William Dembski's new book!

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

William Dembski's new book!

#1  Postby Shrunk » Sep 26, 2014 1:29 am

"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: William Dembski's new book!

#2  Postby Dolorian » Sep 26, 2014 2:00 am

Good! Looking forward to his new spin on Complex Specified Ignorance.
Dolorian

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Oldskeptic » Sep 26, 2014 2:27 am

‘This is a clear, fresh, stimulating, and provocative book. I enjoyed reading it, and recommend it to anyone who would like to think more deeply about information, evolution and creativity.’
Rupert Sheldrake, University of Cambridge, UK

Nuff said.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Oldskeptic » Sep 26, 2014 2:30 am

Dolorian wrote:Good! Looking forward to his new spin on Complex Specified Ignorance.

From the preface he seems to be saying that information is at the bottom of all that is, and you can't have information without intelligence, therefore God.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby orpheus » Sep 26, 2014 7:44 am

Don't think Claude Shannon would agree...
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby BlackBart » Sep 26, 2014 7:45 am

Has he coloured it in yet? :ask:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Rumraket » Sep 26, 2014 11:32 am

So Dembski has gone full retard. Information itself, no matter what, is now some mysterious and magical substance that defies explanation.

I do have to wonder, do these people even think? At all? Dembski is apparently not aware that it isn't possible for a physical and material system not to convey information, it is an intrinsic property. It will always have shape, size, dimensions, composition, distribution of density and so on. These are informational properties, they are inescapable. Again, information is intrinsic to material objects. Dembski has lost his fucking mind.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Shrunk » Sep 26, 2014 11:43 am

Rumraket wrote:So Dembski has gone full retard. Information itself, no matter what, is now some mysterious and magical substance that defies explanation.

I do have to wonder, do these people even think? At all? Dembski is apparently not aware that it isn't possible for a physical and material system not to convey information, it is an intrinsic property. It will always have shape, size, dimensions, composition, distribution of density and so on. These are informational properties, they are inescapable. Again, information is intrinsic to material objects. Dembski has lost his fucking mind.

His argument now seems to be that information precedes matter (and, I suppose, energy), that the latter depends on the former for its existence, not the other way around. And maybe that's an arguable point. But he still needs to justify his next leap, that this "information", in turn, can only arise from intelligence. I don't intend to waste my time reading his book to find out how he attempts to do so.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Sep 26, 2014 12:07 pm

He seems to think "information" is a thing. Something tangible. It's the same mistake religious seem to make with "evil", "morals", "life" and "consciousness". It's like they're imprisoned by language and literal adherence to analogy.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
‘This is a clear, fresh, stimulating, and provocative book. I enjoyed reading it, and recommend it to anyone who would like to think more deeply about information, evolution and creativity.’

Nuff said.

:doh:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 26, 2014 12:15 pm

BlackBart wrote:Has he coloured it in yet? :ask:

I believe its numbered so co-revolutionists can be involved with this thrilling new foray into Dembski's navel.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Animavore wrote:He seems to think "information" is a thing. Something tangible. It's the same mistake religious seem to make with "evil", "morals", "life" and "consciousness". It's like they're imprisoned by language and literal adherence to analogy.

Platonists all the way down.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Scar » Sep 26, 2014 1:05 pm

It's funny how they all pretend he actually established a method to statistically measure this specified information wank of his.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#14  Postby TMB » Sep 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Rumraket wrote:So Dembski has gone full retard. Information itself, no matter what, is now some mysterious and magical substance that defies explanation.

While it is certainly possible that he does think this, it's also possible he knows it's all bullshit but he is so committed to his position that he is not able to step aside without losing status. Most politicians probably know they are spouting bullshit most of the time, but they keep up the facade because of the cost of acknowledging, so they take the easier option. Many of twits that support Dembski might genuinely believe his stuff, but I would say there is a good chance he just playing along.
TMB

Print view this post

#15  Postby Rumraket » Sep 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:

Nuff said.

:picard:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:

Nuff said.

I just had this horrifying vision of the rabid fundamentalists teaming up with the New Age wooists. With their powers combined... and possibly a little sprinkle of esoteric theurgic gnosis... they could destroy intelligence as we know it! :o

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Well they've already done that within their own minds.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby bert » Sep 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Via Stumbleupon I came across this:
www.talk2action.org/story/2008/7/18/02210/2807

It is from... 2008..., the guy is unstoppable.

Bert
Who just checked the availability of the movie Idiocracy on DVD in his country
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#19  Postby ElDiablo » Sep 30, 2014 3:55 am

:popcorn:
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism