that was how the dunsapy Award was created?
BlackRogueDreams

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 30, 2010 11:51 am

It was but one of many reasons why the dunsapy award was created. He erected so many canards, and engaged in so much discoursive duplicity over at RDF, that the award was erected in order to reflect this. It's awarded to a creationist poster who packs a lot of concentrated stupidity and lies into his post. :)
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#144  Postby BlackRogueDreams » Oct 30, 2010 11:54 am

Which begs the question, how many has Robert Byers managed to acquire?
BlackRogueDreams

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#145  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 30, 2010 11:59 am

I think we've been too busy laughing at his posts to award one. :mrgreen:
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#146  Postby BlackRogueDreams » Oct 30, 2010 12:25 pm

Polar bears and crocodiles, oh my! :grin:
BlackRogueDreams

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#147  Postby theropod » Oct 30, 2010 2:18 pm

I don't think Mr. Byers should be smeared with such an trivial award. How sick of you all I am!

His award should be made of pure pixie dust, which has been muled by the angels. Since no one can see any of that shit let's just assert it so and be done with it. K?

Let's call this new award, since everything needs a name, the

"A Tweet from the Short Bus?"

The recurring Robert Byers award for excellence in unsupported assertion while fabricating hyper-drive goal post engines which distort observable reality.

:crazy: :ask:

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#148  Postby hackenslash » Oct 30, 2010 10:50 pm

Calilasseia wrote:I think we've been too busy laughing at his posts to award one. :mrgreen:

Indeed, although I have, as you may have prophesied, been giving this matter some thought. There have been several occasions when I was on the cusp of awarding one but just realised that the Dunsapy simply doesn't do the level of inanity and abject failure to ever spot a point regardless of how hard it hit him in the face with a large fish thus:

that has been consistently displayed by this particular poster over quite a number of fora over several comedic years required to demonstrate the point sufficiently.

In short, this requires something special.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#149  Postby Kytescall » Oct 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
ElDiablo wrote:I went to his site and the got the impression - "there has to be design"

Let me guess ... THIS sort of design, perchance?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhdksPFhCM[/youtube]

Holy shit, ornithopters! Awesome if they work, unspeakably ridiculous if they don't.
... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. ~ H.P. Lovecraft, Ex Oblivione

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. ~ Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kytescall

Male

Print view this post

#150  Postby halucigenia » Oct 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Kytescall wrote:
Holy shit, ornithopters! Awesome if they work, unspeakably ridiculous if they don't.
Ah, a Frank Herbert fan perchance?
(well the Dune saga was where I first saw the word anyway)
After browsing wikipedia I see that there have been some successful attempts at ornithopters and the word is more widely used than I suspected.
halucigenia

Print view this post

#151  Postby Kytescall » Oct 31, 2010 12:35 pm

Indeed. Ornithopters can be pretty impressive. More than I can say for Dune.
... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. ~ H.P. Lovecraft, Ex Oblivione

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. ~ Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kytescall

Male

Print view this post

#152  Postby halucigenia » Oct 31, 2010 1:37 pm

"The argument from geographical separation"
steevebee on his blog wrote: Of course the geographic separations and the distance separating species, the cause of speciation, makes the spread of newly formed organs and bio-systems ever more impossible from species to species. Species separated by long distances or large geologic entities should have evolved entirely different organs and bio-systems. But that just is not the case. Mammals in the southern hemisphere of the earth have the same organ inventory and design as mammals in the northern hemisphere. A liver evolved independently in the southern hemisphere would have to be matched by a liver evolved identically in the northern hemisphere, not a rational possibility. So, why are they the same?

Also see Stevebee's video "The Evolution of Birds and Flight: It's impossible Part 1"
Where he argues that Unenlagia was found in Southern Argentina, which isn't very near China or Germany, where Sinosauropteryx and Archaeopteryx, respectively, were found.
What kind of an argument is that? - it's "The argument from geographical separation".

You are correct that one method of speciation (sympatric speciation) results from geographical isolation, however you are wrong to assert that this “makes the spread of newly formed organs and bio-systems ever more impossible from species to species” as this is not even postulated as how organs and biosystems require to be spread. What happens is that when speciation occurs the new species that form inherit the same organs and biosystems from the original population that split. For example mammals in the northern and southern hemisphere have the same organ inventory as did their common ancestor before those particular species split and migrated/found themselves in different areas of the world because of geographical separations. Livers in mammals did not have to evolve independently in the southern and northern hemispheres as livers had already evolved before the common ancestor of all mammals. It is simply nonsense to suggest that for livers to have evolved at all livers would have had to evolved separately in different species of mammal.

You are wrong because it is not a requirement for the theory of evolution to propose that organs and biosystems would have to be spread from species to species in the way that you propose, they are simply inherited form ancestor to descendent, no matter where the descendants turn up geographically.

To show your case that this had to be so you would have to give an example of two distinct species of organism that share the same organs or biosystem that could not possibly have a common ancestor with each other that also shared these common organs or biosystems. You have been asked to come up with an example of this before and have failed to do so, so until you can do so your assertion is simply unfounded and wrong. Also on top of that for this particular assertion you would have to show that this common ancestors descendants could not have migrated somehow to where they are now, or have been in the past in the case of fossilised examples.
halucigenia

Print view this post

#153  Postby GenesForLife » Oct 31, 2010 2:04 pm

I wonder if someone could bring up the plate tectonic models at the times these fossils have been dated back to.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#154  Postby hackenslash » Oct 31, 2010 2:13 pm

GenesForLife wrote:I wonder if someone could bring up the plate tectonic models at the times these fossils have been dated back to.

Roughly:

I tried to grab a decent paper, but all the ones that looked really good on the topic were behind paywalls.

This should be accurate enough for our purpose here, though. Unenlagia dates to the late cretaceous, and the above is a tectonic projection for around that time.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#155  Postby sam_j » Oct 31, 2010 2:28 pm

GenesForLife wrote:I wonder if someone could bring up the plate tectonic models at the times these fossils have been dated back to.

This site has some nice maps through the ages including climate maps and animations I think. Not sure if they are the time period you are after, but I've found them useful before.

PalaeoMap Project
sam_j

Female

Print view this post

#156  Postby halucigenia » Oct 31, 2010 3:10 pm

What, you mean that you would need models of the plates and where the land was to prove that mammals from the northern and southern hemispheres could both have the same types of livers, when livers are present in fish?

But, anyway as for non avian theropods (and early mammals), well their common ancestors were around when the continents were at least closer together and further back in the Triassic were all joined in Pangea. I was going to explain this in my post to Steve but I thought that it might just confuse him.

And as for avian theropods, well, they could fly couldn't they.
I would not put it past Unenlagia or at least its possibly flighted ancestors (it could have been secondarily flightless evolving from a flighted ancestor) to have been able to cross the distance between the continents in the Late Cretaceous. Even if they weren't strong fliers they could have been blown there or rafted across.

Sorry if that sounds like I am getting at you GenesForLife, but I'm not really it's Steve that I am getting at.

and thanks to sam_j for the reference to the palaeomaps
halucigenia

Print view this post

#157  Postby halucigenia » Oct 31, 2010 3:43 pm

halucigenia wrote: Even if they weren't strong fliers they could have been blown there or rafted across.
Hell, they could even have had duck like ancestors and just floated across on the currents.
Image If a rubber duck can do it across today's oceans it would have been easier then when the oceans were smaller. :smoke:
halucigenia

Print view this post

#158  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Heh, there are insects that can traverse oceans. Halobates is known as the Ocean Strider. It's a species of Hemipteran that walks on sea water. Various butterflies have been known to fly for distances of up to 4,000 miles. Back in 1996, I watched the arrival of the mass Painted Lady migration in England - five million butterflies crossed the English channel after a 2,000 mile flight from North Africa, then moved up to Scotland, and a number of individuals made it as far as Iceland.

Now if a butterfly can do this, a bird or a bird-like flying animal of the requisite size could achieve this sort of feat with ease.

Indeed, amongst modern birds, the Arctic Tern circumnavigates the entire planet from pole to pole during its lifetime. So continent crossing isn't an obstacle to creatures that can fly. And that's before we factor in plate tectonics, and the fact that land masses that are now separated by large distances were closer together, and in some cases joined by land bridges because present day oceans had yet to form.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#159  Postby GenesForLife » Oct 31, 2010 10:25 pm

Yup, halucigenia, that was one of the things I wanted Steve to be shown, since plate tectonics can potentially make light work of objections made in the light of today's global distribution of continents and assuming the same was true for the periods in which these organisms lived in.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#160  Postby stevebee92653 » Oct 31, 2010 11:57 pm

halucigenia wrote:"The argument from geographical separation"
steevebee on his blog wrote: Of course the geographic separations and the distance separating species, the cause of speciation, makes the spread of newly formed organs and bio-systems ever more impossible from species to species. Species separated by long distances or large geologic entities should have evolved entirely different organs and bio-systems. But that just is not the case. Mammals in the southern hemisphere of the earth have the same organ inventory and design as mammals in the northern hemisphere. A liver evolved independently in the southern hemisphere would have to be matched by a liver evolved identically in the northern hemisphere, not a rational possibility. So, why are they the same?

Also see Stevebee's video "The Evolution of Birds and Flight: It's impossible Part 1"
Where he argues that Unenlagia was found in Southern Argentina, which isn't very near China or Germany, where Sinosauropteryx and Archaeopteryx, respectively, were found.
What kind of an argument is that? - it's "The argument from geographical separation".

You are correct that one method of speciation (sympatric speciation) results from geographical isolation, however you are wrong to assert that this “makes the spread of newly formed organs and bio-systems ever more impossible from species to species” as this is not even postulated as how organs and biosystems require to be spread. What happens is that when speciation occurs the new species that form inherit the same organs and biosystems from the original population that split. For example mammals in the northern and southern hemisphere have the same organ inventory as did their common ancestor before those particular species split and migrated/found themselves in different areas of the world because of geographical separations. Livers in mammals did not have to evolve independently in the southern and northern hemispheres as livers had already evolved before the common ancestor of all mammals. It is simply nonsense to suggest that for livers to have evolved at all livers would have had to evolved separately in different species of mammal.

You are wrong because it is not a requirement for the theory of evolution to propose that organs and biosystems would have to be spread from species to species in the way that you propose, they are simply inherited form ancestor to descendent, no matter where the descendants turn up geographically.

To show your case that this had to be so you would have to give an example of two distinct species of organism that share the same organs or biosystem that could not possibly have a common ancestor with each other that also shared these common organs or biosystems. You have been asked to come up with an example of this before and have failed to do so, so until you can do so your assertion is simply unfounded and wrong. Also on top of that for this particular assertion you would have to show that this common ancestors descendants could not have migrated somehow to where they are now, or have been in the past in the case of fossilised examples.

The single common ancestor to all members of any group, say mammals, had to have all of the organs and bio-systems extant and common to that now modern group. Map it out yourself. Organs and bio-system cannot be "picked up along the tree branch", or those O and BS would miss many of the modern species, and we would see a very strange mix of organs and bio-systems today in that one group. Draw it out yourself. Or check my page 36 on my blog if you like. Or gloss over it like you are doing. It isn't that tough to get.
stevebee92653
Banned Troll

Name: Steve

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism