Amateur Geology

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Amateur Geology

#21  Postby Sendraks » Apr 13, 2017 12:35 pm

For some reason this thread had completely past me by, which is a shame because it is a delightful and informative tale of you and your boys geological adventures. Bookmarking in the hope of future updates.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby crank » Apr 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Have you seen this series of videos? I stumbled on this one and decided I had to see all of them and I don't live anywhere near the area. The guy is really entertaining with an infectious enthusiasm. Recommended if you're into this stuff.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#23  Postby felltoearth » Apr 15, 2017 11:45 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Tertius also found a pine cone, unlike all the other pine cones in the area:

IMG_1446.jpg

He found it under this tree, which we haven't identified, either:

IMG_1439.jpg

And, I suppose in hindsight, it would have been good to take a photo of the rest of the cones underneath that tree, but I didn't think of it. Gives us a reason to go back and do some more work.

I think it's a pinus contorta, commonly known as lodgepole pine. It's very exposed on top of a hill, which I read can cause them to grow like this.

Looks like a Douglas fir tree cone.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Earth Sciences