Coral reefs and Noah's Flood

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Coral reefs and Noah's Flood

#21  Postby aufbahrung » Feb 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:Global flood did happen after snowball Earth ...

So you don't have a source for this, it was just an off the cuff assertion on your part that just so happens to quite obviously be complete nonsense to the exact same scientifically illiterate degree of typical Creationist claims?

Global flood happening after a snowball Earth would still require there to be sufficient water on the planet in the first place to cover the planet regardless of it being frozen or not. Ice doesn't generate water - it IS water.

Bayesian operator. Controversial, slightly rhetorical, and because my imagination is visual based on a fleeting glimpse of what happened that sprang ready made into my inner 8k tv....actually intuition and imagination does move science forwards, albeit not always. I'm first to say my thinking ain't off the shelf dog standard.
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 26, 2020 8:09 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:Global flood did happen after snowball Earth ...

So you don't have a source for this, it was just an off the cuff assertion on your part that just so happens to quite obviously be complete nonsense to the exact same scientifically illiterate degree of typical Creationist claims?

Global flood happening after a snowball Earth would still require there to be sufficient water on the planet in the first place to cover the planet regardless of it being frozen or not. Ice doesn't generate water - it IS water.

Bayesian operator. Controversial, slightly rhetorical, and because my imagination is visual based on a fleeting glimpse of what happened that sprang ready made into my inner 8k tv....actually intuition and imagination does move science forwards, albeit not always. I'm first to say my thinking ain't off the shelf dog standard.

Another way of putting that is "flat wrong".
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby Calilasseia » May 19, 2021 6:31 pm

Of course, there's another problem corals present for creationist bullshit. Namely, that they would all have been exterminated after being submerged in an extra 9,000 metres of water.

First of all, the combination of enormous pressure and osmoregulatory shock would have killed them off in about 72 hours. If that didn't finish them off, then being cut off from sunlight would finish most of them off, courtesy of the fact that they exist in obligate mutualist relationships with zooxanthellae. If the zooxanthellae are unable to photosynthesise, they die, and when the zooxanthellae die, so do the corals.

But of course, what would kill them off even faster, is being buried in millions of tons of silt dumped upon them by the massively turbulent water flows that would have resulted from this fantasy episode. Which would also exterminate all the higher aquatic plants.

If you want to know how sensitive corals are to the physical and chemical parameters of their environment, just ask anyone who's successfully run a reef aquarium. Every time you perform a water change in a reef aquarium, you need to extract the replacement water from a reverse osmosis machine to remove all the pollutants, then mix in expensively manufactured synthetic sea salt that has the right concentration of expensive trace elements added. You also have to add extra trace elements periodically by hand to keep the corals happy.

Then you have to provide the corals with a well-defined photoperiod, with the daylight provided by expensively manufactured lighting systems that provide the correct power spectrum across the visual range. Then you need to have in place a battery of expensive filtration systems to remove specific classes of pollutant that would build up in the aquarium otherwise, and you even have to provide appropriate water currents in the aquarium, or the corals will curl up and die.

Finally, you have to provide them with proper food, which means finding ways of cultivating live plankton for the corals to feed upon. That in itself is a dark art to put it mildly.

Of course, this isn't a problem for nature. First, the corals grow at latitudes that provide them with the requisite photoperiod. Second, ocean currents subject the corals to continuous water changes, in some cases at the rate of several cubic miles per hour. Third, the consumption of trace elements is easily replaced by coastal erosion. Fourth, those same currents bring in thousands of tons of plankton for the corals to feast upon, from the open ocean. Fifth, corals aren't going to be subject to severe water chemistry changes, in coastal waters directly mixing with the open ocean, which helps provide a nice constancy of water chemistry due to its sheer volume.

Oh, and of course, these provisos (and some others I haven't mentioned) also apply to other aquatic organisms, both freshwater and marine, which would all have been wiped out wholesale by any fantasy "global flood".
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Hermit » May 20, 2021 6:44 am

Then there's the matter of where all that water came from and where it disappeared to. Apparently, if all the ice on earth melted (which in itself would create an impossible climatic and physical scenario), there'd be just enough to raise global sea levels by between 70 and 80 metres. Mount Ararat, on which the supposed Noah finished up with his supposed ark, consists of two major volcanic cones: Greater Ararat and Little Ararat. Greater Ararat is the highest peak in Turkey and the Armenian Highland with an elevation of 5,137 m (16,854 ft); Little Ararat's elevation is 3,896 m (12,782 ft). There is no evidence of tectonic plates moving anywhere near the speed necessary to have either of them raised to that height between the supposed flood and now, or for ocean depths to have dropped to their current levels.

As for Snowball Earth, it is not even a theory. It is a hypothesis, and the most recent one is hypothesised to have occurred sometime earlier than 650 million years ago during the Cryogenian period. It would have preceded the biblical flood by about 649.955 million years.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Earth Sciences