Classifying Minerals by Genesis

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Classifying Minerals by Genesis

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 02, 2022 5:50 pm

I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: Classifying Minerals by Genesis

#2  Postby romansh » Jul 02, 2022 9:05 pm

I would have said geologists have done this to some degree for quite a while.
Not exactly clear where the benefits are. I suppose exploration geologists may find this useful for looking and deposition processes for similar minerals. But they were looking at this to some degree anyway.

For me on the business end of geology in the extractive side of things, I can't see it changing my way of life.
Last edited by romansh on Jul 03, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

Re: Classifying Minerals by Genesis

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 03, 2022 6:08 am

romansh wrote:I would have said geoligists have done this to some degree for quite a while.
Not exactly clear where the benefits are. I suppose exploration geologists may find this useful for looking and deposition processes for similar minerals. But they were looking at this to some degree anyway.

For me on the business end of geology in the extractive side of things, I can't see it changing my way of life.

I think its more of academic value than commercial. Making measure.

Analogously, it's like recognizing different subspecies in Biology: It's pyrite, but there are 21 different ways for pyrite to form.

One example they gave of the academic value is:

"We're looking at the mineralogy of Mars," said Dr Hazen. "We're constantly looking for evidence in the minerals that might point to life.

"If we find it, it's not going to be that we find one particular species of mineral; it's going to be the trace of minor elements, the morphologies, the sizes and shapes of these minerals. It's their local associations that's going to be the smoking gun for life on Mars."
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Earth Sciences